What's new

Was Asked To Shine Shoes, Indian Army Soldier Complains In Video. Indian Army Chief Reacts.

Khanate

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Was Asked To Shine Shoes, Indian Army Soldier Complains In Video. Indian Army Chief Reacts.
Vishnu Som, Deepshikha Ghosh | January 13, 2017

After a soldier alleged in a YouTube video that he was forced to "wash clothes, polish boots and walk dogs" for his seniors and is being harassed for flagging it, Army Chief General Bipin Rawat today said: "I request troops to use a grievance box and not social media." The "suggestion-cum-grievance" box will be put up at the army headquarters and every camp, said General Rawat, addressing his first press conference after taking charge as Army Chief.

"I assure that every complaint will reach me directly and we will attend to it on priority...If troops are still not happy, they can go ahead and use any other means," he urged, stressing that the army as an "excellent grievance redressal system".

Yesterday, a video of an army jawan complaining about torture and harassment surfaced on social media.

"I said that it should not be felt that a solder is a helper who will walk memsaab's dogs, wash clothes and do boot-polish," says Lance Naik Yagya Pratap Singh in the video posted on YouTube.

He says after his letter to Prime Minister Narendra Modi and others last year, his unit received a letter asking for an investigation.

"When they found out, there was daily harassment...the brigadier put pressure on me and tortured me to such a level that any soldier would have committed suicide but I didn't," says the jawan, adding, "I appeal to the PM, why are they preparing for my court martial? What is my crime?"

Lance Naik Singh's video comes after similar complaints on camera by a Border Security Force (BSF) jawan and a constable of the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) went viral on social media.

First, BSF soldier Tej Bahadur Yadav posted Facebook videos alleging poor quality food and near starvation on the front-lines. Days later a constable of the paramilitary CRPF posted a message to the PM on YouTube, alleging discrimination compared to the army and abysmal pay. However, the Home Ministry maintains that claims have not been substantiated.

Source: NDTV

———

Previously,

Last edited:
Again, a shameful perpetuation of the colonial mentality. I have seen soldiers working as cooks, gardners and servants at the homes of serving senior officers - Col and above. This is official - those chaps get alloted a fixed number of soldiers as household staff.

But to all the pakistanis gloating over this news - maybe a good idea to go to the homes of the big boys in Rawalpindi and see whether the situation is any different.

Again, a shameful perpetuation of the colonial mentality. I have seen soldiers working as cooks, gardners and servants at the homes of serving senior officers - Col and above. This is official - those chaps get alloted a fixed number of soldiers as household staff.

But to all the pakistanis gloating over this news - maybe a good idea to go to the homes of the big boys in Rawalpindi and see whether the situation is any different.
Funny is they know what they signed for still complaining if singed for khalasi or cook that are think you will serve as Officer

NEW DELHI: A new video of an army soldier exposing the Indian Army, has emerged on social media, in which the man has alleged that his superiors are harassing him for writing a letter to Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi to highlight grievances in the armed forces.

A new video emerged on social media, which served as embarrassment for the Indian Army yet again. Posted in the 42 Infantry Brigade in Dehradun, Lance Naik Yagya Pratap Singh recorded a video clip in which he says that after he wrote a letter to the Indian Prime Minister and other officials apprising them of some malpractices of senior army officials, his brigade was called by the PMO who ordered an enquiry into the matter.

"I had written an application to the PM in which I said that soldiers, who act as sahayaks, should not be made to polish shoes of officers," he said.

However, the brigade initiated an enquiry of their own into the matter which could result in a potential court martial for the jawan. Pratap Singh alleged that he had been tortured after the Prime Minister's Office had written back to the Brigade over the matter, "the Brigadier... put pressure on me and tortured me to such a level that I could have taken an extreme step. But I will not commit suicide or act in any way or against anyone that will tarnish the name of my service."

Singh claimed that he was helpless since he had been called for court martial and denied that any sensitive information had been leaked in the letter. The Indian Army on the other hand, has claimed that it has taken note of the incident and that an investigation was underway to determine the truth of the matter.

A couple of days ago, Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) constable Jeet Singh had posted a video in which he had enquired as to why paramilitary troops weren't granted the same facilities that their army counterparts were granted despite doing the same duty.

The trend of posting videos by armed forces personnel online to expose the Indian military had been initiated by BSF trooper Tej Bahadur Yadav, whose video depicting the deplorable condition of food provided to the BSF jawans went viral last week.

https://www.thenews.com.pk/latest/179150-Another-Indian-soldier-exposes-army-video-goes-viral

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny is they know what they signed for still complaining if singed for khalasi or cook that are think you will serve as Officer

Given the level of education and awareness as well as maturity - most jawans enlist at 18-20 years of age, I doubt they know that they might be assigned as housekeeping staff for an officer.

I did some little sleuthing once - quite perversely the feedback i got was that most soldiers assigned to housekeeping are quite happy because it gives them a break from PT, physical duties. So they're happy to wash dishes, take dogs out for a walk, go shopping with the 'missus' and so on.

Pakistani officers also have Batmans but they only serve to the officer not his family as a driver and guards only.

Pakistan
The term "batman" in the Pakistan Army dates from the period of the British Indian Army. In the modern Pakistan Army, civilian personal are employed in this role and are designated as NCB (Non-Combatant Bearer). The term implies that the present-day batman is not a soldier or part of the fighting cadre of the army, and works only as a personal servant to each officer.

Thanks for your comment. Good for Pakistan army if what you write is accurate.

I can only conjecture and speculate from thousands of miles away. Still, you should try and visit the house of a Col or Brig and see if this NCB move is implemented in practice. Maybe some retired officer who's here on PDF can give a view.

So the "SLAVES" on board of INS Delhi is true after all.
slave was not in INS delhi, but came to INS Shivalik during its visit to a country. but we refuse to some of that slaves requests...
http://www.hindustantimes.com/india...f-s-request/story-YN8bHstdtoEoglCXkZgMLL.html

Vishnu Som, Deepshikha Ghosh | January 13, 2017

After a soldier alleged in a YouTube video that he was forced to "wash clothes, polish boots and walk dogs" for his seniors and is being harassed for flagging it, Army Chief General Bipin Rawat today said: "I request troops to use a grievance box and not social media." The "suggestion-cum-grievance" box will be put up at the army headquarters and every camp, said General Rawat, addressing his first press conference after taking charge as Army Chief.

"I assure that every complaint will reach me directly and we will attend to it on priority...If troops are still not happy, they can go ahead and use any other means," he urged, stressing that the army as an "excellent grievance redressal system".

Yesterday, a video of an army jawan complaining about torture and harassment surfaced on social media.

"I said that it should not be felt that a solder is a helper who will walk memsaab's dogs, wash clothes and do boot-polish," says Lance Naik Yagya Pratap Singh in the video posted on YouTube.

He says after his letter to Prime Minister Narendra Modi and others last year, his unit received a letter asking for an investigation.

"When they found out, there was daily harassment...the brigadier put pressure on me and tortured me to such a level that any soldier would have committed suicide but I didn't," says the jawan, adding, "I appeal to the PM, why are they preparing for my court martial? What is my crime?"

Lance Naik Singh's video comes after similar complaints on camera by a Border Security Force (BSF) jawan and a constable of the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) went viral on social media.

First, BSF soldier Tej Bahadur Yadav posted Facebook videos alleging poor quality food and near starvation on the front-lines. Days later a constable of the paramilitary CRPF posted a message to the PM on YouTube, alleging discrimination compared to the army and abysmal pay. However, the Home Ministry maintains that claims have not been substantiated.

Source: NDTV

———

Previously,
indian army seriously need to get rid of this sahayak system

India need to tell the recruits that their main responsibility will be as servants of senior officers.

Back
Top Bottom