What's new

Vietnam Defence Forum

Next week, a day to remember

April 30, 1975

after breakthrough the last lines of defense, with the city being encircled and cut off,
North Vietnamese tanks arrived Saigon middle.

With the collapse of the Republican army, the President of South Vietnam, General Dung van Minh, signed the unconditional surrender.

VietnameseSoldiers.qWCfNrbQ.jpeg

Minh announcing the surrender of South Vietnam.

North Vietnam‘s Air defence

s-60_azp_57.gif

Pháo cao xạ cỡ nòng 57mm trong chiến tranh Việt Nam

Weapon of VPA in Vietnam war.

Initially, the artillery forces were provided with some kind of defensive spoils (Ant-tank PAK 40 75 mm made in Germany in WW II, transfered by UdSSR) by the Soviet Union.
Nguồn ảnh: Otavaga.
loat-vu-khi-giup-quan-doi-viet-nam-lot-xac-trong-khang-chien-chong-my-Hinh-3.jpg

In 1960, the Soviet Union provided Vietnam with a series of powerful rocket launchers (BM-13, BM-14, BM-21 Grad, DKB) and even heavy guns with extremely long range.
Nguồn ảnh: Bảo tàng Pháo binh
loat-vu-khi-giup-quan-doi-viet-nam-lot-xac-trong-khang-chien-chong-my-Hinh-5.jpg

Until June 22, 1965, the new armored command was established.Photo: Tank troops - armored vehicles were born on the first day equipped with armored vehicles of France, USA.
Nguồn ảnh: Otavaga
loat-vu-khi-giup-quan-doi-viet-nam-lot-xac-trong-khang-chien-chong-my-Hinh-6.jpg

The first period (1959-1960) was mainly T-34-85 / Type 58 medium tank provided by Soviet / Chinese.From 1962, we began to supply modern T-54 tanks and PT-76 swimming tanks.

loat-vu-khi-giup-quan-doi-viet-nam-lot-xac-trong-khang-chien-chong-my-Hinh-7.jpg

In addition to tanks, the Soviet Union in the war against the US also provided Vietnam with a number of armored vehicles such as BTR-40, BTR-50P, BTR-60.
loat-vu-khi-giup-quan-doi-viet-nam-lot-xac-trong-khang-chien-chong-my-Hinh-9.jpg

On the Chinese side, it supplies Vietnam with T-59 tanks (the Chinese version of T-54), amphibious Type 63 amphibious tanks (Vietnam calls it K63-85) and armored vehicles.
loat-vu-khi-giup-quan-doi-viet-nam-lot-xac-trong-khang-chien-chong-my-Hinh-10.jpg

The Air Defense - Vietnam Air Force was officially established only on late. However, right from 1958, units of "future" PK-KQ army were soon born.
loat-vu-khi-giup-quan-doi-viet-nam-lot-xac-trong-khang-chien-chong-my-Hinh-11.JPG
ctober 22, 1963.

At the beginning of its establishment, the anti-aircraft troops were mainly equipped with German-made guns (captured by the Soviet Union after 1945 and provided aid to us).For example, the legendary German Flak 88, a cannon that can both shoot aircraft and defeat tanks.
loat-vu-khi-giup-quan-doi-viet-nam-lot-xac-trong-khang-chien-chong-my-Hinh-12.JPG

Subsequently, the Soviet Union provided additional 37mm 61-K, 57mm S-60, 85mm 52-K, and the largest, KS-19 100mm cannon (this type of artillery was recorded to shoot down a B-52 in12 days late night 1972). There are also 14.5mm ZPU-1/2 machine gun, ZSU-57-2, AM self-propelled machine guns.
loat-vu-khi-giup-quan-doi-viet-nam-lot-xac-trong-khang-chien-chong-my-Hinh-13.JPG

With the missile team, the first missile regiment bearing the 236 mark (Doan Song Da) was officially established on January 7, 1965 with the main equipment of extremely S-75 Dvina air defense missile complex.
loat-vu-khi-giup-quan-doi-viet-nam-lot-xac-trong-khang-chien-chong-my-Hinh-14.JPG

In the period 1965-1972, the Soviet Union mainly provided us with S-75 Dvina missiles with a number of modified versions to improve the resistance to interference, range ... China also provided us with a version ofS-75 is designated HQ-2 but we don't used. ( Its reported that it was problem with the quality was fallon down after start)
loat-vu-khi-giup-quan-doi-viet-nam-lot-xac-trong-khang-chien-chong-my-Hinh-15.JPG

It was not until 1972 that the Soviet Union agreed to provide us with a more modern air defense missile complex - the S-125 Pechora.
loat-vu-khi-giup-quan-doi-viet-nam-lot-xac-trong-khang-chien-chong-my-Hinh-16.JPG

Regarding air equipment, the Soviet Union provided the Vietnam People's Air Force with three types of interceptors: MiG-15UTI (for training only), MiG-17 and especially MiG-21 F13, PFM, MF, UM).(PF version And China gives us J-6 - the Soviet MiG-19 version.
loat-vu-khi-giup-quan-doi-viet-nam-lot-xac-trong-khang-chien-chong-my-Hinh-17.jpg

The MiG-21s helped the Vietnam People's Air Force significantly dominate the skies in front of thousands of state-of-the-art US aircraft.Hundreds of US fighter planes (including the "flying fortress" B-52) were shot down by MiG-21.
loat-vu-khi-giup-quan-doi-viet-nam-lot-xac-trong-khang-chien-chong-my-Hinh-18.jpg

Regarding air transport / helicopters, the Soviet Union provided us with heavy transport helicopters Mi-6, medium helicopters Mi-4/8, transport aircraft An-2 / Li-2 /Il-18 / Il-14 / An-24. Photo source: Logistics Museum.
loat-vu-khi-giup-quan-doi-viet-nam-lot-xac-trong-khang-chien-chong-my-Hinh-19.JPG

The Navy or Vietnamese People's Navy was established on May 7, 1955 with the original name of "Coast Guard Department".The construction of the Song Lo and Bach Dang fleets Since the 1960s, the People's Navy of Vietnam has been "modernized" by Soviet-Chinese warships.
loat-vu-khi-giup-quan-doi-viet-nam-lot-xac-trong-khang-chien-chong-my-Hinh-20.jpg

The majority of the warships we received during the anti-American resistance were artillery ships, subchasers, torpedo boats tens to hundreds of tons.
loat-vu-khi-giup-quan-doi-viet-nam-lot-xac-trong-khang-chien-chong-my-Hinh-21.jpg

It was not until 1972 that Vietnam had its first missile ship - the Soviet-made Project 183 Komar fast attack ships. This ship is equipped with two P-15 Termit cruise missiles.
loat-vu-khi-giup-quan-doi-viet-nam-lot-xac-trong-khang-chien-chong-my-Hinh-22.jpg

Next week, a day to remember

April 30, 1975

after breakthrough the last lines of defense, with the city being encircled and cut off,
North Vietnamese tanks arrived Saigon middle.

With the collapse of the Republican army, the President of South Vietnam, General Dung van Minh, signed the unconditional surrender.

VietnameseSoldiers.qWCfNrbQ.jpeg

Minh announcing the surrender of South Vietnam.
All dream for peace and normal, happy life after the war

South VN soldier spoke English so well in the footage."everyone is happy, no one have to fight anymore.."

Vietnam may soon sue China on South China Sea
Hanoi is weighing an international arbitration case against Beijing to settle their hotly contested sea claims
By DAVID HUTT MAY 7, 2020

Vietnam-South-China-Sea-Soldier-Flag.jpg

A Vietnamese soldier stands watch overlooking the South China Sea. Photo: Facebook
Vietnam is believed to be inching towards filing an international arbitration case against China’s expansive claims in the South China Sea, a potential legal response to rising Chinese intimidation and harassment in the contested waterway.

Analysts monitoring the situation believe Hanoi could file such a petition, possibly similar to the one the Philippines filed and won against China at The Hague’s Permanent Court of Arbitration in July 2016.

That decision ruled that China has “no historical rights” under its “nine-dash line” which Beijing uses to claim sovereignty to nearly 90% of the sea. China refused to participate in the proceedings and said it would “ignore” the decision, which lacked an enforcement mechanism.

“There have been significantly more voices within the ruling elite in Hanoi calling for bringing China to court” since last year, said Alexander Vuving, professor at the Daniel K Inouye Asia-Pacific Center for Security Studies in Honolulu, Hawaii.

Derek Grossman, a senior defense analyst at the RAND Corporation, a Washington-based think tank, said he had no confirmation that Hanoi is moving forward with an international case, but “I have heard from government sources that the proposal is under serious consideration.”

A Vietnamese diplomatic source who spoke to Asia Times on the condition of anonymity said discussions in Hanoi about an international lawsuit are now more intense than previously.

At an annual South China Sea conference hosted last November by the Diplomatic Academy of Vietnam, Vietnam’s deputy foreign minister Le Hoai Trung publicly raised the issue of an international case, the first time in nearly five years that a senior official had broached it.

“The UN Charter and UNCLOS 1982 have sufficient mechanisms for us to apply those measures,” Trung said at the time, referring to the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS), an international treaty.

South-China-Sea-Map-Benham-Rise-Map-2017.jpg

Vietnam has rising motivation to take China to court. The Chinese Haiyang Dizhi 8 geological survey ship spent much of 2019 harassing a Vietnamese joint venture with a Russian firm that was exploring for energy in Vietnam’s exclusive economic zone (EEZ) in the South China Sea.

That intimidation has continued this year, in spite of the coronavirus crisis. On April 3, a Vietnamese fishing vessel was sunk by a Chinese coast guard ship near in disputed waters near the sea’s Paracel Islands.

Then, on April 13, the Chinese Haiyang Dizhi 8 geological survey ship was redeployed to monitor Vietnam’s EEZ.

Days later, the Chinese government announced the creation of new administrative areas in the Paracel and Spratly Islands, parts of which Vietnam also claims.

Vietnam isn’t the only rival claimant in the South China Sea to have faced recent Chinese intimidation. Last month, Chinese vessels patrolled areas of the South China Sea that lie in Malaysia’s EEZ, including an area where it is conducting energy exploration.

While taking the matter to an international court may give Hanoi a certain symbolic victory, Beijing is unlikely to abide by any potential ruling in Vietnam’s favor. And the move could escalate tensions closer to conflict, analysts say.

But there is a sense that Vietnam is running out of options. Bill Hayton, a South China Sea expert at the Chatham House think tank, told Reuters last November that an international lawsuit is maybe “the only thing left for Vietnam.”

Speaking to Asia Times, Honolulu-based analyst Vuving opined that “Hanoi may think it has no other option [but] to sue China at an international court.”

Whenever Beijing opposes Hanoi’s actions in the South China Sea, the Vietnamese government has basically two options: either publicly criticize China or attempt to solve tensions through communist party-to-party meetings with Beijing.

Vietnam-China-Nguyen-Phu-Trong-Xi-Jinping-November-2017.jpg

Chinese President Xi Jinping (C) and Vietnam’s Communist Party Secretary General Nguyen Phu Trong (R) wave during a welcoming ceremony at the presidential palace in Hanoi, November 12, 2017. Photo: AFP/Hoang Dinh Nam

When Beijing announced the new administrative centers last month, Vietnam’s Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Le Thi Thu Hang issued a statement deploring the move. “Vietnam demands that China respect Vietnam’s sovereignty and abolish its wrongful decisions,” it said.

Last August, Vietnam analyst Le Hong Hiep wrote in regional media that “diplomacy seems…to be the first and also the last line of defence [for Vietnam] against China’s assertiveness in the South China Sea.”

However, Hanoi might sense the time is ripe for a new legalistic approach, one that could sway international opinion in its favor.

Indeed, if there was ever a time when the Vietnamese people were most inclined to rally around the ruling Communist Party and when Beijing was at its weakest and most vulnerable, it is arguably now.

Global frustration with China, chiefly because of its handling of the coronavirus crisis and its subsequent disinformation campaign, has not been so pronounced in decades.

The China Institutes of Contemporary International Relations, a think tank affiliated with the Ministry of State Security, China’s top intelligence body, apparently claimed in a recent report that “global anti-China sentiment is at its highest since the 1989 Tiananmen Square crackdown,” according to a Reuters report paraphrasing of the report.

At the same time, the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) has been weakened domestically as economic growth, the long-ruling party’s main source of legitimacy, is expected to contract in 2020 for the first time in four decades.

