What's new

We Pakistanis Love Bollywood, We Can Love The People Too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norboo

BANNED
Reaction score
Here's an interesting article by Syed Mubashir Zaidi, editor of Dawn News TV, Islamabad.

"This is for the first time when majority of Pakistanis, be it media or street talk, more or less felt almost nothing about Hillary Clinton's statement about India playing a lead role in the region. Most Pakistanis have heard this before about Pakistan from the US. No rhetoric for now. This is a welcome thing. And the reason: Pakistan is facing a bigger threat from within. The spate of suicide bombings and the sliding economic conditions have forced its people to ignore the right-wing mantra of 'hate India' or 'watch India-US alliance'.

The only reaction on Clinton's statement came from Foreign minister Hina Rabbani Khar, who said Pakistan will not accept hegemony of any country in the region. But that statement was more meant for the military-dominated security apparatus which still is India-centric, than people at large. That's how it goes in Pakistan. Its foreign policy is always dictated by the powerful military.

But during Khar's trip to India, the two countries agreed upon some CBMs. It's a welcome sign. Also welcomed in Pakistan is India's response to the recent attacks in Mumbai. No finger pointing towards Pakistan has made Pakistanis take a sigh of relief-at least for now.

Away from the capital, bigger cities like Karachi and Lahore are full of Indian beauty products. Indian movies are regularly hitting theatres. The theatres in Pakistan are again thriving because of Indian movies after the collapse of the local film industry. At homes, Indian soap operas or crime series CID are watched regularly. That's why many Pakistanis ask: why can't Indians and Pakistanis be friends? The answer is simple. The governments of both countries are turning a blind eye to the desire of their people.

Pakistan's powerful judiciary is also inspired by the Indian judicial activism. On a daily basis, cases from Indian jurisprudence are quoted in the Supreme Court where all political controversies end up like India. For majority of Pakistanis, India-Pakistan rivalry is like Pakistan-China friendship. Rhetoric in curriculum moulds young minds in both countries towards a relationship that is based on hate. This has given rise to a false notion that even engaging with India would mean conceding ground.

The biggest compliment that an ordinary Pakistani would give to India is its commitment to democracy. Pakistani writers in all newspapers openly admire India's democracy and desire the same in Pakistan. Bollywood films and India's economic rise also fancy many Pakistanis, particularly the youth.

That's where India should come forward and engage with Pakistan and its people. As a first step, India should start offering admissions to Pakistani students in Indian universities. Even students exchange programme between universities of two countries may not be such a bad beginning.

Why should India engage with Pakistan in a positive way? Because India's ambitions to be a global player will always remain unfulfilled if an important neighbour remains unhappy. This may not stop India's economic or international rise, but it will not stabilize the region. India has to take the lead before another democratic dispensation in Pakistan gets wrapped up and we go back to failed summits and threatening postures. Please hurry up. Things are changing."

When will the day come when people of both nations will chant, "Hindi-Pakistani, Bhai Bhai"?

I don't love Bollywood, or anything even close to it, with its plagiarism & the endlessly repeated movie plots. Many Pakistanis do not like Bollywood or Indian soaps. Many do. I don't mind Pakistan & India have amicable relations, & I hope they resolve each other's issues, & have a beneficial relationship. But I don't want to kiss the butt-s of Indians like this article does. I don't like people that kiss butt-s.

i would admit that,in india there are a lot misconceptions about pakistan and pakistanis.
before joining this forum even i had several misconceptions,many of which are cleared now.the story of the pakistani guy(i forgot the name,the one with long beard) who along who did a lot for charity made me dumbstruck.
one these misconceptions are cleared in both sides,we can have a happy time.

to be honest i dont know what is there to love in bollywood..i have seen thousands of people from all over globe following bollywood movies like crazy..but i myself find very few bollywood movies to be intriguing...also lets not talk about daily hindi soaps(I wish all those who make these soaps disappear overnight)...

But quote about our judiciary system is true...our supreme court is highly respected....

I dont think Indian universities will ever give admission to pakistani students..but it can be tried...

I don't love Bollywood, or anything even close to it, with its plagiarism & the endlessly repeated movie plots. Many Pakistanis do not like Bollywood or Indian soaps. I don't mind Pakistan & India have amicable relations, & I hope they resolve each other's issues, & have a beneficial relationship. But I don't want to kiss the butt-s of Indians like this article does. I don't like people that kiss butt-s.

What is wrong in bollywood??? I agree most films are same but have you seen some movies like
1. Swadesh,
2. Lagaan,
3. Rajneeti,
4. Sarkar,
5. Omkara and many more....

There are many movies which is class apart.. Music of mahesh bhatts Movies are class... I have observed you Bilal, I feel you hate anything which is Indian..... please open your mind and try to appreciate quality things...

I don't love Bollywood, or anything even close to it, with its plagiarism & the endlessly repeated movie plots. Many Pakistanis do not like Bollywood or Indian soaps. Many do. I don't mind Pakistan & India have amicable relations, & I hope they resolve each other's issues, & have a beneficial relationship. But I don't want to kiss the butt-s of Indians like this article does. I don't like people that kiss butt-s.

no one asked your expert opinions about Bolloywood, why do you have to troll in every thread ? There is no doubt that Bollywood is liked in general in Pakistan, whether you like it or not. Liking something does not mean your kissing butt, i find that funny that you say that when you live in the US yourself.

personally i dont like indian movies

bt i still watch them as a time pass

What is wrong in bollywood??? I agree most films are same but have you seen some movies like
1. Swadesh,
2. Lagaan,
3. Rajneeti,
4. Sarkar,
5. Omkara and many more....

There are many movies which is class apart.. Music of mahesh bhatts Movies are class... I have observed you Bilal, I feel you hate anything which is Indian..... please open your mind and try to appreciate quality things...

Not really. There are some very good Indian movies, such as Taare Zameen Par, Black, Lagaan; & my favorite Indian movie of all time, "Dil Se", an extremely underrated movie. But most Indian movies aren't really great, & I don't remember the last time I saw one. If you read some of my other posts & threads, you will see that I have expressed appreciation for many Indian things, including my heritage.

no one asked your expert opinions about Bolloywood, why do you have to troll in every thread ? There is no doubt that Bollywood is liked in general in Pakistan, whether you like it or not. Liking something does not mean your kissing butt, i find that funny that you say that when you live in the US yourself.

This thread is about Pakistanis loving Bollywood, & I wanted to set the record straight. Yes, there are some people that like Bollywood. But there are many people as well that don't like it at all. Who's trolling? I'm just responding to the title of the thread. I don't care about people's personal choices on movies. I suggest you read the article again carefully, & see the butt kissing. I have plenty of close Indian Gujarati & Punjabi friends, I have family in India as well, I appreciate them & don't see them any differently from my Pakistani friends, but that doesn't mean I kiss their butt-s like this article does.

Not really. There are some very good Indian movies, such as Taare Zameen Par, Black, Lagaan; & my favorite Indian movie of all time, "Dil Se", an extremely underrated movie. But most Indian movies aren't really great, & I don't remember the last time I saw one. If you read some of my other posts & threads, you will see that I have expressed appreciation for many Indian things, including my heritage.

Well, if you are expecting a 100% goodmovie turnout rate you'd be hard pressed to find that even in Hollywood. But the Bollywood movies which end up being super hits like Dabangg, Ready,Golmaal etc etc target the mass population,(which to be have somewhat similar tastes in both countries) want to go to a movie to get entertained not involved!!
But Bollywood does tend to have movies for all kinds of people. Since you've given a list of movies which you like, I can safely say You'll also like Zindagi Na Mile Dobara, Rock on, Rockford, Hyderabad Blues and Delhi Belly.

Mera Ammi prohibits buying any Indian products or Bollywood movies.
In my house, we never watch Indian movies/shows.
My family never buys Indian food or Achaars.
All my Pakistani friends who I talk to agreed that any Pakistani who watches Bollywood movies or buys Indian products are traitors.

I wonder why Dawn has nonsensical articles like these.

Mera Ammi prohibits buying any Indian products or Bollywood movies.
In my house, we never watch Indian movies/shows.
All my Pakistani friends who I talk to agreed anyone who watches Bollywood movies is a traitor.

I wonder why Dawn has nonsensical articles like these.

That's ridiculous!! Watching Indian movies makes you a traitor?

I dont watch indian movies nor do I find their women attractive enough to know their names and search on google...

and how is that leading to accept a whole nation that shows hatred towards us ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom