What's new

Vietnam Defence Forum

I wonder, why overhyped S-300 and S-400 is never considered by India? Thats interesting.

In 90s India bought some S-300, but never again shown interest in this system again. Or that system was never offered to India again, but thats highly unlikely? @Carlosa @Viet Anything you know about it. Instead India chose a very different path for SAM.
do you know of any systems that are better than s300/s400? Patriot perhaps? no, the US only exports to her allies, and vietnam is not in the list. do we want to become US ally? maybe yes, if the confrontation becomes unavoidable.

our s300 (and future s400) is part of our defence shield against chinese balistic missiles. but we should not make any illusions. if the chinese begin to fire 100 or 1,000 missiles on our cities, we have no chance.

conclusion, we must acquire the capabilty to strike chinese missiles sites by our balistic missiles AND our tank armies must be able to capture the sites by land invasion. well, the PLA seems to know it. we now have more than 3,200 tanks. with new established divisions of modern tanks of t-72 and t-90 tanks, we could break through chinese border defence.

PLA fears of 'Vietnamese invasion' halt Chinese city government's road construction project | South China Morning Post

Last edited:
do you know of any systems that are better than s300/s400? Patriot perhaps?

our s300 (and future s400) is part of our defence shield against chinese balistic missiles. but we should not make any illusions. if the chinese begin to fire 100 or 1,000 missiles on our cities, we have no chance.

no, we must acquire the capabilty to strike chinese missiles sites by our balistic missiles AND our tank armies must be able to capture the sites by land invasion. well, the PLA seems to know it.

PLA fears of 'Vietnamese invasion' halt Chinese city government's road construction project | South China Morning Post
Umm, yes. What about David's Sling, still in development stage. But this is even better than S-500.

do you know of any systems that are better than s300/s400? Patriot perhaps? no, the US only exports to her allies, and vietnam is not in the list. do we want to become US ally? maybe yes, if the confrontation becomes unavoidable.

conclusion, we must acquire the capabilty to strike chinese missiles sites by our balistic missiles AND our tank armies must be able to capture the sites by land invasion. well, the PLA seems to know it. we now have more than 3,200 tanks. with new established divisions of modern tanks of t-72 and t-90 tanks, we could break through chinese border defence.

I love SM-3 and THAAD.

most of Vietnam tank fleets is obsolete, and been left unmodernized for decades, if i recall most tank in your inventory is T-54/T-55/T-62 in which during Yom Kippur and Six Day War found them helpless against the combination of AMX-13 and Shot cal of Israel. And in comparison, Chinese army has modernized their fleet with newer MBT and technology.

And for reminder you should look at Syria, their inventory is more modern and larger than Vietnam but in the face of modern anti-tank weapons like MILAN, Kornet, Metis-M and BGM-72 TOW and the likes of RPG-29 in the hands of infantry rebels, most of their tanks is helpless.

Unless Vietnam can deploy something better like Merkava Mk IV, Abrams M1A1 or Challenger II and i recommend in large number too, i don't think your army with the so called large number of tanks will make much different situations against China battle front.

most of Vietnam tank fleets is obsolete, and been left unmodernized for decades, if i recall most tank in your inventory is T-54/T-55/T-62 in which during Yom Kippur and Six Day War found them helpless against the combination of AMX-13 and Shot cal of Israel. And in comparison, Chinese army has modernized their fleet with newer MBT and technology.

And for reminder you should look at Syria, their inventory is more modern and larger than Vietnam but in the face of modern anti-tank weapons like MILAN, Kornet, Metis-M and BGM-72 TOW and the likes of RPG-29 in the hands of infantry rebels, most of their tanks is helpless.

Unless Vietnam can deploy something better like Merkava Mk IV, Abrams M1A1 or Challenger II and i recommend in large number too, i don't think your army with the so called large number of tanks will make much different situations against China battle front.

Now about our tank fleet well yeah most of them is old but there is already a major upgrading program for both armor and FCS , also our tanks can use Bastion missle (which is extremely expensive so only the best crew in each companny got them, about 2-4 i think and with the recent rise in budget i hope its will soon be the standard load-out )

About those Syria tanks I think you are mistaking something , all tanks can be destroyed if it got a solid hit by a new genoration ATGM and in this case even easier in urban warfare , M1 Abrams tanks are burning everywhere in Iraq so is that a sigh of a "weak" tank ? this is more about crew training and moral than the level of equipments , with proper tactics we can make use even the vintage Su-100 :v

Future conflict with China will be more likely short skirmish and VN will be on the defensive , if you have check our northen border geography , you will see that unless they practically use nuclear bombs on them there is no way they can effectively move in without facing interlocking fire from surrounding vantage points , we have plenty of well camouflage and hardened bunkers with professional troops armed with the latest toys from both Western and Russian including RPG-29 , RPO-A , Thermal Scanner , etc...........PS: Here is 1 of many tank that undergoing upgrade , plz do remember that this is top secret , i may get my *** kicked by C2 so be glad :)
DCs0D36.jpg

BTW that red T-shirt guy look very handsome , dont you all agree ? :3

You forgot the 480 T-72s as per leaks from Russia and others, but anyway, the way Vietnam uses those old tanks is for infantry support and they are ok for that. Vietnam has other means to deal with enemy MBTs. Its also very clear from many unofficial sources that Vietnam started to get T-90s but I know you will ask for proof and that will not be possible anytime soon. :P

David's sling its great with dual seekers, 400 km range and 50 km altitude range, but in no way can compete with S-500 which is a full BMD system (Israel has Arrow 2 / 3 for that) or with S-400 when it comes to BMD, S-400 uses the 40N6 missile with 185 km altitude range.

Now about our tank fleet well yeah most of them is old but there is already a major upgrading program for both armor and FCS , also our tanks can use Bastion missle (which is extremely expensive so only the best crew in each companny got them, about 2-4 i think and with the recent rise in budget i hope its will soon be the standard load-out )

About those Syria tanks I think you are mistaking something , all tanks can be destroyed if it got a solid hit by a new genoration ATGM and in this case even easier in urban warfare , M1 Abrams tanks are burning everywhere in Iraq so is that a sigh of a "weak" tank ? this is more about crew training and moral than the level of equipments , with proper tactics we can make use even the vintage Su-100 :v

Future conflict with China will be more likely short skirmish and VN will be on the defensive , if you have check our northen border geography , you will see that unless they practically use nuclear bombs on them there is no way they can effectively move in without facing interlocking fire from surrounding vantage points , we have plenty of well camouflage and hardened bunkers with professional troops armed with the latest toys from both Western and Russian including RPG-29 , RPO-A , Thermal Scanner , etc...........PS: Here is 1 of many tank that undergoing upgrade , plz do remember that this is top secret , i may get my *** kicked by C2 so be glad :)
DCs0D36.jpg

What upgrade is that? You already revealed enough to get your arse kicked by C2, so you may as well reveal a bit more. :P

...with proper tactics we can make use even the vintage Su-100.

Su-100? Thánh Ah Q, please don't talk with your Ah Q mentality here. You're still gonna die in a Su-100 against a Type99 no matter what spiritual power you have.

Also I like your top secret info...from ttvn?:lol: Please don't blow arsse here. (If you gonna blow, blow it big.)

You forgot the 480 T-72s as per leaks from Russia and others, but anyway, the way Vietnam uses those old tanks is for infantry support and they are ok for that. Vietnam has other means to deal with enemy MBTs. Its also very clear from many unofficial sources that Vietnam started to get T-90s but I know you will ask for proof and that will not be possible anytime soon. :P :P

Yea she keeps ignoring that reputable western source that says VN already has 500 T-72 and 200 T-90. :lol:

David's sling its great with dual seekers, 400 km range and 50 km altitude range, but in no way can compete with S-500 which is a full BMD system (Israel has Arrow 2 / 3 for that) or with S-400 when it comes to BMD, S-400 uses the 40N6 missile with 185 km altitude range.
Forget the Arrow, Israel even refused its export to India, so I dont believe they export to Vietnam.

On other note, BMD work as a network, its all about architect and data flow, how efficient radar system are working.
And I dont think Russians have better radar than L-Band Super Green Pine or X-band AN/TPY-2.

On other note, India using derivative of Green Pine called Swordfish LRTR and imported BMD architectures during starting of 2000 from Israel, and if India is serious about BMD network then ultimately India need to deploy X-band LRTR.

Swordfish is good as static radar and protecting big cities, but cant be used as tactical or inside battlefield.
The IIR seeker and ARH seeker in Indian BMD network is still russian, the Indian seeker was tested a month ago, but it failed. :(

So, my verdict is, nope in seeker and radar or BMD architecture, Russians are decade behind than American or Israeli, and they cant match Arrow or David's Sling.

which is reputable western source? Wikipedia?

DCs0D36.jpg

That looks like the T-55M3 upgrade, but didn't they make only 1 prototype?

meh look like someone with little grey matter in his brain is speaking , i will just pretend that another crappy blabbering from a guy that have mental problem :) and for that guy i said "we can make use of the Su-100" i never said VN will send them head on with the Type-99 , the SU-100 can be use to target China APC , IFV or light armored ones :)

That looks like the T-55M3 upgrade, but didn't they make only 1 prototype?
Nah , you can see that the turret ring is different and the number of ERA on the front :) I think that those ERA maybe come from the M3 project but this desigh look more like a T-55AM :)

for the comparsion :)
T-5xM3-5.jpg

Back
Top Bottom