What's new

What Are You Listening to Right Now - Round 2

That movie probably 2nd to Star Wars in the importance of the music to the movie itself :P

A few big films of that star wars, you're right about. This scene comes to mind most:

Interstellar was a pretty good example of a score playing a rather huge part of a film.

You guys ever watch hamburger hill? I would suggest it if you like Apocalypse Now. The music in that one is quite haunting...philip glass is quite the genius for that sort of stuff.

I haven't seen it, but I am a fan of Philip Glass. The man is a modern genius.

I haven't seen it, but I am a fan of Philip Glass. The man is a modern genius.

Indeed. I would also really suggest the documentary "Fog of War" for those that havent seen it and are really into history/WW2/cold war related stuff. A long one on one interview with Robert Macnamara (with lots of archival footage)....quite unforgettable for me. Philip Glass scored that with some very brilliant pieces of music:

(Just 3 examples - there was so much more - the entire soundtrack is quite excellent)

Also loved Philip Glass's theme for the illusionist:

The main intro is superb but the second movement between 2:25 and 4.10 .....is quite simply sublime.

Good movie, but the music was much much better.

Easy to see why Mozart was a big influence for him.

@anant_s @jbgt90 @Aminroop @scorpionx @Rain Man

Well, I have never come to this thread, but was discussing with my children as to if there are any favorite western music of mine with my children and this came to my mind. Please don't mind if it does not sound good to your ears!! Of course I didn't tell them about the last song. That's a little bit..........errrrr distracting!!:D

Well, I have never come to this thread, but was discussing with my children as to if there are any favorite western music of mine with my children and this came to my mind. Please don't mind if it does not sound good to your ears!! Of course I didn't tell them about the last song. That's a little bit..........errrrr distracting!!:D

BoneyM...yes.
Daddy used to have his records. I do not know the rest.
Those songs reminded me of this song...

And then YouTube suggested me a lot of other MJ songs which I had not watched since long.
Michael Jackson - Black Or White - YouTube

Just realised that MJ's songs used to have stories and that actual song began much later....Never noticed that earlier, infact I am watching these songs after a really long time. All thanks to you @thesolar65
I think Alisha Chinoy's "made in India" song was copied from this...the video I meant.
@jamahir

Michael Jackson - Remember The Time - YouTube

I love Boney M.
Back sometime in 1984-85, a relative of ours brought a Panasonic Tape recorder and player from Dubai and some cassettes of Boney M. That was one of the first Non Indian music i heard and loved it.
My favorite is Ma Baker!

One more producer from late 70s and 80s is Biddu. I mean he might still active but haven't heard much recently.
I'm sure a lot of you would have heard this song sung by Carl Douglas.

He also gave some gem of voices from Pakistan including Brother Sister duo of Nazia and Zoheb Hassan. Nazia's Disco Deewane was perhaps the most iconic hindi disco song from that era.

Its really a tragedy that Nazia passed away so young in her life.
551e5edd906d1.jpg

@Akheilos @Aminroop

Last edited:
I love Boney M.
Back sometime in 1984-85, a relative of ours brought a Panasonic Tape recorder and player from Dubai and some cassettes of Boney M. That was one of the first Non Indian music i heard and loved it.
My favorite is Ma Baker!

One more producer from late 70s and 80s is Biddu. I mean he might still active but haven't heard much recently.

He also gave some gem of voices from Pakistan including Brother Sister duo of Nazia and Zoheb Hassan. Nazia's Disco Deewane was perhaps the most iconic hindi disco song from that era.

Its really a tragedy that Nazia passed so young in her life.
View attachment 275768

@Akheilos @Aminroop
Daddy was a Nazia Hassan fan too. :)
Nazia Hassan, Smita Patil, Madhubala, Divya Bharti and Meena Kumari are some names that I associate with tragic and early deaths.
RIP beautiful ladies.

LOL I remember pumping up the volume of MJ's black and white and annoying my parents to no end hehe.

Back in the day of cassettes!

The real good music we had some nice vinyl too.

Sesame street made a good parody of that song:

Chris cerf was quite a legend on his own....loved his singing for sure.

I love Boney M.
My favorite is Ma Baker!

Its really a tragedy that Nazia passed away so young in her life.
View attachment 275768

@Akheilos @Aminroop
Anant....just checked- she died when she was 35 and I thought she died as a teenager.

They are really testing the censorboards but damn

The real question is whether there should be a Censor Board at all? Let there be a ratings (not censorship) agency and let people decide for themselves whether they want to spend their own money to see the movie or not.

Anant....just checked- she died when she was 35 and I thought she died as a teenager.
Nazia and her brother were teenage prodigies.
Back_cover_of_album_-Disco_Deewane-.jpg

Nazia won best female singer award in 1981 when she was 15 or 16 years old for her Zeenat Aman hit Aap jaisa koi (Qurbani).

In the context of all this, she was too young a soul to leave the world at age of 35.

The real question is whether there should be a Censor Board at all? Let there be a ratings (not censorship) agency and let people decide for themselves whether they want to spend their own money to see the movie or not.
Very well said sir.
People are mature enough to decide what is in good taste and what's not.
unnecessary censorship is usually counter-productive.

Nazia and her brother were teenage prodigies.
View attachment 275788
Nazia won best female singer award in 1981 when she was 15 or 16 years old for her Zeenat Aman hit Aap jaisa koi (Qurbani).

In the context of all this, she was too young a soul to leave the world at age of 35.

Very well said sir.
People are mature enough to decide what is in good taste and what's not.
unnecessary censorship is usually counter-productive.
I knew about the Qurbani part. Lol Ostensibly my chachu used to play Nazia Hassan's songs early in the morning, while in a room near by my dada Ji used to listen to Bhajjans. :lol:
She must have been really famous to have reached the audience down south. :-)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom