What's new

Wapda ex-chief Muzammil Hussain skips NAB hearing in $753m (Rs. 151 billion) scam

After PMLN’s rob of $9bn out of $19bn during the 1st phase of CPEC as per Bajwa and now this.

Keep ‘em coming.

This was approved and pushed by showbaz and PMLN

Everyone knows what happened
Showbaz showed up stating lets makes things faster
Then we paid the contractor a bonus and nothing got done faster

Just like what things faster now on bhahsha dam..

Ask him to reply same in NAB.

If Zardari Nawaz Shabazz Bilawal Hamza Maryam Diesels COAS can skip NAB... Why can't everyone else???....

It's a kangaroo system in Pakistan.... There is no law and order. It's just the law of the jungle....

If they would have skipped NAB inquiry next day police, FIA and NAB would be standing outside thei house to arrest them, NAB has done this to every leader of PMLN.

Poor chap is being attacked here by PTI supporters too, lol. Unless I am mistaken was he not an IK loyalist, and the mutual friend of another man in Peshawar?

He was the one who allegedly neutralised P. Elahi in favour of IK.

Naam muzammil hussain….aur inke kaam dekho…….

Muslims by name only…..destination hell
Duration of stay: indefinite stay

Ask him to reply same in NAB.

If they would have skipped NAB inquiry next day police, FIA and NAB would be standing outside thei house to arrest them, NAB has done this to every leader of PMLN.
Why doesnt shahbaz shahab try it

:enjoy::enjoy::rofl::rofl::rofl:

If whole project would become unusable, how much loss we would be bearing??

But the project is working, and also is broadly on time.

Poor chap is being attacked here by PTI supporters too, lol. Unless I am mistaken was he not an IK loyalist, and the mutual friend of another man in Peshawar?

Nah...Big B ka banda tha yeh. I don't know if he put him in the position or not, but he was close to him.

But the project is working, and also is broadly on time.

His decision to start project before filling of dam made the project dysfunctional, it was not working for months, country was deprived of 1440 MW electricity for months, add this financial loss too.

According to the letter signed by Justice Nasira Iqbal (retired), Vice Chair TI-P notes that PC-1 of Tarbela 4th extension Hydropower Project was approved by the Executive Committee of National Economic Council (ECNEC) at a total cost of Rs 83.6 billion on August 16, 2012 with completion date of August 16, 2018, enhancing generation of 1410 MW project through installation of three turbines of 470 MW capacity each. The first revision of PC-1 was approved by ECNEC at a total cost of Rs 122.97 billion on November 27, 2019 with completion date of December 2022. The "prematurely" inaugurated Tarbela 4th extension hydropower project on March 10, 2018 resulted in "massive damage and financial loss".

A high-level Investigation Committee (IC) was constituted under Prime Minister's directives to inquire into the matter of "premature" inauguration on September 5, 2018, which completed its findings on February 22, 2019.

Key findings and conclusion and recommendations to the Prime Minister of IC report are as follow; (i) a decision on "premature" inauguration was taken at the level of Chairman Wapda "without consultation" of Member (Power), Advisor on project, Chief Engineer (O&M) and Project Officer; (ii) the decision of Chairman Wapda resulted in a "loss of $ 753.7 million"; and (iii) investigation report asked Ministry for Water Resources for a detailed performance audit by AGP within 60 days i.e. by May 22, 2019 and forensic audit by third party of international repute with no interest in Wapda to ascertain losses and enabling NAB and FIA to investigate the matter to fix responsibility and initiate "criminal" proceedings.

After issuance of investigation report of Tarbela 4th Extension, CDWP and ECNEC also referred the project to AGP for a detailed performance audit while approving first revision of PC-1 on November 27, 2019.

TI-P claims that it is clear from the facts that the Chairman Wapda took the "unfortunate" decision regarding "premature" inauguration of Tarbela 4th Extension to "ensure" his continuity in office by trying to exhibit over-performance.

It is also "evident" that after attaining age of 65 years on July 16, 2020, the Chairman had become ineligible to hold a public office.

The Auditor General of Pakistan has also declared the appointment of incumbent Chairman Wapda as "totally illegal", as in a test check audit of the accounts record of the Ministry of Water Resources, AGP observed that Chairman Wapda was appointed by the Establishment Division in "violation" of its own laws.

TI-P has noted that Ministry of Water Resources has been delaying the action on the decisions taken by CDWP and ECNEC since last 1-1/2 years.

Last edited:
His decision to start project before filling of dam made the project dysfunctional, it was not working for months, country was deprived of 1440 MW electricity for months, add this financial loss too.

According to the letter signed by Justice Nasira Iqbal (retired), Vice Chair TI-P notes that PC-1 of Tarbela 4th extension Hydropower Project was approved by the Executive Committee of National Economic Council (ECNEC) at a total cost of Rs 83.6 billion on August 16, 2012 with completion date of August 16, 2018, enhancing generation of 1410 MW project through installation of three turbines of 470 MW capacity each. The first revision of PC-1 was approved by ECNEC at a total cost of Rs 122.97 billion on November 27, 2019 with completion date of December 2022. The "prematurely" inaugurated Tarbela 4th extension hydropower project on March 10, 2018 resulted in "massive damage and financial loss".

A high-level Investigation Committee (IC) was constituted under Prime Minister's directives to inquire into the matter of "premature" inauguration on September 5, 2018, which completed its findings on February 22, 2019.

Key findings and conclusion and recommendations to the Prime Minister of IC report are as follow; (i) a decision on "premature" inauguration was taken at the level of Chairman Wapda "without consultation" of Member (Power), Advisor on project, Chief Engineer (O&M) and Project Officer; (ii) the decision of Chairman Wapda resulted in a "loss of $ 753.7 million"; and (iii) investigation report asked Ministry for Water Resources for a detailed performance audit by AGP within 60 days i.e. by May 22, 2019 and forensic audit by third party of international repute with no interest in Wapda to ascertain losses and enabling NAB and FIA to investigate the matter to fix responsibility and initiate "criminal" proceedings.

After issuance of investigation report of Tarbela 4th Extension, CDWP and ECNEC also referred the project to AGP for a detailed performance audit while approving first revision of PC-1 on November 27, 2019.

TI-P claims that it is clear from the facts that the Chairman Wapda took the "unfortunate" decision regarding "premature" inauguration of Tarbela 4th Extension to "ensure" his continuity in office by trying to exhibit over-performance.

It is also "evident" that after attaining age of 65 years on July 16, 2020, the Chairman had become ineligible to hold a public office.

The Auditor General of Pakistan has also declared the appointment of incumbent Chairman Wapda as "totally illegal", as in a test check audit of the accounts record of the Ministry of Water Resources, AGP observed that Chairman Wapda was appointed by the Establishment Division in "violation" of its own laws.

TI-P has noted that Ministry of Water Resources has been delaying the action on the decisions taken by CDWP and ECNEC since last 1-1/2 years.

So where is the corruption? Or undue benefit? Or rishtedaron ko nawazna?

I agree though, that if this was actually done, then an inquiry and post-inquiry action should be undertaken. But this surely does not fall under NAB. It is a departmental issue, and where perhaps the ministry can take action or other means can be pursued.

But how is this a NAB case?

This is my biggest gripe with NAB, it takes up cases which it has no business of taking, and often.

Alright, so after a little bit of research, here is what I have understood about this case:

1- March 2018 main btw hakoomat N ki hi thi...so OP, if you are trying to open a thread in haste and try and pin it on PTI, try again...you can do better.

2- The project was inaugurated in March, and water levels during that time of the year are usually low. This results in the silt to be higher in proportion in the water and that can damage the turbines. But, from what I can gather, the dam was made fully operational again in August, and the turbines were not replaced, neither was any other major civil work undertaken. Apart from the silt issue, there were a couple of other quality issues as well in the penstock.

So how the heck can a damage of $753 million be caused, jab turbine bhi replace nhn huay, na hi koi aur major kaam hua? Keep in mind as well, the actual cost of the project was around $600 million, it was revised downwards.

I just think NAB takes the total cost of a project and slaps it in a press release just for news headlines.

3- Again, there isn't an element of corruption or undue benefit or favor in this. It's a technical mistake, or an error of judgment, which is serious enough in itself and should be dealt with, but why is NAB undertaking this?

4- Seeing up close how NAB works in the past few years, and seeing how the NAB prosecutor practically begs you to do a plea bargain because they have nothing on you but still have to show a recovery due to the jail time, I honestly do not trust NAB one bit, neither in the cases against N, PPP, or anyone else. NAB needs a major overhaul, and apart from 1 or two clauses by N league in the new amendments, the rest are still a sham.

5- The good old general should go to the inquiry and make himself heard. But I do think there is more to this than meets the eye, especially once you realize why the WAPDA chairman resigned and when this inquiry was started;)

Let me guess.. pmln started inaugurating every premature thing prior to elections to get maximum benefit and in this particular matter they didnt listen to any expert advice and promised the general they would get this managed. And the general agreed to it instead of resigning as his immediate resign would have been a bigger loss to nation as noone competent enough existed to run things.

Back
Top Bottom