What's new

Vietnam to Teach Korean as First Foreign Language

Viet

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Viet Nam
Vietnamese students and faculty at Thang Long University in Hanoi check out Korean language study material provided by global K-pop sensation BTS, on Aug. 27, 2020, in this photo provided by Korean News in Hanoi.
Vietnamese students and faculty at Thang Long University in Hanoi check out Korean language study material provided by global K-pop sensation BTS, on Aug. 27, 2020, in this photo provided by Korean News in Hanoi.

HANOI/SEOUL, March 4 (Korea Bizwire)— Vietnam has designated Korean as one of its first foreign languages, allowing it to be taught from primary school onward beginning this August, South Korean officials said Thursday.

Education of the Korean language has expanded in the Southeast Asian country, driven by the popularity of Korean pop culture and deepening economic ties between the two nations.

The Vietnamese education and training ministry last month added Korean and German to the list of major foreign languages that can be offered as an elective course to third-year primary schoolers and those in higher grades, according to the Korean embassy in Hanoi.
The list currently includes English, Chinese, Japanese, French and Russian.

The Korean and German languages can be taught in elementary schools starting in August when a new semester begins, officials said.

In 2019, Vietnam selected Korean as a second foreign language, which can be learned in middle and high schools, after a pilot project since 2017. Around 1,500 students now learn the Korean language.
South Korea plans to support the program by developing textbooks and teaching manuals and sending instructors, according to the embassy.

Super random choice but this will expand Korean sphere and China might not like it either getting now competition from Korea in the influence sphere

Super random choice but this will expand Korean sphere and China might not like it either getting now competition from Korea in the influence sphere
You don't understand the level of China influence in vietnam especially the north side.. Don't listen to too much propanganda online.

You don't understand the level of China influence in vietnam especially the north side.. Don't listen to too much propanganda online.
i went to SE asia not long ago for holiday. i saw many people watching chinese drama dubbed in their language. i saw in vietnam too. i was like wtf? i thought they hate china? :D

i went to SE asia not long ago for holiday. i saw many people watching chinese drama dubbed in their language. i saw in vietnam too. i was like wtf? i thought they hate china? :D
It's similar to Pakistan & Bangladesh watching Indian media content by hook or by crook though they hate India.

Makes sense, at least from what I've read. There seems to be a huge Korean presence in Vietnam. Also, apparently basic Korean is super easy to learn, I'm actually thinking of learning it.

Elementary school ? Isnt that too young to learn second foreign language before you are mastering English ??

For Indonesian case beside English, particularly for Islamic school, it is Arabic to learn in junior high school, while German is taught in High school

While I see Arabic is good for religious study, I see no reason to learn German since German people also has good English as well. German is introduced for social class which is usually exist in second year for students which has more interest on social study like economics, and so on. While other classes has more focus on STEM study and dont learn German.

Elementary school ? Isnt that too young to learn second foreign language before you are mastering English ??

For Indonesian case beside English, particularly for Islamic school, it is Arabic to learn in junior high school, while German is taught in High school

While I see Arabic is good for religious study, I see no reason to learn German since German people also has good English as well. German is introduced for social class which is usually exist in second year for students which has more interest on social study like economics, and so on

Arabic for religious study? You kidding right? I graduated from an islamic boarding school and one thing I can tell you, modern Arabic has little to nothing to do with religious studies. Quran is old and poetic Arabic, the same goes for the tafsr and hadith. There is a reason why the books about tafsr and hadiths in modern times are the reproduced version because not even the Arabs directly understands the languages in the original books of Quran and others.

Meanwhile, The council of Ulama usually discuss and issue edicts in English which makes me wonder why people learn Arabic if the reason is non economical or business related.

Furthermore, Germans‘ english is equivalent to Arabs’ english. To some extent, Arabs even speak better english than Germans when they are abroad. Germans are traditionally self centered people. They just opened themselves to globalisation like 20 years ago.

Arabic for religious study? You kidding right? I graduated from an islamic boarding school and one thing I can tell you, modern Arabic has little to nothing to do with religious studies. Quran is old and poetic Arabic, the same goes for the tafsr and hadith. There is a reason why the books about tafsr and hadiths in modern times are the reproduced version because not even the Arabs directly understands the languages in the original books of Quran and others.

Meanwhile, The council of Ulama usually discuss and issue edicts in English which makes me wonder why people learn Arabic if the reason is non economical or business related.

Furthermore, Germans‘ english is equivalent to Arabs’ english. To some extent, Arabs even speak better english than Germans when they are abroad. Germans are traditionally self centered people. They just opened themselves to globalisation like 20 years ago.

Yup, of course Arabic is good for some one who want to understand Islam better, I dont know why you question my statement here. The Arabic taught in Islamic school of course usually is just an introduction, but it is a door to learn the language even more. Unless maybe in madrasah type of school where Arabic is taught deeper and usually they can speak Arabic once they are graduated from it.

Yup, of course Arabic is good for some one who want to understand Islam better, I dont know why you question my statement here. The Arabic taught in Islamic school of course usually is just an introduction, but it is a door to learn the language even more. Unless maybe in madrasah type of school where Arabic is taught deeper and usually they can speak Arabic once they are graduated from it.
One thing I learn from Arabic. The script is similar to the chinese script or ancient Egypt, they are derived from pictures that tell a story. Very interesting.

Korean is a minor and isolated language, or one can even argue it is a sinitic creole. Should learn Chinese.

After learning Chinese my Vietnamese improve tremendously

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom