What's new

Waar: Pakistan’s next blockbuster?

Dance

Reaction score
KARACHI:

2011 seems to be slated as the year of the rebirth of Pakistani cinema. With all the excitement about the imminent release of Shoaib Mansoor’s Bol, the industry is now abuzz with news of Bilal Lashari’s first feature-length venture Waar, which is currently in post production. The film has been produced by MindWorks Media and has been shot in collaboration with Inter Services Public Relations (ISPR).

The film has been receiving a lot of attention due to rumours of a release by Warner Bros. The Internet Movie Database (IMDb) slates the release date as June 1, 2011 and the estimated budget is reported to be a whopping $2,000,000 (Rs170, 000,000).

The director of the film, Bilal Lashari, is well known in the industry. A graduate of the Academy of Art University in San Francisco, USA, where he earned a BFA in Motion Pictures and Television in 2008, Lashari has already made a name for himself in directing music videos. He has worked with top artists and bands like Abrarul Haq, Atif Aslam, Meekal Hassan Band, Jal and EP.

In 2008, Lashari won ‘Best Music Video Director’ at the Lux Style Awards and ‘Best Pop Video’ at the MTV Pakistan Music Video Awards for “Sajni”. He has also directed the popular video “Chal Bulleya” for Meekal Hassan Band.

Lashari also worked as assistant director for Shoaib Mansoor during the filming of Khuda Kay Liye.

Waar (to strike) is an action/thriller and drama film. It has been written by Hassan Waqas Rana and stars Pakistan’s actors, Shaan Shahid and Shamoon Abbasi. It is also said to star Sadia Hyat Khan, a new comer in the industry.

While it is thrilling to hear news of a Pakistani feature backed by a major studio, the subject matter fails to excite. The storyline has been inspired by the war on terror in Pakistan and its effects on the world, but with a stylised interpretation of it. It is something that cinema goers worldwide have been exposed to over and over again. One hopes that Rana has penned a script that finds a new and refreshing angle to explore war and terrorism.

The soundtrack of the film has been done by Qayaas, a Pakistani band. According to Khurram Waqar, the lead guitarist of Qayaas, “Inquilaab”, “Khayaal” and “Pal” are all part of the soundtrack. The presence of Qayaas in the film makes the project sound even more interesting.

This English-language film has been shot at various locations in and outside of Pakistan, from Lahore, to the beautiful hills of Islamabad and the breathtaking Swat Valley, where a major military operation was launched two years ago. Some parts of the film have also been shot in Istanbul, Turkey.

The film will first be screened at some major international film festivals and will then be released worldwide.

Waar: Pakistan

not being a smart a$$ but next blockbuster? which one was first?

Khuda ke liye

And yeah you came off as being a smart a$$

my sincere apologies if you were offended. that was not my intention.
kindly enlighten this noob with some links to these movies, i'd like to take a look.

kindly enlighten this noob with some links to these movies, i'd like to take a look.

Dont worry about it.

Anyways I think you can find khuda ke liye on you tube or google, just type it in.

Just to see the standard of tele dramas of Pakistan i would recommend you see "Hum Sipahi hai". Its available on youtube. Its on Indo Pak 65 war but dont think it will have biased one hero killing all enemy and jumping on tanks and throwing grenades kind of thing. Its quite close to reality

I think Jinnah was another fantastic film; gave a good picture of the Quaid e Azam during those tumultuous times when Pakistan was to become a realized dream come true.

I look forward to the release of Waar. It will be good for publicity of Pakistan and Pakistan Army; it will also (if directed properly) give the naiive audience a somewhat good picture and glimpse of the fight we are fighting. Perhaps it can help alleviate any kind of ''image problem'' existing

people often under-estimate the power of film and media and how it can shape opinions and even events......though that is less so the case now. In mid 1990s a lot of people thought Muslims are terrorists because Hollywood helped enforce the stereotype.

at any rate, best of luck to the producers/directors and good news for Pakistani Nation.

I would support movie or TV or anything of artistic or commercial value coming out of Pakistan - I think it's wonderful that film/cinema as an industry will be revitalized in Pakistan - particularly now that the internet itself is a venue for production, and dissemination of a variety of different kinds of products.

but of course Pakistani standards will have to improve -- "a whopping $2,000,000" Hmmm

I think Jinnah was another fantastic film; gave a good picture of the Quaid e Azam during those tumultuous times when Pakistan was to become a realized dream come true.

That was an excellent movie, but unfortunately it didn't do well commercially

the actors wont be living in Beverly Hills driving top down in Mercedes convertibles or receiving tens of millions for their roles.....

---------- Post added at 11:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 PM ----------

That was an excellent movie, but unfortunately it didn't do well commercially

Akbar S. Ahmed is doing GREAT things for Pakistan and for Muslims in general. Even huge names like Oprah Winfrey (with whom he has close relations) have accredited him for doing so.

Waar is going to be a sick movie much better then Shoaib Mansoor's boring movie Bol, which will release in May.

i wish pakistani movies get more exposure to indian audience. if they are anything like your music artists, they can give bollywood a serious run for their money

Back
Top Bottom