Vietnam’s ruling Communist Party, however, has won praise at home and abroad for its competent and uncharacteristically transparent handling of the Covid-19 crisis. Vietnam is also likely to be a big benefactor as the US, Japan and European states seek to “decouple” their economies and shift their supply chains away from China.

Vietnam can also leverage its current strong international standing to make its case against China.

China-PLA-Navy-Soldiers-South-China-Sea-2018-e1567680234834.jpg

Chinese PLA Navy soldiers on a naval vessel in the South China Sea. Photo: Twitter

Vietnam is this year’s rotating chair of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), a position it will likely try to use to forge a more united front amongst Southeast Asian neighbors, many of which have their own rival claims against China in the sea.

Vietnam also holds the non-permanent seat at the UN Security Council for 2021-22, a position that allows it to raise the issue of Chinese “aggression” to other Security Council members, said Carl Thayer, emeritus professor at the University of New South Wales in Australia.

But the problem, he noted, is obvious: “China has the right of veto.” According to Thayer, “Vietnam has been ambiguous about what legal action it would take and what issues it would raise.”

Instead of lodging a complaint through the UN Security Council, Hanoi could pursue the “Philippines model” by making a claim under the UNCLOS treaty, which determines sovereignty and maritime delimitation.

If it takes that route, Hanoi will need to decide whether it files a case at the International Tribunal on the Law of the Sea, the International Court of Justice, an Arbitral Tribunal or a Special Arbitral Tribunal.

“All state parties to UNCLOS are free to nominate which of the four mechanisms it prefers. If a state has not done so, then the default position is the Arbitral Tribunal. This is what occurred with the Philippines and China,” Thayer explained.

If an Arbitral Tribunal rules in Vietnam’s favor, which will require Hanoi to prove several debatable issues over its own historic claims, then “Vietnam would gain by the publicity it received and the political pressure it would put China under,” Thayer said.

US-Vietnam-Donald-Trump-Nguyen-Xuan-Phuc-Febrruary-27-2019-e1551255771826.jpg

US President Donald Trump (R) and Vietnamese Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc (L) at a meeting at the Government Office in Hanoi on February 27, 2019. Photo: Saul Loeb/AFP

It would also give Vietnam “grounds for resisting Chinese actions and would provide a basis for the international community to support Vietnam” but “there is very little Vietnam could do” if Chinaignores the ruling, as it did with the Philippines, Thayer said.

Indeed, there are risks of taking China to court. Writing last August, analyst Le Hong Hiep noted that senior Vietnamese officials are wary of taking China to arbitration as “even if Vietnam wins the case, it will not stop China from encroaching into the country’s waters in the future.”

“Even worse,” he added, “it may make China more aggressive and further destabilise Vietnam–China relations, which may threaten Vietnam’s economic prospects and put the country into a precarious strategic position.”

RAND Corporation analyst Grossman asserted last year that if China did seek conflict, Vietnam would be the Chinese military’s “preferred warm-up because it would offer the military much-needed combat experience in the air and naval domains, without the threat of US intervention, and in a winnable situation.”

It’s unclear if Vietnam is being pressured by international allies, namely the US, to file an arbitration case against China in hopes of establishing a second legal precedent against Beijing’s sea claims. Such a verdict, analysts argue, would give the US more ammunition to intensify its freedom of navigation operations in the South China Sea.

It is “important to highlight how the Chinese Communist party is exploiting the world’s focus on the Covid-19 crisis by continuing its provocative behavior,” US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said to Southeast Asian foreign ministers in a video conference last month.

“The United States,” Pompeo said, “strongly opposes China’s bullying; we hope other nations will hold them to account, too.”

In many ways, Vietnam is in a Catch-22 situation. Its attempts at diplomacy and public protest have failed to deter China, as recent intimidation tactics have underscored.

But internationalizing their tensions might push Vietnam and China – and, by extension, the US and China – closer to a point of armed conflict, which Hanoi likely knows it has no chance of winning without major foreign backing.

Guys, you need CN 235 MPA for better protecting your claim in South China Sea. I think it is not enough to have NC 212i MPA to cover that vast sea area.

Here is our defense journalist statement.

Buying a plane here and there is nice, however it is not going to change anything even if we buy 100 planes. Since I joined Pdf I promoted Vietnam to join the US military alliance. Chinese only respect military strength. Appearing weakness is something we can’t afford. They laugh at us. They will come. It’s a question of when not if. We must be prepared. To fight the Chinese we need more submarines more tanks more aircraft more missiles. A lots of more’s.

We must strike the balance of power, otherwise a war will come. Inevitably.

But Ok to have a good relationship it is good when we buy more aircraft from Indonesia.

Buying a plane here and there is nice, however it is not going to change anything even if we buy 100 planes. Since I joined Pdf I promoted Vietnam to join the US military alliance. Chinese only respect military strength. Appearing weakness is something we can’t afford. They laugh at us. They will come. It’s a question of when not if. We must be prepared. To fight the Chinese we need more submarines more tanks more aircraft more missiles. A lots of more’s.

We must strike the balance of power, otherwise a war will come. Inevitably.

But Ok to have a good relationship it is good when we buy more aircraft from Indonesia.

I believe they wont come. I dont think they want to conquer any land just like in the old days, they just want to assert more power in South China Sea. This is why they build several military post there. Those aircraft carriers are also intended for their adventure in SCS. It shows seriousness on their part for that plan.

As I said already in other thread, Indonesia will only possibly pose formidable power projection after the year 2034, with the assumption we can still grow economically at least 5-6 percent for the next 14 years. I believe our future leader until 2034 will still adopt similar policy like the previous ones to keep defense spending below 1 percentage of GDP. So by looking into that realistic projection, our defense spending will only increase inline with GDP growth increase.

I believe that from now until 2034, the needed of that power balance can only be achieved by the present of US military and its ally. So far we see new development at the end of last year during NATO meeting when US try to bring NATO to help them do the power projection and posturing in a contested SCS. If NATO agrees with US plan, it can bring significant blow to China power projection in that area.

Indonesia IMO will likely to be more vocal on the issue starting this year and try to bring ASEAN together in the SCS dispute as we have witnessed in January events. And as Malaysia appears to show more firm stance on the dispute as well which is quite contrast with its previous leadership under Najib, so it is likely that ASEAN can be more united on the SCS issue and produce more strong stance about the important for all parties to abide with UNCLOS rule in every ASEAN-China meeting.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the news about ASEAN more stronger stance on the issue.

ASEAN reaffirms international law as basis for sovereignty in South China Sea
  • Dian Septiari
    The Jakarta Post
    Jakarta / Sat, January 18, 2020 / 03:56 pm
https://www.thejakartapost.com/seas...-appointed-as-pgn-president-commissioner.html

Last edited:
I believe they wont come. I dont think they want to conquer any land just like in the old days, they just want to assert more power in South China Sea. This is why they build several military post there. Those aircraft carriers are also intended for their adventure in SCS. It shows seriousness on their part for that plan.

As I said already in other thread, Indonesia will only possibly pose formidable power projection after the year 2034, with the assumption we can still grow economically at least 5-6 percent for the next 14 years. I believe our future leader until 2034 will still adopt similar policy like the previous ones to keep defense spending below 1 percentage of GDP. So by looking into that realistic projection, our defense spending will only increase inline with GDP growth increase.

I believe that from now until 2034, the needed of that power balance can only be achieved by the present of US military and its ally. So far we see new development at the end of last year during NATO meeting when US try to bring NATO to help them do the power projection and posturing in a contested SCS. If NATO agrees with US plan, it can bring significant blow to China power projection in that area.

Indonesia IMO will likely to be more vocal on the issue starting this year and try to bring ASEAN together in the SCS dispute as we have witnessed in January events. And as Malaysia appears to show more firm stance on the dispute as well which is quite contrast with its previous leadership under Najib, so it is likely that ASEAN can be more united on the SCS issue and produce more strong stance about the important for all parties to abide with UNCLOS rule in every ASEAN-China meeting.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the news about ASEAN more stronger stance on the issue.

ASEAN reaffirms international law as basis for sovereignty in South China Sea
  • Dian Septiari
    The Jakarta Post
    Jakarta / Sat, January 18, 2020 / 03:56 pm
https://www.thejakartapost.com/seas...-appointed-as-pgn-president-commissioner.html
Indonesia doesn’t share a common land border with China, you don’t share common sea lanes, either; hence you are not in a precarious strategic position as we are.

But your assessment is right that a military strong Indonesia is very helpful in maintaining a certain degree of balance of power. The US military presence in the region is imperative though.

I don’t believe Asean can do anything.

13 MAY 2020 12:00 AM

Video footage shows Vietnamese T-90S/SK MBTs fitted with Shtora-1 APS

Video footage released online on 12 May by the Vietnam National Defence television channel (QPVN) shows that at least some of the Vietnam People's Army (VPA) T-90S/SK main battle tanks (MBTs) acquired from Russia have been equipped with the Shtora-1 active protection system (APS).

The footage, which was part of a QPVN news programme, showed at least one T-90SK and two T-90S MBTs fitted with the Russian-made APS.

The second distinctive feature on the MBTs, which were shown being displayed at a military base alongside several other tanks and an armoured recovery vehicle, was the Kord 12.7 mm heavy machinegun (HMG) - instead of the organic NSVT 12.7 mm HMG - which was seen installed in a roof-top mount.

fg_2846463-jdw-5894.jpeg

A screengrab from QPVN video footage released on 12 May showing VPA T-90S/SK MBTs equipped with the Shtora-1 active protection system.

The QPVN news report comes after the Russian Federal Service for Military-Technical Cooperation (FSVTS) told Jane’s in March 2019 that Moscow had completed the delivery of 64 T-90S/SK MBTs to Vietnam under a contract signed in 2016.

A representative of the Vietnam People’s Army (VPA) told Janes at the time that the MBTs had been shipped in two large batches, each totalling “no fewer than 30 platforms”.

“The first batch was delivered last December [2018], while the second one arrived in Vietnam in late February [2019],” said the sources at the time, adding that the VPA received the MBTs equipped with Kontakt-5 explosive reactive armour and “a turret-mounted missile countermeasures system”.

The vehicles are replacing outdated Chinese-made Type 59 and non-upgraded Soviet-era T-54 tanks, he added.

https://www.janes.com/defence-news/news-detail/2020/05/14/b92a31b2-a433-4ea0-979e-107a5b8fedd0

97989199_3124406230950644_7404387931697184768_n_20255819.jpg

Tàu tuần tra USCGC John Midgett đã được xóa bỏ số hiệu

000-1_20256591.jpg

Hệ thống CIWS Phalanx cùng radar AN/SPS-40 đã được gỡ bỏ khỏi tàu

Former US coast vessel USCGC John Midgett is stripped off painting, rotating gun phalanx, radar before handing over to Vietnam Coast Guard.

Vietnam Coast Guard says will continue patrols despite chinese threat.

photo-1-1589731657253419952308-crop-1589731671185780465568.jpg

Tàu cảnh sát biển 8004 làm nhiệm vụ trên biển. Ảnh: Cảnh sát biển VN

T90S/SK

t904-1568782043488293583240.png

t903-15687818682861439104563.gif

Khả năng điều khiển xe tăng khá ấn tượng của kíp lái T-90 Việt Nam. Ảnh: Binh chủng Tăng Thiết giáp.

SOUTHEAST ASIA
A New Dynamics of U.S.-Viet Nam Relations: U.S.-led ‘Quad and Viet Nam Axis’ in the Indo-Pacific

April 26, 2020
By

Gitanjali Sinha Roy
The relation between the United States and Viet Nam has been reinvigorated in the recent times and that has led to an extraordinary level mutual exchange. Both countries have had a tempestuous past with scars of the war.

This rapprochement accompanied with Viet Nam’s efforts to work with the Asia-Pacific countries like Japan and India speaks volumes about Viet Nam’s concern over Chinese assertive superiority mainly in the South China Sea and due to these dynamics, the relations between the United States of America and Viet Nam are now in a new era of stronger relations. The article traces the reasons for the ‘new changes within the dynamics’ between the United States of America and Vietnam which stems the possibility of the formation of a ‘United States-led coalition with the Quad countries and Viet Nam Axis’ in the Indo-Pacific region.

According to the 2019 Defence White Paper of Viet Nam, it considers itself as a“maritime nation which pays special attention to the safety and protection of the seas along with commitment towards the freedom of navigation and overflight”. They also aim for free trade and peaceful economic activities in accordance with international law. For the United States, the importance of Viet Nam is based on the fact that it is a Southeast Asian nation, a maritime power and in a tussle with China in the South China Sea. Therefore, the United States finds Viet Nam to be the most suitable candidate for their South and Southeast Asian strategy where China’s maritime dominance and its efforts to emerge as a maritime hegemonic power needs to be dealt with.

Also, the U.S knows very well that apart from China, Viet Nam has been considered the most dangerous maritime power as it has taken China on in the South China Sea.

The U.S. has been amazed by the sheer courage that Viet Nam has shown to tackle Chinese aggression.The 2019 Defence White Paper also clearly reflects Viet Nam’s fear from Chinese encroachment as it mentions about the destabilizing elements in the region which threatens the stability, peace and prosperity in the South China Sea and East Sea according to Viet Nam. Though, the white paper avoids calling out any countries name, but it does mention that the “new developments in the East Sea like the unilateral actions, power-based coercion, violation of international law, militarization, change in the status quo, and infringement upon Vietnam’s sovereignty, sovereign rights, and jurisdiction as provided in international law have undermined the interests of nations concerned and threatened peace, stability, security, safety, and freedom of navigation and overflight in the region.” Therefore, it is a clear reference to China without actually naming it.

Viet Nam faces multiple challenges from China in the South China Sea of threat from militarised artificial islands and the test deployments of capabilities from these island facilities.

Viet Nam has become active in the economic operations within the claimed exclusive economic zone and its continental shelf and has been repetitively challenged by China which has resulted in the withdrawal of some oil and gas exploration projects like the demand to cease the exploration operation with Repsol in 2017 and the most recent standoff around the Vanguard Bank.

The United States of America understands Viet Nam’s importance in the multipolar world and knows how Viet Nam can be an integral part of the Indo-Pacific strategy of countering Chinese maritime dominance. Viet Nam too agrees with this fact and the 2019 Defence White paper is proof of that where it assesses the global situation which has been rapidly evolving into a multipolar order.

The region of Southeast Asia continues to be a dynamic part of the Asia-Pacific region due to its increasingly important geo-economic, geo-political and geo-strategic location making it a battleground among the great powers and it also mentioned the various foreign initiatives of China’s Belt and Road Initiative (BRI), the U.S. Free and Open Indo-Pacific Strategy (FOIP) and India’s Look East Policy (LEP) now Act East Policy (AEP). Viet Nam has been making efforts to build good ties with Australia, India and Japan and other partners of the United States keeping the Free and Indo-Pacific concept and strategy in mind.

In March 2018, they signed a new strategic partnership and 2019 during Prime Minister Morrison’s visit recognised each other’s importance as bilateral as well as Indo-Pacific partners globally. Both countries expressed their serious concerns in the developments of the South China Sea especially the long-standing oil and gas issues and condemned Chinese behaviour of violating the International law in particular UNCLOS. Viet Nam’s relations with India are based on a comprehensive strategic partnership which entails both these nations to build closer maritime security cooperation and work towards oil and gas explorations.

India has been training fighter pilots from Viet Nam and has been in talks to sell surface-to-air missiles. Both the countries have had joint naval exercises. Viet Nam’s relations with Japan have significantly expanded through strategic links in the last five years. These expanded ties include regular Japanese port visits to Viet Nam and Japan has been assisting Vietnam in maritime security and defence industrial cooperation. Viet Nam has been building closer relations with all three close partners of the U.S and by doing this is paving itself a position of being a networking security forum where all the regional powers combine which would help each of these countries come together and align against their common cause of threat, China.

Viet Nam was recently invited by the United States to participate in the Indo-Pacific teleconference on the COVID-19. Viet Nam was the only non-Quad member invited to this teleconferencing. Though, it can be said that since Viet Nam has been the Chair for ASEAN this year maybe that’s why it was invited by the United States.

On the contrary, the new changing dynamics in the relations between the U.S. and Viet Nam clearly highlights the importance of Viet Nam’s contribution in dealing with China in the Southeast Asian region especially as a maritime partner.

Viet Nam is known to have the strongest standing army and maritime force in Southeast Asia which is also beneficial in a situation of crisis in the region. Viet Nam’s relations with Japan Australia and India pave way for a multi-lateral dimension in its diplomacy which ultimately benefits the U.S. and due to all these inter-twined relations; Viet Nam has indirectly become a part of the Quad and so, there is a possible formation of a U.S. led coalition with Quad countries and Vietnam Axis in the Indo-Pacific region.

Back
Top Bottom