What's new

Water crisis hits Islamabad

Zibago

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

ISLAMABAD: Acute shortage of water tankers, mushrooming of illegal water boring, wastage of water and illegal water connections have deepen the water crisis in federal capital.

As many as 53 water tankers have been provided by Capital Development Authority (CDA) to cater the water need of over two million population of federal capital Islamabad and out of this minimal number 21 are out of order since long due to shortage of funds required for their maintenance.

On one side the citizens of federal capital are bearing the brunt of shortage of water owing to negligence of CDA and on the other the stance of management is correct to considerable extent that those living in posh sectors are wasting the water due to which those living in middle class sector are suffering.

Management is of the view that about 5 cars and vehicles are present in each home in posh sectors and too much water is being wasted on washing these cars therein. Even the inmates of these palatial homes waste water enormously while watering their home based gardens.

As many as 150 tube-wells are repairable in sectors F and G. On the other hand officers of water supply department have pocketed million of rupees in the name of repair of tube-wells through fake bills.

Member Engineering Shahid Sohail has failed to take any action against the officials involved in this corrupt practice despite complaints against them. Those who have drawn over 100 million rupees through fake invoices are taking shelter under the umbrella of CDA labour union.

40 per cent out of available water is stolen while the underground water level has gone down from 160 feet to 120 feet due to more than 60,000 borings.

Water tanker is available at the rate o Rs 2000 while its official rate is fixed Rs 100 per tanker and during the upcoming holy month of Ramazan the prices of tanker are likely to increase by Rs 3000 to 4000.

Bilal Ahmad a citizen of Islamabad told Daily Times that no preparations have been made to ensure smooth supply of water to the citizens during holy month of Ramazan.

The major reason for water paucity is that CDA has taken no action against 7342 illegal water connections in federal capital so far.

An official of the Water Directorate of the CDA told Daily Times on the condition of anonymity that influential people have got fake and illegal connections and CDA is unable to take any action against them. Once notices were sent to all water stealers, will change the scenario. According to CDA record 6674 fake water connections are operating in Islamabad. 2172 fake connections exist in sector I-10, 793 in sector I-8 and 1000 in Hummak. 347 fake connections are operating in posh sectors of F and G while 221 fake connections are running in other sectors. It has become a challenge for management to take action against them.
According to previous year report of Pakistan Council of Research in Water Resources (PCRWR) polluted water is supplied to citizens of Islamabad from 28 out of total 33 filtration plants. Water samples of 11 filtration plants were tested in CDA laboratory on February, 25, 2016. As per laboratory report 7 out of these 11 filtration plants are providing contaminated water.

The report stated that filtration plants located in minister enclave, G-8/1, Margalla Town, I-9/4, F-9 Park and G-9/2 are providing polluted and unsafe water to citizens. Only two filtration plants of G-9/2 and filtration plants of G/10 and I-10/2 are providing clean water.

When contacted Dr Waseem Khawaja, spokesman PIMS told Daily Times that polluted and contaminated water spread fatal water borne diseases like Cholera, Diarrhoea, dysentery, hepatitis A and E and typhoid.

Member Engineering Shahid Sohal said campaign has been launched against water stealers and fake connections and several illegal connections have been severed in I-9 and I-10 in the first phase. Operation is underway against all water stealers. Filtration plants are providing clean water and water of 7 filtration plants was declared unhygienic in CDA laboratory report. These were rechecked by PCRWR in March and were cleared.

CDA spokesman told Daily Times that according to March, 11, 2016 PCRWR report clean water is being supplied from filtration plants. Water is stolen at large scale in Islamabad and operation is being conducted against the water stealers.

To a question he said some connections out of 6674 illegal connections have been disconnected and operation is underway against the remaining connections.

Member Engineering Shahid Sohail told that better supply of water will be ensured to citizens with 74 million gallon water per day. Contact has been made with IESCO to ensure un-interrupted water supply to citizens. Mobile generators will also be used as alternative for supply of water during holy month of Ramazan from tube wells so that water supply is not disrupted due to load shedding.

A meeting has been held in Convention Centre in connection with shortage of water supply. Member Administration Amir Ali Ahmad, Member Engineering Shahid Sohail, Member Environment Sana Ullah Aman, Director General Water Supply and other senior officers attended the meeting to consider proposals with reference to water paucity.

Finance Wing sources said that due to media reports about dysfunctional water tanks and water shortage funds have been released for repair of 21 out of order water tankers. More 10 tankers will start supplying water from next week.
The administration claimed that repair work on motor operating in Khanpur Dam has been completed, therefore, water supply from Khanpur dam will be increased.

Member Engineering said that water reservoir available in Simli Dam is enough to cater to needs of citizens during monsoon season.

