What's new

Vietnam Defence Forum

@Zarvan nothing is wrong about Vietnam bought Brahmos from India

we are (Indonesia) interesting in Brahmos too and even we had consider to bought some frigate from India if they can competing with some European firms for the next phase of modernization project in Indonesia, nothing problems with that you can bought weapons from everyone if it deemed necessary, is all about National interest.
Buying frigates from India you gotta be kidding and buying Brahmos from China will realy impact your relations with China

Buying frigates from India you gotta be kidding and buying Brahmos from China will realy impact your relations with China

well some of our Naval officer has visited their shipyard and checking some ships especially Talwar class, about China? we don't mind them at all when we are buying weapons. Just like our Vietnamese friend here.

Your position is fundamentally flawed. You stated that VN needs to spends trillions of dollars same as china in order to have a proper military ecosystem and if it can't, then can't have an effective ecosystem to defend itself from china.

The ecosystem that china needs is far bigger and far more expensive than what Vietnam needs because of the large chinese territory and the many threats it faces (India, Russia, Japan, USA, Korea, Vietnam, South china sea.

VN on the other hand, only has one enemy and a small territory that is far easier to defend.
Vietnam needs a far smaller and far cheaper ecosystem than china. Vietnam needs a ecosystem tailored to its needs, not a copy of china's ecosystem. Vietnam can concentrate ALL its military resources to face the one threat, china can only deploy an small part of its military against Vietnam since it needs to have most of its forces in the border areas of all those many other threats.

VN does not need a nuclear ecosystem, china does, that's just one of many differences.

Vietnam is steadily building the ecosystem that it needs.

The Vietnam People's Army has utilized satellite communication for the military since 1998, with 4 VSAT stations for the Navy and another five for the air force and army. That was the first step in building the unified command and control system of the 'C3ISR' (Command, Control, Communications, Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance). The integrated C3ISR network will be finished in a few years. Vietnam has already produced small satellites and is steadily building bigger and bigger satellites to satisfy its needs. Military data link by satellite is already operational since 2008.

Are you aware that VN is building a sophisticated network of radars specifically dedicated to the detection of stealth aircraft as preparation for when china deploys the J-20?

Instead of boasting about the chinese ecosystem (which is way inferior to the one from USA by the way), I suggest you work on fixing all its holes because it has plenty, just to make a point, the chinese radar network in china's coastline (which happens to be the most important area of it) has big gaps between radars that allow US aircraft to penetrate undetected into chinese airspace.
So much for the multi trillion dollar chinese ecosystem, even VN's radar network is better than that.

The fact that you said that there is no difference between Sadam's military and Vietnam's military shows how little you know about the VPA and unlike China's PLA that has a well built reputation for grossly exaggerating its military capabilities, Vietnam on the other hand, keeps utmost secrecy.

I already made the points that I needed to make, I'm not getting into endless debates, I'm in the middle of traveling, I'm done with the subject, ok? Bye Bye.

The gap between Vietnam and China will only grow bigger, not smaller, just like the GDP gap.

The military power is fundamentally backed by the economic power. The best example is USSR, since they didn't have the economic power of the US, that's why they eventually lost the military race against the US.

China's nominal GDP right now is 10 trillion, and it will annually add 1 trillion, which is equivalent to 6 countries like Vietnam.

And tell me how the gap is going to grow smaller?

no question the chinese are smart and play dirty tricks. they say one thing and do other thing. for them, the southeast asians are dumb. well, now at least Malaysia realises it and offers to host US spy aircraft. a 180 degree return.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/mala...vy-aircraft-military-official-says-1410524618

Indonesia has access to weapon technologies of US, Korean and other western companies. I guess the chinese are very interested to obtain this from Indonesia through backdoors, hence the proposed defence cooperations with Indonesia. Nothing is free in this world, least from the chinese.

We are not interested about those watered down export of the US weapons.

As for the Korean weapons, are you kidding me? Those South Koreans don't even know how to build a modern rocket of their own.

Last edited:
Because they have never been in the West, that's why they believe it should be a heaven.

BTW, we should stick to the topic.

Vietnam is a weak country, it is not wise for them to involve into a military race with a major great power like China.

Yes, we should stick to topic, this is not an economic forum anyway and to finish, I'll say that I didn't say that china is not a big economic power, of course it is, what I said is that the numbers are cooked and that's a well known open secret in china. The trillion dollar economy is more like 8 to 9 in practice. And still, economic power doesn't often translate into prosperity to most people. In USA the stock market keeps going up, but that doesn't do anything for the average working person.

There is no doubt that Vietnam is much weaker than china, who denies that? My point was that china has many holes to fix before boasting so much about all that power. And anyway, numbers, appearances and theories end when actual conflict starts. There are plenty of cases of big powers and mighty military ecosystems that got defeated by smaller powers, so lets not be so overconfident. Like they say in USA, talk is cheap.

c42751a8f06f2ef2189af8df0e2747ad.jpg

fbb3b23dcc1dbe0ddd34428c6ac7984c.jpg

Russia can refit Kilos to launch Brahmos I think.

Or get Amur class

6914296cbdb5e127438b4722a9f4905b.jpg

a5de74cb069a5f0713c194379a9c0487.gif

Good stand off weapon

China doesnt have Brahmos to sell.

View attachment 51097
View attachment 51098

Russia can refit Kilos to launch Brahmos I think.

Or get Amur class

View attachment 51099

View attachment 51100

Good stand off weapon

Oh very interesting info, thank you. I knew that the sub designer, Rubin is working on a AIP that can be retrofited it in a Kilo by adding a section to the hull, but to add a section for Brahmos really takes the sub to the next level, I thought the Kilo was too small for that. Can I ask you about your source for that?

What's the status with Amur? The Russians were having a lot of problems with it and with the AIP, are they solving those issues?

Oh very interesting info, thank you. I knew that the sub designer, Rubin is working on a AIP that can be retrofited it in a Kilo by adding a section to the hull, but to add a section for Brahmos really takes the sub to the next level, I thought the Kilo was too small for that. Can I ask you about your source for that?

Never mind, the first two pics are also Amur class, not Kilo.

Stick to the topic about Vietnam's military not Vietnam or China's living conditions.

Since Vietnam now views China as the biggest potential threat, so it is normal to have China's subject involved in the topic.

But it is the Viet members here who started to derail the topic, and making fun about China's living standards.

So next time I will not reply to their off-topic comments.

Since Vietnam now views China as the biggest potential threat, so it is normal to have China's subject involved in the topic.

But it is the Viet members here who started to derail the topic, and making fun about China's living standards.

So next time I will not reply to their off-topic comments.

As I recalled you are the one that started to talk about GDP.

Haven't been following it. Though, they are still offering it to the Indian navy.

India seems to be going for more Scorpenes, but that one is too small for the Brahmos I think.

Back
Top Bottom