What's new

Vietnam, Agent Orange, and GMOs

It's weird to use the word superstition to describe the anti-GMO opinion in China or elsewhere. European countries have totally forbidden sales of GM food for a long time until recently. The new European laws imposed strict regulations on GM food sale. The China's debate on GMO products mainly focused on lack of registrations, regulations and monitoring of GM food.

Strange enough! China is the world's largest food producer that yields over 600M tons of grains per year. Still we are known to be the world's largest importer of food. About 85% of our 70M ton food import is soy beans, and the rests are corns and agriculture products for starch production. We consume three times more grain type food per capita than those of Indians. In theory we don't have to import food but waste of food is a huge problem in China.

We are self sufficient on food issues. Our main crop import including soy beans and corns is only needed for food processing industry. Abuse of GMO seeds could cause ecological disasters.

If Chinese reject it, it's superstition. When Europeans do it, it's because they are sophisticated.

It's weird to use the word superstition to describe the anti-GMO opinion in China or elsewhere. European countries have totally forbidden sales of GM food for a long time until recently. The new European laws imposed strict regulations on GM food sale. The China's debate on GMO products mainly focused on lack of registrations, regulations and monitoring of GM food.

I've looked and looked, and have yet to find a scientific consensus, or even a majority opinion, that states that GMO is harmful to human health. That's why I call it superstition, because the opposition to GMO is yet to be founded on science. Perhaps science will prove that GMO is harmful at some point, but until now, the anti-GMO camp might as well be declaring that "GMO is sinful and cursed by G-d" for all of the factual evidence they present (essentially none). That's why I call it superstition, because it certainly isn't scientific.

And the belief that GMO is a conspiracy to annihilate the Chinese race merely bolsters my opinion in this regard.

If Chinese reject it, it's superstition. When Europeans do it, it's because they are sophisticated.

No, I have called European opposition to GMO "superstition" as well. But feel free to fabricate more grievances against the West to make yourself feel better.

Say no to GMO. Soon Monsanto will claims the copyrights of the seeds in China. BAHAHAHA.

Why don't you ask the poor farmers in India: Why're they committing suicide?

Last edited:
I've looked and looked, and have yet to find a scientific consensus, or even a majority opinion, that states that GMO is harmful to human health. That's why I call it superstition, because the opposition to GMO is yet to be founded on science. Perhaps science will prove that GMO is harmful at some point, but until now, the anti-GMO camp might as well be declaring that "GMO is sinful and cursed by G-d" for all of the factual evidence they present (essentially none). That's why I call it superstition, because it certainly isn't scientific.

And the belief that GMO is a conspiracy to annihilate the Chinese race merely bolsters my opinion in this regard.

Generally, GMO food would merely differ in some DNA and protein compositions compared with natural products. The DNAs/proteins will be digested into amino acids/nucleic acids before our bodies take up and use them. So GMO food is safe.

However our bodies would by some mistake take up intact small proteins (or in some cases nucleotides) and react against them. It's called allergy.

With modern biotech it's possible to use plants to deliver exotic things that are biologically active. For instance one could use rice as a carrier to produce human albumin for medical use.

So far GMO is not harmful to human health in public eyes. If the technique is used in wrong ways it could be harmful to humans.

Food is one of the most vital strategic asset, so naturally China would only go on GMO that China absolutely controlled.

The benefits that GMO brought is questionable, to take such a high risk without high return is irresponsible. China is totally self-sufficient in food. China would follow/keep up the research, there is no need to hurry.

Food is one of the most vital strategic asset, so naturally China would only go on GMO that China absolutely controlled.

The benefits that GMO brought is questionable, to take such a high risk without high return is irresponsible. China is totally self-sufficient in food. China would follow/keep up the research, there is no need to hurry.
correct. A sick society is useless. I applaud China on this one.

Latest posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom