What's new

Vijay Kumar is now Subedar major

RPK

Reaction score
Country
India
Vijay Kumar is now Subedar major, to get cash reward too: sources | Shooting | NDTVSports.com

London Olympic silver medallist shooter Vijay Kumar has been elevated to Subedar Major rank in the Indian Army and will get cash reward, according to sources.

Vijay Kumar had said on Monday that he wanted to leave Indian Army as he has not been given a single promotion in the last six years despite performing well at both national and international levels.

Vijay Kumar's father meanwhile has ambitions of seeing his son as an officer in the Indian Army.

He said, "Want my son to become an officer in the Army."

Chairman chiefs of staff committee and navy chief admiral Nirmal Verma had earlier termed the government policies as the main hurdle.

He said, "It is a service policy government rules are there in place and nothing can be done beyond that. If govt changes the policy then only something can be done."

The army meanwhile, providing reasons for the same, had previously said, "Army has no policy for immediate promotion after winning any medal. Vijay has already got an out of turn promotion after which he became subedar. In Army, jawans get post of subedar after serving near about 24-26 years service, Vijay Kumar has reached to the post of subedar in just 7-8 years and his age is 26 only."

Vijay, after his medal winning effort, said, "Indian Army helped me in shooting by giving me coaching facilities and providing me with pistol and ammunition but I need money for my daily needs."

The Indian Army previously also said that Vijay will get promotion to the post of Subedar major and receive Rs. 15 Lakh. Here in lies the problem though and the Army said, "The Army problem is that Subedar major retires after 4-5 years of service."

Unheralded Vijay, who is a subedar with 16 Dogra Regiment, provided the silver lining for India in London Games last week, clinching the second place in the 25m rapid fire pistol event.

Six-time national champion, Vijay had won two silver at ISSF's World Cup. And though he missed out on a medal in rapid fire event at Guangzhou Asiad, he won two bronze in air pistol and center fire pistol. He also won a gold medal at Doha Asian Games.

He has done wonderful thing for all of us. He deserves better treatment and rewards.

I didnt get it really. So does that mean just 4 to 5 years of service more or as someone suggested, he will be promoted to an officer's rank ?

so army plans to retire him soon , may be they are hurt by the words vijay said in public . :undecided:

a noob question,Subedar major is highest non-commissioned officer..right??after another promotion, what will be his rank??he will be an commissioned officer or what??

a noob question,Subedar major is highest non-commissioned officer..right??after another promotion, what will be his rank??he will be an commissioned officer or what??

Read coldheard's comment, after this he will become lieutenant... Which is the first commissioned rank...

but the officers from defence academies directly become Lieutenant... I'm confused now :undecided:

I'm sory you are right.

Second Lieutnant seems to have been done away with. Wonder when.

If the Army doesn't make him an officer straightaway, I'm pretty sure he's going to take that offer at Sports Authority of India.

Can't blame him.

if he will not promoted to lieutnant and choose for retirement then he might get Lieutnant rank as honer before 6 month of retirement
its a rule or a can also get rank of caption as a honer of service
Subedar Major/Honorary Captain
Subedar/Honorary Lieutenant
Indian Army - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just 1 step away from the rank of Lieutanant now.

He will be honorary Lieutenant rather then real one if he becomes one. :tdown:

Army have not promoted him for last 6 years despite of the fact that he have won 3 commonwealth games gold medals, Asian Games medals and silver medal in the world championship. :hitwall:

Army says they can't give him more promotions and rewards, Ministry of defense have regressing rules and Army can only reward him if the ministry makes such rules. :hitwall:

After winning bronze medal Vijender singh became DSP (Deputy superintendent of police) but even after silver medal Vijay Kumar Sharma is JCO :tdown:

What about the CWG, Asian Games and world Championship medals of last 6 years??????????

They are gone waste??????

No reward or money or promotion?????

I'm sory you are right.

Second Lieutnant seems to have been done away with. Wonder when.
From 2002 if I am correct
On topic: good news. Well deserved promotion. But I still think he should have avoided that public statement

Back
Top Bottom