What's new

Washington Post: Why Saudi Arabia can’t get a nuclear weapon!

scythian500

Reaction score
Country
Iran, Islamic Republic Of
Why Saudi Arabia can’t get a nuclear weapon

By Fareed Zakaria Opinion writer June 11 at 8:13 PM

Saudi Arabia has been periodically dropping hints that, should Iran’s nuclear ambitions go unchecked, it might just have to get nuclear weapons itself. This week, the Saudi ambassador to London made yet another explicit threat, warning that “all options will be on the table.”

Oh, please! Saudi Arabia isn’t going to build a nuclear weapon. Saudi Arabia can’t build a nuclear weapon. Saudi Arabia hasn’t even built a car. (By 2017, after much effort, the country is expected to manufacture its first automobile (The factory would create 2,000 jobs, with major vehicle manufacturing firms from Malaysia, China, Germany, Japan and Korea also involved in the project, Arab News reported..)

Saudi Arabia can dig holes in the ground and pump out oil but little else. Oil revenue is about 45 percent of its gross domestic product, a staggeringly high figure, much larger than petro-states such as Nigeria and Venezuela. It makes up almost 90 percent of the Saudi government’s revenue. Despite decades of massive government investment, lavish subsidies and cheap energy, manufacturing is less than 10 percent of Saudi GDP.

Where would Saudi Arabia train the scientists to work on its secret program? The country’s education system is backward and dysfunctional, having been largely handed over to its puritanical and reactionary religious establishment. The country ranks 73rd in the quality of its math and science education,according to the World Economic Forum — abysmally low for a rich country. Iran, despite 36 years of sanctions and a lower per capital GDP, fares far better at 44.

And who would work in Saudi Arabia’s imagined nuclear industry? In a penetrating book, Karen Elliott House, formerly of the Wall Street Journal,describes the Saudi labor market: “One of every three people in Saudi Arabia is a foreigner. Two out of every three people with a job of any sort are foreign. And in Saudi Arabia’s anemic private sector, fully nine out of ten people holding jobs are non-Saudi. . . . Saudi Arabia, in short, is a society in which all too many men do not want to work at jobs for which they are qualified; in which women by and large aren’t allowed to work; and in which, as a result, most of the work is done by foreigners.”

None of this is to suggest that the kingdom is in danger of collapse. Far from it. The regime’s finances are strong, though public spending keeps rising and oil revenue has been declining. The royal family has deftly used patronage, politics, religion and repression to keep the country stable and quiescent. But that has produced a system of stagnation for most, with a gilded elite surfing on top with almost unimaginable sums of money.

Saudi Arabia’s increased assertiveness has been portrayed as strategic. In fact, it is a panicked and emotional response to Iran, fueled in no small measure by long-standing anti-Shiite bigotry. It is pique masquerading as strategy. In October 2013, after having spent years and millions of dollars campaigning for a seat on the U.N. Security Council, it abruptly declined the post at the last minute, signaling that it was annoyed at U.S. policy in its region.

Its most recent international activism, the air campaign in Yemen, has badly backfired. Bruce Riedel, a former top White House aide, says that damage to civilians and physical infrastructure “has created considerable bad blood between Yemenis and their rich Gulf neighbors that will poison relations for years. Yemenis always resented their rich brothers, and now many will want revenge.” He notes that the air campaign is being directed by the new defense minister, the king’s 29-year-old son, who has no experience in military affairs or much else.

But couldn’t Saudi Arabia simply buy a nuclear bomb? That’s highly unlikely. Any such effort would have to take place secretly, under the threat of sanctions, Western retaliation and interception. Saudi Arabia depends heavily on foreigners and their firms to help with its energy industry, build its infrastructure, buy its oil and sell it goods and services.

It is often claimed that Pakistan would sell nukes to the Saudis. And it’s true that the Saudis have bailed out Pakistan many times. But the government in Islamabad is well aware that such a deal could make it a pariah and result in sanctions. It is unlikely to risk that, even to please its sugar daddy in Riyadh. In April, Pakistan refused repeated Saudi pleas to join the air campaign in Yemen.

So let me make a prediction: Whatever happens with Iran’s nuclear program, 10 years from now Saudi Arabia won’t have nuclear weapons. Because it can’t.

Last edited:
the KSA has $800 billion in cash reserves. to say they can't buy the bomb or at least import the people and resources to build them I find ignorant.

the only country who could stop them won't because they have leverage over us with OIL

the price to pay for t nukes and delivery systems won't be cheap, but they'll do it even it means it'll cost them over $100 billion dollars!!

the U.S should sell the KSA/GCC two Ohio Class SSBN with a full complete of Trident II warheads for $100 billion!!

if NK can have nukes if Israel can nukes then why not Saudi Arabia :D

BushKiss2.jpg

the KSA has $800 billion in cash reserves. to say they can't buy the bomb or at least import the people and resources to build them I find ignorant.

the only country who could stop them won't because they have leverage over us with OIL

the price to pay for t nukes and delivery systems won't be cheap, but they'll do it even it means it'll cost them over $100 billion dollars!!

the U.S should sell the KSA/GCC two Ohio Class SSBN with a full complete of Trident II warheads for $100 billion!!

BushKiss2.jpg

the Picture and the idea of selling Ohio Class Subs with Trident 2 Missile is a bit nasty ....
the day they got this Subs , Iran Nightmare will come true ... and that wont be good for region , cause it will trigger a Nuclear arms race in ME

As soon as i read the article i knew an Iranian user would eventually post it here :lol:

Saudi Arabia hasn’t even built a car.
So haven't North Korea and Pakistan
Well Pakistan did but it was shitty as f%*k!
Point being this argument of his makes no sense.

The country ranks 73rd in the quality of its math and science education

His home country India ranks just above at 68th
Pakistan at 103
Israel at 98th
Surprise surprise Brazil is at 131st

All of these countries do have a nuclear weapons program or in the case of Brazil came close to achieving it.

t is unlikely to risk that, even to please its sugar daddy in Riyadh
You know the author is an Indian when he tries to take these digs at Pakistan.

I don't think Saudis will ever get a nuclear weapons program going but not because as Fareed put it "Saudi Arabia can dig holes in the ground and pump out oil but little else"
With the amount of resources they have they will eventually pull it off.

But because
a) America won't ever let them and they can't say no to her.
b) With Iran no where near achieving a nuclear weapons capability what would be the need for them to go for it ???

As soon as i read the article i knew an Iranian user would eventually post it here :lol:

So haven't North Korea and Pakistan
Well Pakistan did but it was shitty as f%*k!
Point being this argument of his makes no sense.

His home country India ranks just above at 68th
Pakistan at 103
Israel at 98th
Surprise surprise Brazil is at 131st

All of these countries do have a nuclear weapons program or in the case of Brazil came close to achieving it.

You know the author is an Indian when he tries to take these digs at Pakistan.

I don't think Saudis will ever get a nuclear weapons program going but not because as Fareed put it "Saudi Arabia can dig holes in the ground and pump out oil but little else"
With the amount of resources they have they will eventually pull it off.

But because
a) America won't ever let them and they can't say no to her.
b) With Iran no where near achieving a nuclear weapons capability what would be the need for them to go for it ???

I agree that the examples are not directly related...what Farid wanted to achieve was to give us a hint that Saudi land has not neither educational background...scientific necessities...nor the industrial infra needed to do such a job... We all know that even North Korea is million times more capable scientifically than Saudi land that have a backward education system per Farid's article... and it is a known fact that Pakistan be it 200th in money and math and science still has 1000 times more scientific minds and needed infra to build a nuclear arsenal... This is the point...

and believe me... God given money that falls from sky can not buy everything... The competency and being industrialized needs tens of different factors in a single country... having money is only one part of at least tens of different parts.... It is like that scam scandal where Saudis used to pay European and foreign scientists so they publish their scientific and research papers under the name of one Saudi university... They got busted.... They are a source of laugh in scientific community... I remember I was checking the ranking and suddenly over night Saudi jumped from nearly 80th to 23th or 24th... I said to myself.. there is something fishy about it..and there we go!!

Money is only helpful when it meets other needed elements... Money will not help if you have a nation that does not have the desire to spend time on research and science for the sake of science...

BushKiss2.jpg
No buddy... it is not about having the money to buy it... Neither US, nor Israel will ever let an unstable system to have such weapons... If US were so kind to their submitted sheikhs, they could have sold them F-22 and F-35s first... I,m sure saudis are willing to pay $5 billion a piece for these fighters!! I say, world never let these reckless family run state to have nukes...

I agree that the examples are not directly related...what Farid wanted to achieve was to give us a hint that Saudi land has not neither educational background...scientific necessities...nor the industrial infra needed to do such a job... We all know that even North Korea is million times more capable scientifically than Saudi land that have a backward education system per Farid's article... and it is a known fact that Pakistan be it 200th in money and math and science still has 1000 times more scientific minds and needed infra to build a nuclear arsenal... This is the point...

and believe me... God given money that falls from sky can not buy everything... The competency and being industrialized needs tens of different factors in a single country... having money is only one part of at least tens of different parts.... It is like that scam scandal where Saudis used to pay European and foreign scientists so they publish their scientific and research papers under the name of one Saudi university... They got busted.... They are a source of laugh in scientific community... I remember I was checking the ranking and suddenly over night Saudi jumped from nearly 80th to 23th or 24th... I said to myself.. there is something fishy about it..and there we go!!

Money is only helpful when it meets other needed elements... Money will not help if you have a nation that does not have the desire to spend time on research and science for the sake of science...

No buddy... it is not about having the money to buy it... Neither US, nor Israel will ever let an unstable system to have such weapons... If US were so kind to their submitted sheikhs, they could have sold them F-22 and F-35s first... I,m sure saudis are willing to pay $5 billion a piece for these fighters!! I say, world never let these reckless family run state to have nukes...

F-22 is not for sell no matter who. F-35 sure KSA will get that in the future.

just saying the no matter how the price if KSA wants the nuke they'll get it.

the seeds of fear has already taken root.

Fareed Zakaria is a shunned out, dog, from Hindu-stan and calls has a Muslims name.

There is nothing he enjoys more than bashing Muslims countries around.

wow... Is it really only me who get the main point of Farid here or it is just a global ignorance? He does not mean building a car or having a good education system is directly related to the capability of a nation to build a nuke... he simly says... KSA don't have neither the know how nor the scientists and infra to do the enrichment and then nukes or a heavy water system and then plutonium and then boom.... Is it really that hard to understand?

LMAO @ some of these web journalists these days, no research into anything they write. KSA has already build nukes it's with pakistan, some of you don't know but KSA has funded more than 90% of the pakistani nukes program in return pakistan signed an agreement that a portion of the nukes is "reserved" and "owned" by KSA and could be shipped to them if they needed it. I still don't know if people would catch up to what happened here but to explain it in plain english the saudi's already invested and built nukes by proxy many moons ago without breaking the proliferation treaty.

Now KSA roughly has 40-50 nukes stored in pakistan, this is why KSA has invested heavily in long range ballistic missiles which can carry Nukes and it's much more expensive than the non nukes carrying one. They did it the Arab way why build it if you can pay cash and get someone to build it and store it for you.

LMAO @ some of these web journalists these days, no research into anything they write. KSA has already build nukes it's with pakistan, some of you don't know but KSA has funded more than 90% of the pakistani nukes program in return pakistan signed an agreement that a portion of the nukes is "reserved" and "owned" by KSA and could be shipped to them if they needed it. I still don't know if people would catch up to what happened here but to explain it in plain english the saudi's already invested and built nukes by proxy many moons ago without breaking the proliferation treaty.

Now KSA roughly has 40-50 nukes stored in pakistan, this is why KSA has invested heavily in long range ballistic missiles which can carry Nukes and it's much more expensive than the non nukes carrying one. They did it the Arab way why build it if you can pay cash and get someone to build it and store it for you.
What is your source ?

What is your source ?

Saudi Arabia and Pakistan's nuclear weapons pact - Business Insider

It is widely understood this was the deal even when pakistan started building it as it cost alot of money. This is why Israel was pissed off because they didn't care as much as pakistani have nukes which was neutralized by India, it was the fact they knew of that treaty/understanding and tried to sabotage it on few occasions mainly politically by pressuring the Pakistani's then but it was just a good cover for the saudi's and their secret deal as pakistan replied to the pressure by claiming it's a national security to the threat of Indian already established Nuclear program.

You should read more of Tom Clancy's novels instead of Business Insider, as that makes more sense........ Indian!

Saudi Arabia and Pakistan's nuclear weapons pact - Business Insider

It is widely understood this was the deal even when pakistan started building it as it cost alot of money. This is why Israel was pissed off because they didn't care as much as pakistani have nukes which was neutralized by India, it was the fact they knew of that treaty/understanding and tried to sabotage it on few occasions mainly politically by pressuring the Pakistani's then but it was just a good cover for the saudi's and their secret deal as pakistan replied to the pressure by claiming it's a national security to the threat of Indian already established Nuclear program.

Back
Top Bottom