Vietnam Wants New Japanese Warships

Zarvan

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Japanese_Frigates.jpg

Japanese Frigates JDS Tokachi & JDS Akebono

Vietnam has requested Japan to supply new ships to strengthen its coast guard.

“Vietnam asked Japan to provide vessels to strengthen its coast guard during talks between Fumio Kishida (Japanese foreign minister) and Vietnamese Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc and foreign minister Pham Binh Minh,” Japan's foreign ministry deputy spokesman Masato Otaka was quoted as saying by Thanh Nien news in Hanoi on Thursday.

He added that timing, methods of delivery, costs and quantity of vessels had not yet been decided.

The two countries signed a defense cooperation agreement in 2011. Last year, Japan provided Vietnam with six secondhand patrol ships as part of a 500 million yen (US$4 million) aid program. Kishida told Vietnamese leaders Japan will continue to assist Vietnam in the development of infrastructure and human resources via official development assistance (ODA) loans.

He promised to help Vietnam cope with drought and saltwater intrusion at PM Phuc’s request.

http://www.defenseworld.net/news/15987/Vietnam_Wants_New_Japanese_Warships#.Vy3NdFOfc8w

there is a great diferrences between Warship and patrol ship

there is a great diferrences between Warship and patrol ship
Obviously, coast guard tasks differ from navy tasks and, hence, require different types of ships.
Its sets a precedent, though.

Is there any information on which specific secondhand patrol ships were obtained from Japan?

Obviously, coast guard tasks differ from navy tasks and, hence, require different types of ships.
Its sets a precedent, though.

Is there any information on which specific secondhand patrol ships were obtained from Japan?

Teshio class, i recall somebody in their forum call it

Teshio class, i recall somebody in their forum call it
Thx. I thought perhaps the larger Shiretoko class, but Teshio is similar (if smaller)

Teshio class
maxresdefault.jpg

Shiretoko class
maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom