What's new

Vietnam Defence Forum

Well EXTRA is a more like a multipurpose tool, VN is suppose to use it to neutralize ground asset but slow transport and landing ship would be prime targets as well. To tackle heavili armed warship, dedicate anti - ship missile should take over.

OK, up to you! Despite I have a little bit another point of view towards this issue. :rolleyes1:

Oh and EXTRA is not deployed in a very wide scale, Coastal Defense Units tend to deploy a combination of howitzer/gun (76mm and 85mm) and Soviet era missiles (P-5 and P-15). There are new addditions over the years as well with P-800 and possibly BAl KH-35.

To be more precise - as far as I know - there are following rocket weaponry: "Redut" (P-35B missiles), "Rubezh" (P-15M "Termit" missiles) and K-300P "Bastion-P" (P-800 "Yakhont" missiles; two rocket batteries, at least one of them is in the 681st Birgade).
By the way, do You have any links where I can read about Vietnamese modernization of P-35B which extended its range up to 550km? As well as about Coastal Defence at all (excluding Wikipedia).

Thank You very much in advance!

As apsupermann points out, Extra is a multipurpose missile that can attack targets that move as well as targets that don’t move. You know there is a great military power, if I recall it is Malaysia, that occupies lots of other people territories in the South China Sea, claiming the whole sea region as ancient lands. Peaceful rise bla bla.

Extra missiles can bring destruction to the weaponized islands, destroying the runways, before the Malays can launch aircraft to attack our territories.

Extra costs a bit more, but has longer range than MLRS, more precise, more destructive.

First export sale of Extra was to Azerbaijan soon after the Russian-Georgian war in August 2008. There are MLRS launchers with eight missiles on each (also can use 122mm and 160mm missiles).
Unfortunately, I'm still not allowed to put any photo/video here until I have 30 posts, just to show you these MLRS. At the same time, you can easily find them through Google. :rolleyes1:

As for the size and structure of missile brigade, I have no clue. You can place a bet that although lack of funds Vietnam coastal defense is multilayered equipped not only by Extra missile batteries.

In accordance with open sources, there are four brigades, including one (the 685th) rocket-artillery. This Brigade is also equipped by Extra.

It was only a few decades ago that Vietnam War ended, don't forget it so quickly. You still remember what happened the last time the US was in Vietnam or any other countries? What's happening right now in Ukraine, Syria, and Lybia? What happens if one day there is a new election and the winner candidate don't support the US? The US works for its own interest, not for you.

It was only a few decades ago that Vietnam War ended, don't forget it so quickly. You still remember what happened the last time the US was in Vietnam or any other countries? What's happening right now in Ukraine, Syria, and Lybia? What happens if one day there is a new election and the winner candidate don't support the US? The US works for its own interest, not for you.
Why bother, they have made up their mind.

I think it is not difficult to understand we want peace and prosperity. Everything else is secondary.

Talking of past wars days and nights won’t bring us to peace and prosperity. We can talk of our wars with the French, the Japanese, the Siamese, the Mongolians, or many others I can’t remember yet. Will talking bring us anything? A new war with the US can be ruled out. We are not a country that anti Americanism belongs to national identity.

What matters is today and not what happens in the past.

You can ask yourself which country today poses the greatest danger to our national territory.

It is the same country that we have fought most wars.

The war with America is in reality a just footnote although brutal and destructive in scale in our history.

There is no such thing as love or hate in internatioal relation. US work for their benefit by sending a aircraft carrier to Vietnam and we work for our benefit by accepting it. As long as both countries goal remain the same then there would be no drastic change. Talking about war, VN and China have a rather intersting history of "skirmish" against each other so yeah, no need to teach us how to act when big countries pay port calls to Vietnam. China and US used to work together to bring down the USSR, I guess something is reapeating itself here, hehe :)

Pretty cool. Transport vessels made by Z189 shipyard, powered by Rolls Royce engines, are used to ferry US and VN visitors between shore and US warships.

B03B2A41-700B-4C32-A851-115206C9DB22.jpeg
126A1B0A-D09F-42FE-8B32-D05B518ED824.jpeg
671E1176-8D4E-4792-AB6C-FAEAF6C412EC.jpeg
9541023A-8558-4F3F-89BC-9A77C858C655.jpeg
EE4D15D1-B96A-47D0-995D-8BAE3C9DFD26.jpeg
E789AC0C-B53D-406A-8F52-CF85BBBD8B31.jpeg
5B8607C0-2D2F-46F2-86B2-1647FF972BEF.jpeg
027B224F-BADF-475E-B0D3-26DCAB6A742E.jpeg
E3B01979-2937-42C6-9535-497DC91CB9E8.jpeg
372D09E5-880A-46A4-B745-0A23EFBD2461.jpeg

As like every year, a US hospital ship will visit Vietnam in March, providing medical assistance for the locals.

A6180C13-4F32-490C-9DEB-BFF9D0CE5CA3.jpeg
EADA7BB4-CE8A-4DF3-A5D8-00FD20FD1DAC.jpeg

To be more precise - as far as I know - there are following rocket weaponry: "Redut" (P-35B missiles), "Rubezh" (P-15M "Termit" missiles) and K-300P "Bastion-P" (P-800 "Yakhont" missiles; two rocket batteries, at least one of them is in the 681st Birgade).
By the way, do You have any links where I can read about Vietnamese modernization of P-35B which extended its range up to 550km? As well as about Coastal Defence at all (excluding Wikipedia).

Currently, all information about Redut-M modernization is more or less come from expert speculation. There are no concrete details about it just yet but I would notify you when something comes up. :)

First export sale of Extra was to Azerbaijan soon after the Russian-Georgian war in August 2008. There are MLRS launchers with eight missiles on each (also can use 122mm and 160mm missiles).
Unfortunately, I'm still not allowed to put any photo/video here until I have 30 posts, just to show you these MLRS. At the same time, you can easily find them through Google. :rolleyes1:

In accordance with open sources, there are four brigades, including one (the 685th) rocket-artillery. This Brigade is also equipped by Extra.
Pls ask more questions or similar things, and 30 posts are out.

Ah what do you think about VN/US reapproachment? Russia does too little to deter the Chinese.

The US say, the 4 nuclear powered Los Angeles class fast-attack submarines stationed in Guam could be the next guests that make port visit to Vietnam. Shark hunting games included.

https://www.stripes.com/news/submarine-could-be-next-navy-vessel-to-visit-vietnam-1.515172

5C2F2E4C-6FB9-42FB-9C4D-BCB4B5576CAA.jpeg

Delivery landing ships of Damen Roro 5612 class to Panama. Similar patches were previously delivered to Venezuela and Bahamas.

2CC0D713-CCFC-40B0-8884-0F6178EA1C38.jpeg
73402D58-F12D-4781-8CE5-E12F5A46733D.jpeg
1C7ACBD9-26C5-44CA-B0A3-FE680C4340AA.jpeg

Until now, only Kilo submarines can fire Kalibr cruise missiles, Roro landing ship can carry containers that can also launch Kalibr cruise missiles. Cheap and effective. A means to compensate the weakness of Vietnam surface warships.

5995F22F-B555-4C5F-94E9-C64793324C53.jpeg
F81BB202-153E-465E-A434-195A27E8C95A.jpeg

Could you please tell what is happening in Ukraine now from the Chinese point of view?

Ms. Kang Kyung-wha is currently on a visit to Vietnam, preparing for the Vietnam visit by SK President Moon Jae-in. Interesting: although she is Foreign Minister, she likes to dress like a military women. Anyway she gives $20 million to VN for mine clearing efforts in the provinces of Quang Binh und Binh Dinh.

http://world.kbs.co.kr/german/news/news_In_detail.htm?No=69727

South%20Korean%20minister_RTS18IUA_0.jpg

Pls ask more questions or similar things, and 30 posts are out.

Yes, for sure. This is just a question of time. :rolleyes1:

Ah what do you think about VN/US reapproachment? Russia does too little to deter the Chinese.

I think this is only the Vietnam-U.S. interstate business. Despite from our side - I mean the post-Soviet space - it seems a little bit strange because of awful events during the Vietnam War. At the same time, there is extremely good that you have found reconciliation quite soon after the war.

As for Russian-Chinese relations, they have business grounds. Simalteneously, Russia is definitely scared by China - huge human resource as well as fast growing military capabilities allow China to crash Russia in case of a conventional war. Therefore, Russia can stop the PLA only by its nuclear weapon. But I think this is not the topic of the thread. :-)

Beautiful missile cruiser USS Lake Champlain previously arrived for port visit.

558FCD44-A85B-4A18-95A6-E422C510AE39.jpeg

CF030287-D2E1-47C0-BB67-FCF7A730BD62.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom