What's new

Vietnam Accuses China of Damaging Survey Ship

What are you, the Chinese foreign ministry?
, it's not a secret any more. Any one knows how to use "Jesus loves you."
The Chinese "big daddy" Jesus loves you, Vietnamese, do you hear?

CardSharp would make an excellent foreign minister.

Did anyone check out the latest pictures of the Vietnamese workers giving the cameraman the finger?

I wonder where the Vietnamese ships were operating. It's either Paracel Islands or Spartleys, both in dispute. I suspect we'll see more of these in the coming years.
it's 120km off the Vietnamese coast and 600km south from Hainan. From what I read, it's in undisputed Vietnamese waters (on international papers), but China also claims as its own.

Negotiation is fine. However, I do not think China will give up territories there to Vietnam. If Vietnam wants to play the hard way, China knows how to respond.

We let them know 30 years ago. If they want to review that again, we will happily abide by.

I am Vietnamese, so my opinion is biased. Negotiation? Vietnam can't win bilateral negotiation. If it were to be the US, I don't think they can either because China's influence in economy is just so great. That's why ASEAN wants to internationalize this issue.

Again, my opinion is biased. But if you look at China's U-shaped claim of the sea, it is somehow ridiculous. I mean, there's no logical reasons for the vast territories... But from China's point of view (I pretend that I can understand), after negotiation(China and the ASEAN), with international pressure, China would give up about 2/3 of their claim. But the 1/3 that is left is probably a bigger territory than China's current waters. Well for China, it's a win-win situation, so why not claiming as much as they can and then end up with something good either way ^^. By the way, where's international waters if China claims that much???

PS: 30 years ago, the border wasn't well defined (on international papers), Vietnam can't say anything, really. (Vietnamese textbooks call it the 1980 Chinese invasion, I guess Chinese's ones call it " to affirm sovereignty". But yeah for either side, that was the "last" effort to earn some more land. =P

Vietnam has indeed won bilateral negotiations in the past. We gave up 1/2 of the Lao Shan disputed territory to Vietnam after reclaiming it for 10 years just to appease the Vietnamese government.

Even this small concession was seen as the betrayal of China by Chinese ultranationalists.

This is a sensitive issue because China has been humiliated and our land stolen by foreigners too many times in the past. Therefore, any invasion of our territory, both real and imagined, can be used as rallying points for militarism.

It is best that Vietnam refrains from provoking China because while our government is evenhanded and reasonable there are many hotheaded nationalists that would pressure the government for military action.

It's great to hear from a Chinese about what (s)he thinks. I myself prefer not to talk too much about politics, yet I did here (I felt the urge). Nowadays, I don't think any rational government would go for military action except for some in Africa, some in Middle East, North Korea and...the US.
About the Laoshan territories, I don't know what to say, dispute would go on years and years... We all can understand one's attachment to the land where one was born. But sometimes, we have to be logical, the U-shape territory claim is kind of... weird, in my respect.
Also, I don't think Vietnam provokes China. Instead, many Vietnamese think that the government is too soft and doesn't have a solution. So, the government responds by making this public accusation (probably because of the election).

I know most Chinese and Vietnamese wish for a peaceful resolution, there are but also too many hotheaded on both sides. Ah... and Vietnamese can't win in term of military "race" (not even a race, Vietnam has nothing)

For Vietnamese news, you can check here: vnexpress.net/gl/the-gioi/tu-lieu/2011/06/toan-canh-vu-trung-quoc-xam-pham-viet-nam/
You can use google translation, not too bad in my opinion, I've seen worse translation(s). It is Vietnamese-based, so it's one-sided. This is also very sensitive in Vietnam... Someone talked about hardcore nationalism in Vietnam, it may be right, but I believe it's pretty much that way everywhere.
Anyway, I wish this could be resolved in the most acceptable (for all sides), efficient and logical way.

PS: I can't post hyperlinks (my # of posts is under 5)

that because they have no brain, they are overrated themselves, but in truth they have been countless beaten by many small country like: Kitan, Manchu, Jurchen, ... yet they are always thing that they are unbeatable, well i'm just hear to give my dear Vietnamese one phrase: "Keep your heart burning hot but with a cool head."

that because they have no brain, they are overrated themselves, but in truth they have been countless beaten by many small country like: Kitan, Manchu, Jurchen, ... yet they are always thing that they are unbeatable, well i'm just hear to give my dear Vietnamese one phrase: "Keep your heart burning hot but with a cool head."

To my fellow Vietnamese, I heard that phrase a million times over (when watching soccer/football, I love it. By the way, don't get me wrong about what I'm about to say. We would like to keep peace in this forum, so saying things in the way you said wasn't for the best. All human have brain (cogito ergo sum?). It's just that sometimes, people become irrational (with bad connotation here). History is history, you shouldn't have pointed that out... since there's no universal truth. Even in areas like mathematics, who knows the fifth postulate is wrong to begin with? given a 2-sphere (which has a different metric, different curvature), two parallel lines do cut!(off subject, sorry). Anyway, keep your heart burning also (oh I refer to everyone, to both sides and neutral).

Back
Top Bottom