Member Administ-ration Amir Ali Ahmad said all the available source will be utilized to ensure uninterrupted supply of water in Islamabad, Directorate of Sanitation has been directed to issue notices on wastage of water.
http://dailytimes.com.pk/islamabad/29-May-16/water-crisis-hits-islamabad
Karachi mein shandar kamyabi key baad ab tanker mafia ka shere Iqtadaar mein purjoosh istaqbal
@PaklovesTurkiye @Musafir117
@Moonlight @The Sandman
Apkey areas mein kiya scene hey?
@User @Jonah Arthur

Well F-7 or G-13 me to kuch bhtr hai water Tanker Available in 800-1000 Rs in G-13 and 1200-1500 in F-7..

Baki jinhn ne boring krwai hui hai wo apna pani use kr rhay hain :P :P

Well F-7 or G-13 me to kuch bhtr hai water Tanker Available in 800-1000 Rs in G-13 and 1200-1500 in F-7..

Baki jinhn ne boring krwai hui hai wo apna pani use kr rhay hain :P :P
Bhai jan boring to malik makaan he karwa rahein hain ham renters kahan :D
Oper sey boring par 1 lakh tak kharcha a sakta hay

It hasn't hit now, it's been present for the past couple of years or so, anyone who didn't see it coming was blind I'd say.

People install illegal connection to the main water line and lo and behold, you get none downstream. Another problem is that the old pipes and joints are leaking underground everywhere, hence wastage.

As for the tankers, except the prices alone, the availability is also a major concern. You have to get in line after fajr to register a request and then the tanker comes about midday.

Water tankers? In the capital? Seriously!!!
I thought each and every thing is governed rightly there, damn, my movement plans needs to get reconsidered

Btw what rent do you pay for an average house for family ? Xdd

Water tankers? In the capital? Seriously!!!
I thought each and every thing is governed rightly there, damn, my movement plans needs to get reconsidered

Btw what rent do you pay for an average house for family ? Xdd
You speak of a bygone era my friend :D
Well i wont disclose the rent i pay but it can vary depending on sector e-g a house in I-9 sector can cost upto 60-70k but in F-10 can go upto 1.3 to 1.8 lakh per month

ISLAMABAD: Acute shortage of water tankers, mushrooming of illegal water boring, wastage of water and illegal water connections have deepen the water crisis in federal capital.

As many as 53 water tankers have been provided by Capital Development Authority (CDA) to cater the water need of over two million population of federal capital Islamabad and out of this minimal number 21 are out of order since long due to shortage of funds required for their maintenance.

On one side the citizens of federal capital are bearing the brunt of shortage of water owing to negligence of CDA and on the other the stance of management is correct to considerable extent that those living in posh sectors are wasting the water due to which those living in middle class sector are suffering.

Management is of the view that about 5 cars and vehicles are present in each home in posh sectors and too much water is being wasted on washing these cars therein. Even the inmates of these palatial homes waste water enormously while watering their home based gardens.

As many as 150 tube-wells are repairable in sectors F and G. On the other hand officers of water supply department have pocketed million of rupees in the name of repair of tube-wells through fake bills.

Member Engineering Shahid Sohail has failed to take any action against the officials involved in this corrupt practice despite complaints against them. Those who have drawn over 100 million rupees through fake invoices are taking shelter under the umbrella of CDA labour union.

40 per cent out of available water is stolen while the underground water level has gone down from 160 feet to 120 feet due to more than 60,000 borings.

Water tanker is available at the rate o Rs 2000 while its official rate is fixed Rs 100 per tanker and during the upcoming holy month of Ramazan the prices of tanker are likely to increase by Rs 3000 to 4000.

Bilal Ahmad a citizen of Islamabad told Daily Times that no preparations have been made to ensure smooth supply of water to the citizens during holy month of Ramazan.

The major reason for water paucity is that CDA has taken no action against 7342 illegal water connections in federal capital so far.

An official of the Water Directorate of the CDA told Daily Times on the condition of anonymity that influential people have got fake and illegal connections and CDA is unable to take any action against them. Once notices were sent to all water stealers, will change the scenario. According to CDA record 6674 fake water connections are operating in Islamabad. 2172 fake connections exist in sector I-10, 793 in sector I-8 and 1000 in Hummak. 347 fake connections are operating in posh sectors of F and G while 221 fake connections are running in other sectors. It has become a challenge for management to take action against them.
According to previous year report of Pakistan Council of Research in Water Resources (PCRWR) polluted water is supplied to citizens of Islamabad from 28 out of total 33 filtration plants. Water samples of 11 filtration plants were tested in CDA laboratory on February, 25, 2016. As per laboratory report 7 out of these 11 filtration plants are providing contaminated water.

The report stated that filtration plants located in minister enclave, G-8/1, Margalla Town, I-9/4, F-9 Park and G-9/2 are providing polluted and unsafe water to citizens. Only two filtration plants of G-9/2 and filtration plants of G/10 and I-10/2 are providing clean water.

When contacted Dr Waseem Khawaja, spokesman PIMS told Daily Times that polluted and contaminated water spread fatal water borne diseases like Cholera, Diarrhoea, dysentery, hepatitis A and E and typhoid.

Member Engineering Shahid Sohal said campaign has been launched against water stealers and fake connections and several illegal connections have been severed in I-9 and I-10 in the first phase. Operation is underway against all water stealers. Filtration plants are providing clean water and water of 7 filtration plants was declared unhygienic in CDA laboratory report. These were rechecked by PCRWR in March and were cleared.

CDA spokesman told Daily Times that according to March, 11, 2016 PCRWR report clean water is being supplied from filtration plants. Water is stolen at large scale in Islamabad and operation is being conducted against the water stealers.

To a question he said some connections out of 6674 illegal connections have been disconnected and operation is underway against the remaining connections.

Member Engineering Shahid Sohail told that better supply of water will be ensured to citizens with 74 million gallon water per day. Contact has been made with IESCO to ensure un-interrupted water supply to citizens. Mobile generators will also be used as alternative for supply of water during holy month of Ramazan from tube wells so that water supply is not disrupted due to load shedding.

A meeting has been held in Convention Centre in connection with shortage of water supply. Member Administration Amir Ali Ahmad, Member Engineering Shahid Sohail, Member Environment Sana Ullah Aman, Director General Water Supply and other senior officers attended the meeting to consider proposals with reference to water paucity.

Finance Wing sources said that due to media reports about dysfunctional water tanks and water shortage funds have been released for repair of 21 out of order water tankers. More 10 tankers will start supplying water from next week.
The administration claimed that repair work on motor operating in Khanpur Dam has been completed, therefore, water supply from Khanpur dam will be increased.

Member Engineering said that water reservoir available in Simli Dam is enough to cater to needs of citizens during monsoon season.

Member Administ-ration Amir Ali Ahmad said all the available source will be utilized to ensure uninterrupted supply of water in Islamabad, Directorate of Sanitation has been directed to issue notices on wastage of water.
Karachi mein shandar kamyabi key baad ab tanker mafia ka shere Iqtadaar mein purjoosh istaqbal
@Moonlight @The Sandman
@User @Jonah Arthur
CDA sirf malli k kam tak theek ha bake bekar ha wo.

You speak of a bygone era my friend :D
Well i wont disclose the rent i pay but it can vary depending on sector e-g a house in I-9 sector can cost upto 60-70k but in F-10 can go upto 1.3 to 1.8 lakh per month

damn, thats costly XDDD

Hum ne to krwai hui hai :D :D

aaj kal to tenants pehle boring or gas ka poochte hain phr ghar dekhte hain :D

@Moonlight @The Sandman
@User @Jonah Arthur

Solution to that lie just behind Margalla Hills. Just will is needed.

Excessive boring and digging for wells create sink holes also earth quakes etc would be more common when excessive under ground structure is changed due to void left by water sucked from ground

sinkhole-alley-fl2.jpg

Sometimes water keeps the land above in tact absence of water level causes the land layer to collapse

To be honest a nation like Pakistan water is Abundant

a) GLACIER / RIVER WATER (ABUNDENT SO MUCH CAN'T STOP IT )
b) Moon soon rain (Abundent)

It is the "NA LAIQI" of civilian democractic government they can't sort water issue

Electricity Shortages:

a) No Dams
b) No usage of modern more efficient wires (super conducting new ones)
c) No Alterntive energy planning
d) Electricity THEFT
f) Out dated equipment and surface wires above the ground (Lack of planning)

Water shoratges:
a) 40-50 year old piping and lack of water conservation
b) No artificial water towers / lakes for conservation of seasonal waters
c) Lack of modern water meters in homes
d) Mafia , selling water that is FREE to citizens for 6,000 Rupees to 10,000 Rupees
e) lack of rain water conservation towers

• Years 1800 European cities has simple Canal systems to irrigate water

Natural water conservation tower saving rain water
dezeen_Water-Towers-of-Ireland-by-Jamie-Young_4.jpg

Rain water diversion from roof to a private tankers for free fresh water
systemdesign.jpg

Qudrat to pani deti hai

people%20walking%20to%20safety%20after%20rain%20hit%20karachi.jpg

Phir bhi pani ki shortage , nalaiq Government

Jahilana , mind set also helps in backwardness

a) No conservation at city level
b) No conservation at village level
c) No conservation at neighbourhood level

Isi Liya JIHALAT ko bura kehtain hain , whose only solution is Take big loan to solve all problems

Aek Artificaial lake or tower bhi nahi bana saktein ye Civilian governments

Last edited:
wastage of water
Prophet advised not to waste water yet his ummat does exact opposite :tsk:

Rest of the article disgusting corruption and dishonesty has infestred Pakistan like the locust had Egypt :tsk:

1 lakh oo too expensive in indian punjab i got it done for 29k 2 yrs back

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom