What's new

What countries are Russia's best allies?

Chinese-Dragon

RETIRED TTA
Reaction score
Country
China
This is from a recent poll in Russia:

Russian public think USA is No.1 enemy – poll — RT Russian politics

October 09, 2014

The overwhelming majority of Russians think the US is their main enemy, and more than half name China as Russia’s main friend, a recent poll shows.

According to the research conducted by the influential Russian VTSIOM center, the number of Russians who think that USA is their country’s main foe grew from 25 percent in 2008 to 73 percent currently. Ukraine ranked second with 32 percent, compared to 21 percent in 2008.

As for friendly countries, 51 percent of Russians see China as their main geopolitical ally, double the 23 percent in 2008. Belarus was second with 32 percent and Kazakhstan third with 20 percent.

------------------------------------------

What do you guys think?

@TaiShang, @ChineseTiger1986, @Kiss_of_the_Dragon, @vostok, @senheiser

A good indicator of the developments of the past 2-3 years. Public opinion seems to have just responded accordingly.

I expect the figure to climb even higher as economic and security cooperation deepens.

Germany seems to be the biggest looser and I wonder where Japan stands.

It's not hard to see why these opinions have emerged, but the tale is told from the US side. Russia is, for the most part, an afterthought in the American geopolitical game. It can cause annoyances in the periphery of our sphere of influence (Europe, Japan), but it's not a credible threat, either economically or militarily.

Our only peer today is China, and our relationship with China is the perfect example of "coopetition." I suspect that if you take the universe of "friend/enemy" selections by country, more likely than not you will start to see a nexus forming around the US and China, which makes sense. Russia will not appear in such a list, because it has never had the power (only the USSR did).

In any case, I expect to see Russia fall further into China's orbit, but since we never "had" Russia anyway, little changes from our perspective. Good for China, though. We'll discuss what to do about Ukraine over coffee and drinks at our next G2 meeting.

Last edited:
We'll discuss what to do about Ukraine over coffee and drinks at our next G2 meeting.

Thanks but no thanks. :) That, honestly, was a strategic trap.

China apparently rejected it and there came the Pivot. If there had been a G2, there would be no Pivot.

By rejecting the proposal, China had to take the bitter pill of greater US military engagement, which, as a military program, in most cases, has succeeded, in my view.

Our only peer today is China, and our relationship with China is the perfect example of "coopetition." I suspect that if you take the universe of "friend/enemy" selections by country, more likely than not you swill start to see a nexus forming around the US and China, which makes sense. Russia will not appear in such a list, because it has never had the power (only the USSR did).

That suggests a move to bi-polarity, which I do not like to see to happen. I anticipate a multi-polar ordering and trust Russia on that. I guess, although not a threat to the US except, perhaps, as a nuclear power, Russia still enjoys an area of influence and hence may be regarded as a pole.

If nothing, China should do everything to ensure that Russia stays as a pole more or less independent from over-reliance. Otherwise, back to the old boring days of uni-polarity that looks like bi-polarity.

Last edited:
Saw this poll.Russians knows very well who are their allies and friends.They also know very well who are their enemies.Not long ago had a talk here in Bulgaria with a middle-aged russian woman.Was about Russia,how are things there and sanctions.Her opinion for USA/EU/Canada etc was the same of Nuland for EU :-) .She said it again and again during our conversation.Her opinion is match by vast vast amount of people in russian language sites.Universal dislike for the West with few exception for Hungary,Chech Rep and Slovakia.And universal warm feelings for Serbia.

We'll discuss what to do about Ukraine over coffee and drinks at our next G2 meeting.
As Taishang has said there is no G2.As for Ukraine-better start preparing land for incoming influx of neo-nazi war criminals to USA and Canada.Because when everything is settle down at the end-Ukraine will be back where country belongst to.And newly-acquired Western friends will be out of Ukraine seeking refugee(as they have done it before after WW2) in North America

No such thing as enemies allies, just business partner, who contributes more is more of a "friend", these things change quicker than old alliances/enemies.

There is no such thing called allies only interests.
In present stage at any case China is far more powerful than Russia.

Thanks but no thanks. :) That, honestly, was a strategic trap.

China apparently rejected it and there came the Pivot. If there had been a G2, there would be no Pivot.

By rejecting the proposal, China had to take the bitter pill of greater US military engagement, which, as a military program, in most cases, has succeeded, in my view.

That suggests a move to bi-polarity, which I do not like to see to happen. I anticipate a multi-polar ordering and trust Russia on that. I guess, although not a threat to the US except, perhaps, as a nuclear power, Russia still enjoys an area of influence and hence may be regarded as a pole.

If nothing, China should do everything to ensure that Russia stays as a pole more or less independent from over-reliance. Otherwise, back to the old boring days of uni-polarity that looks like bi-polarity.

Main problem with the G-2 concept was that it implied concessions and subservience from China. Any Chinese leader who actually agreed to it risked appearing weak.

You don't think they should have picked India as a closer ally?

All the nation mentioned as "geopolitical allay" were their immediate neighbors. China, Belarus and Kazakhstan. Probably nations that make it to their news.

I doubt if India ever makes it into Russian news Media. Yet we were ranked as friends.

However the govt. to govt. relationship is far stronger. Indo-Russia relationship has never banked on public opinion.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom