What's new

We may strike Iraq jihadists, ally with foe Iran, US says

surya kiran

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
I had said this long back and kept saying over the past 2 years, US and Iran will ally, its just a matter of time. And here it comes............

We may strike Iraq jihadists, ally with foe Iran, US says

MOSUL (Iraq)/WASHINGTON: The United States said it could launch air strikes and act jointly with its arch-enemy Iran to support the Iraqi government, after a rampage by Sunni Islamist insurgents across Iraq that has torn up traditional alliances in the Middle East.

Jihadists from the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant have routed Baghdad's army and seized the north of the country in the past week, threatening to dismember Iraq and unleash all-out sectarian warfare with no regard for national borders.

Joint action between the United States and Iran to help prop up the government of their mutual ally would be unprecedented since Iran's 1979 revolution, demonstrating the urgency of the alarm raised by the lightning insurgent advance.

US secretary of state John Kerry called the advance an "existential threat" for Iraq. Asked if the United States could cooperate with Iran against the insurgents, Kerry told Yahoo News: "I wouldn't rule out anything that would be constructive."

As for air strikes: "They're not the whole answer, but they may well be one of the options that are important," he said. "When you have people murdering, assassinating in these mass massacres, you have to stop that. And you do what you need to do if you need to try to stop it from the air or otherwise."

Britain, once Washington's only major battlefield ally in Iraq, announced it had already reached out to Iran in recent days. A US official said meetings with Iran could come this week on the sidelines of separate international nuclear talks.

Iran has longstanding ties to Iraq's Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki and other Shia politicians who came to power in Iraq after the US invasion that toppled Saddam Hussein in 2003.

ISIL seeks a caliphate ruled on mediaeval Sunni Muslim precepts in Iraq and Syria, fighting against both Iraq's Maliki and Syria's Bashar al-Assad. It considers all Shias to be heretics deserving death and has boasted of massacring hundreds of Iraqi troops who surrendered to its forces last week.

Its fighters are joined by other armed Sunni groups, who oppose what they say is oppression by Maliki's Shia-led government in Baghdad.

ISIL fighters and allied Sunni tribesmen overran yet another town on Monday, Saqlawiya west of Baghdad, where they captured six Humvees and two tanks, adding to an arsenal of US-provided armor they have seized from the disintegrating army.

Obama weighing options

US President Barack Obama pulled out all American troops in 2011 and has ruled out sending them back, although he says he is weighing other military options, such as air strikes. A US aircraft carrier has sailed into the Gulf. CNN reported that it was accompanied by a navy warship carrying 550 marines.

The only US military contingent on the ground is the security staff at the US embassy. Washington said on Sunday it was evacuating some diplomatic staff and sending about 100 extra marines and other personnel to help safeguard the facilities.

The sprawling fortified compound on the banks of the Tigris is the largest and most expensive diplomatic mission ever built, a vestige of the days when 170,000 US troops fought to put down a sectarian civil war that followed the 2003 invasion.

Iraqis now face the prospect of a replay of that extreme violence, but this time without American forces to intervene.

Potential cooperation between the United States and Iran shows how dramatically the ISIL advance has redrawn the map of Middle East alliances in a matter of days.

Rouhani has presided over a gradual thaw with the West, including secret talks with Washington that led to a breakthrough preliminary deal last year to ease sanctions in return for curbs on Iran's nuclear program. But open cooperation against a mutual threat would be unprecedented.

A spokesman for British Prime Minister David Cameron confirmed that London had already made overtures to Tehran.
Read full article here : We may strike Iraq jihadists, ally with foe Iran, US says - The Times of India
A US official said talks over Iraq between US and Iranian officials could take place this week in Vienna, where both sides are attending nuclear negotiations

Why do they need iran for???? Carrrier is in Gulf of Hormuz, Or they can send the fighters from their Air bases in Gulf and bomb the shit out of Those punks..

What is the latest story ? I heard the shia militia , Peshmerga forces and Iraqi military were turning the tide ?

What is the latest story ? I heard the shia militia , Peshmerga forces and Iraqi military were turning the tide ?

Like i said in earlier posts... ISIL could forward so quickly is because they were marching in all Sunni held areas where they were welcomed... once they are in Shia Areas their advance stopped... now civilians who are also would be military trained are fighting along with Iraqi soldiers.. now with the Airstrikes coming from US would push back the ISIL @itches

Standard US politician answers are exaggerated into sensational headlines in order to increase hits.

Standard US politician answers are exaggerated into sensational headlines in order to increase hits.
Can the US Navy strike Iraq, on the orders of the President, without congressional approval?

Can the US Navy strike Iraq, on the orders of the President, without congressional approval?

He will get approval but backlash if the House(Republicans) see any cooperation with Iran. The thing is how will it go from there? I don't how the future is going to look for the Iraqi/Syria vicinity.

Like i said in earlier posts... ISIL could forward so quickly is because they were marching in all Sunni held areas where they were welcomed... once they are in Shia Areas their advance stopped... now civilians who are also would be military trained are fighting along with Iraqi soldiers.. now with the Airstrikes coming from US would push back the ISIL @itches

You should know the answer to that, you can't kill an entrenched enemy as a whole through airstrikes, much like the Afghan taliban they will eat the casualties while fleeing across the borders so as to regroup and continue their work. Iran is willing to accept the huge attrition that would occur due to a persistent and sustained ground offensive (and not the kind where you chase them away, leave their sanctuaries across the border intact and then try and draw lines in the sand while they prick and poke you). If the ISIL folks think they're the baddest of the lot, wait till they run into the revolutionary guards and hezzis in proper numbers.

You should know the answer to that, you can't kill an entrenched enemy as a whole through airstrikes, much like the Afghan taliban they will eat the casualties while fleeing across the borders so as to regroup and continue their work. Iran is willing to accept the huge attrition that would occur due to a persistent and sustained ground offensive (and not the kind where you chase them away, leave their sanctuaries across the border intact and then try and draw lines in the sand while they prick and poke you). If the ISIL folks think they're the baddest of the lot, wait till they run into the revolutionary guards and hezzis in proper numbers.

you're right... the air strikes would be collaborated with the ground troops... i was meaning with Iraqi troops not Iranians (not sure if that is going to happen, It's not confirmed) But even if airstrikes from US and revolutionary guards step in to fight ISIL they can only push back them not destroying them entirely.... Sunni populated areas will be dominated by these Punks and the country will be in war for decades... only solution is to divide the country

you're right... the air strikes would be collaborated with the ground troops... i was meaning with Iraqi troops not Iranians (not sure if that is going to happen, It's not confirmed) But even if airstrikes from US and revolutionary guards step in to fight ISIL they can only push back them not destroying them entirely.... Sunni populated areas will be dominated by these Punks and the country will be in war for decades... only solution is to divide the country

It depends upon the numbers, if Iran is willing to be generous with its outlay then an adequate number of Hezzis and other such Iranian fundoos can pretty much rout this particular group of fundoos.

Yes, a US president can use military force for 60 days before needing congressional approval according to the War Powers Act.

However, presidents from both major parties have shown zero respect for the limit that the Constitution placed on the Executive Branch for committing American lives to threats that are not imminent against US forces.

The ball was dropped on this uprising by multiple parties, with the US being in the spot light as to how to react. I do not believe we would spend more blood or treasure with regular infantry deployments, particularly when the Iraqi military officers showed no will to fight themselves.

I am as appalled at the images of the massacres as anyone else, and am just as confused as to what roll the US should play. I do know this country is sick of war and has no stomach for Iraq III.

They are baddest? I know they're evil. Their evil outmatches what Hezzies or IRGC can put forward.

Why do they need iran for???? Carrrier is in Gulf of Hormuz, Or they can send the fighters from their Air bases in Gulf and bomb the shit out of Those punks..

There is no statement of need. But Iran is attempting to be a player on the world stage, and influence on your neighbors is a large contributor to any international prominence. Tehran has a interest in keeping the current government in power, and the violence on the other side of the border.

Yes, a US president can use military force for 60 days before needing congressional approval according to the War Powers Act.

However, presidents from both major parties have shown zero respect for the limit that the Constitution placed on the Executive Branch for committing American lives to threats that are not imminent against US forces.

The ball was dropped on this uprising by multiple parties, with the US being in the spot light as to how to react. I do not believe we would spend more blood or treasure with regular infantry deployments, particularly when the Iraqi military officers showed no will to fight themselves.

I am as appalled at the images of the massacres as anyone else, and am just as confused as to what roll the US should play. I do know this country is sick of war and has no stomach for Iraq III.

I think we know what to do in the short term. It's just this is something which will go on in the long term due to the state of the region. Unless the Iraqi government appeals to the minorities and makes attractive reform. There's no long term solution. Did the Iraqi government respond to any calls by the US president for political reform?

It depends upon the numbers, if Iran is willing to be generous with its outlay then an adequate number of Hezzis and other such Iranian fundoos can pretty much rout this particular group of fundoos.

That's not possible... .. Once ISIL fall back to Sunni areas and if Iranian enter there the situation will totally change... its going to be real Shia-Sunni war and you'll see more Sunnis supporting and entering to fight against Iranians and the Iraqi army which now consists of mostly Shias

Back
Top Bottom