What's new

War on terror Cost Pakistan $68 Billion

Don't you people think 50.37 trillion is an exaggerated amount?

Yes i myself was thinking about it and just done the math .here it is
if pakistan have lost 50,37 trillion then in last 10 year they have to lost 5037 billion rupee per annum !!! thats means if 1 rupee = 68 then in every year they have lost 74 billion dollar !!! so the end result the title is wrong . i think the actual figure is in fact 68 billion dollar which comes 46000 crore rupee or 6.8 billion dollar per year .
Just wonder if Pakistan become the victim of this Taliban violence and didn't have to join so called war on terror then the size of Pakistan today would stood 273 billion in 2011 .
:pakistan: :hitwall: :hitwall:

Note : i put bangladeshi Taka with dollar as rupee and taka has almost same value

Yes i myself was thinking about it and just done the math .here it is
if pakistan have lost 50,37 trillion then in last 10 year they have to lost 5037 billion rupee per annum !!! thats means if 1 rupee = 68 then in every year they have lost 74 billion dollar !!! so the end result the title is wrong . i think the actual figure is in fact 68 billion dollar which comes 46000 crore rupee or 6.8 billion dollar per year .
Just wonder if Pakistan become the victim of this Taliban violence and didn't have to join so called war on terror then the size of Pakistan today would stood 273 billion in 2011 .
:pakistan: :hitwall: :hitwall:

well that source is 100% reliable where i get info for threads, there might be some other ways to calculate all the losses

---------- Post added at 01:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 PM ----------

Not U.S Alone :no:

Pakistan did not create taliban, i can tell u that,

well that source is 100% reliable where i get info for threads, there might be some other ways to calculate all the losses

---------- Post added at 01:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 PM ----------

Pakistan did not create taliban, i can tell u that,

i don't know which source you take reliable but the figure 50 trillion is very big amount to lost by any country of our size . may be the writer takes all the psychological cost in that amount

i don't know which source you take reliable but the figure 50 trillion is very big amount to lost by any country of our size . may be the writer takes all the psychological cost in that amount

its from a television channel, its 100% reliable

---------- Post added at 01:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 PM ----------

They are Weak In History

haha funny

During the war on terror 32,000 citizens and 3,500 security men lost their lives.

During the current financial year a loss of $3 billion exports was incurred owing to war on terror. Pakistan was also deprived of the foreign investment of $2 billion because of the same reason. Infrastructure destroyed during the war has been estimated at $1.70 billion. The ratio of investment which was 22.5 percent of GDP was reduced to 13.4 percent.

No one forced Pakistan to join this $hit storm. Mushy saw it as a nice way to get blank cheques from Bush at the time and buy his pals in the military some new toys at the expense of the nation. Similarly both civillian and military leaders have continued this policy.

Surely anger, frustration and accountability for weak decision making should be laid on their shoulders?

its from a television channel, its 100% reliable

No offense mate, but from the link Xeric provided, and which is what the television channel must have used( government of Pakistan source).

The WOT estimated cost =5036 Billion Rupees. 1 Trillion=1000 Billion. Therefor 5035 Billion=5.036 Trillion.

2v2ihyu.jpg

http://finance.gov.pk/survey/chapter_11/Special%20Section_1.pdf

hmmmm why u care? its democracy, i have freedom to express my opinion
Brother, expressing your opinion is your right. However, every person should focus on facts.

The story of Taliban begins from Mullah Muhammad Omar who was a mujahideen commander during Soviet-Afghan war and hailed from Kandahar.

After the Soviet-Afghan war concluded; anarchy and lawlessness prevailed in most parts of the country. Afghanistan descended in to a period of civil war. The nation was split among various factions of mujahideen (led by warlords) who were fighting and killing each other for dominance and control of Kabul. Some of these warlords particularly robbed, raped, and abused the villagers. Pakistan provided clandestine support to a faction led by Gulbuddin Hikmetyar. Even this faction was unable to gain control of Kabul.

Omar decided to put an end to chaos and lawlessness. He gained popularity among the locals who were tired of choatic conditions and the thus began the Taliban movement in Kandahar.

Pakistan used to smuggle goods (through Afghanistan) in to Iran, Turkmenistan, and several other central asian states. The civil war in Afghanistan had disrupted this smuggling business. In October 1994, ISI sent a trial convoy loaded with medicine from Quetta to Ashkabad, in Turkmenistan.

This convoy was held up by an Afghan warlord based in south of Kandahar. At this moment the Taliban (led by Omar), conveniently emerged to free it. The Taliban chased the warlord into the desert, shot him dead, and hung his carcass from the barrel of a tank for all to see.

The Taliban were armed with rifles, mortars, ammunition, and vehicles they had ostensibly acquired by raiding an ammunition dump two weeks earlier on the Pakistani border. The Taliban also captured Kandahar in the same day.

The ISI had finally found a convenient ally in Afghanistan. The smuggling business restarted after a long time. Kandahar was taken by bribing the local warlords to surrender.

By December 1994, Taliban managed to recruit 12,000 students from the religious schools of the radical Islamic Juma’at al Islamiya (JUI) of Pakistan, mostly from Afghan refugee families. And within three months the Taliban had efficiently conquered 12 of 31 provinces of Afghanistan, largely through a series of Coasian bargains with local warlords.

The Taliban collected arms, imposed law and order, and opened roads. The resulting increase in commerce immediately lowered the price of food. The Taliban proceeded to conquer and control some 90% of Afghanistan with help from ISI, a feat unmatched by the Soviet Union.

Smuggling prospered so much that it caused a $400m drop in Pakistani customs revenue between 1993 and 1997. The Taliban protected most of the $1B Afghan-Pakistani drug trade. Their control was so complete that they could eventually ban the cultivation of opium in 2000. Taliban banned cultivation but allowed trade in opium and heroin to continue.

For details, see a well-researched documentary titled Inside the Taliban (from National Geographic).

Regarding US role, here are some details:

US Gave Silent Backing To Taliban Rise To Power

mate we both are just sitting on computer n talking without any problem, but those soldiers have to fight, and we cant fight so many groups at the same time, n we didnt invite taliban, thanks to a superpower whose starts sh!t n runs away

Dont complain that america did thAt..........was Pakistan sleeping when multiple groups were raising their heads???
Now Pakistan dont have any option .......... They have to fight and win......... Running or lossing is not a option.

Yeah bro..it's really too much .....

Pakistan combined economy is 174,866 million US dollars (174 BN ) , and here guys are saying 68 billion dollars in loss ....lol

IT'S WAY TOO MUCH exaggerated..........................

Pakistan's GDP is approx $180 Billion, annually - the $68 billion losses in the WoT are total losses estimated over the ten years of WoT.

Perhaps you should improve your reading comprehension instead of trolling.

Thread is down to 5 pages from 10 after all the off topic and trolling posts were deleted.

Please stick to the topic, and advance arguments supporting your position based on facts, not accusations of 'Pakistanis exaggerate'.

Associated Press Of Pakistan ( Pakistan's Premier NEWS Agency ) - Pakistan suffers US $ 67.93 bln losses due to operation against terrorists

Pakistan suffers US $ 67.93 bln losses due to operation against terrorists

ISLAMABAD, June 19 (APP): Pakistan’s economy has suffered direct and indirect losses upto US $ 67.93 billion due its role as a frontline state in operations against terrorists, miscreants and militants since 2001 besides causing damage to its social fabric. According to Pakistan Economic Survey 2010-11, the events that transpired after 9/11 in Afghanistan worsened the security environment in the country. The war on terror has spread especially since 2006, like a contagion into settled areas of the country that has so far taken lives of over 35,000 citizens and 3,500 security personnel. It said that the war affected the country’s exports, prevented the inflows of foreign investment, affected the pace of privatization programme and slowed down the overall economic activity.

The survey said that it reduced import demand and tax collection, expenditure over-run on additional security spending, damaging domestic tourism industry; destruction of physical infrastructure (military and civil) and massive surge in security related spending.
“Pakistan has never witnessed such devastating social and economic upheaval in its industry, even after dismemberment of the country by direct war”, the Survey said.

It added that hundreds and thousands of jobs could have been created had economic activity not slowed as well as thousands of jobs were lost because of the destruction of domestic/foreign tourism rise in expenditure to support internally displaced persons.
“Pakistan’s investment-to-GDP ratio has declined from 22.5 per cent in 2006-07 to 13.4 per cent in 2010-11 with serious consequences for job creating ability of the economy”, it added.

The Survey observed that while the economic situation was worsening, the new elected government took power in 2008 and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs constituted an inter-ministerial committee to assess the direct and indirect cost of the war on terror on Pakistan.
The ministries of Finance, Interior and Commerce and some other relevant government departments plus the representatives of two provinces bordering turbulent Afghanistan participated in these deliberations.
After few sessions and valuable inputs from all sides, the committee estimated the cost of war on terror and its impact on Pakistan’s economy and society, it added.

According to the survey the committee, at the start of the war, the cost of it to the country was estimated at $ 2.669 billion in fiscal year 2001-02.
But the country continued to pay a heavy price in terms of both economic and security terms, it said. “The economy was subjected to enormous direct and indirect costs which continued to rise from $ 2.669 billion in 2001-02 to $ 13.6 billion by 2009-10, projected to rise to $ 17.8 billion in the current financial year (2010-11) and moving forward, the direct and indirect costs to the economy is most likely to rise further, the Survey observed.

I feel 68bil is to low.

Doesnt take into account of human life, human intellect that was killed, multiplier effect of having a stable community, more economic spending then military, doesnt take account of future cost that Pakistan will continue to fight terrorist for next 5-6 years.

Real cost should be 150bill imo.

I think an annualized approx figure of $6 billion (3% of GDP) seems fair. However, I dont understand the repeated cribs about it by the GoP. I can accept complaints by the citizens on this, but the govt has no standing to crib. You dont see USA cribbing about 100 times larger impact to their economy. Pakistan takes pride in proclaiming its role in creation and mentoring of Mujahids to fight soviet in Afghanistan. Well, everything has a cost, and the collector is at the doors of USA and Pakistan. I guess, chin up and pay.. and then move on..

You've got to love the Chutpah, Islamist terrorists that Pakistan army nurtured, cost Pakistan X billion of dollars in opportunity costs and the Pakistan govt is unhappy that the rest of the world on whom these islamist terrorists were unleashed hasn't paid up - incredible -- while less than 1 percent of those Pakistanis who can, do pay taxes?

Back
Top Bottom