What's new

[VIDEO] Must watch: Reflections from Afghanistan

Needless to say things are pretty bad -- I was a bit surprised that even I was taken aback.

Videos here

See the Ghani part of the interview at 4:30

Ghani says: We will not be able to support our army for six months without US support and capabilities

@A-Team @Sher Malang @django @Zibago @saiyan0321
bloody hell! Things were bad but I never thought this bad.

They have fortified Kabul into a fiefdom.

Ghani says: We will not be able to support our army for six months without US support and capabilities
Ghani should commit suicide along with all his ministers and executive and vice president for failing in such a disgraceful way.

Needless to say things are pretty bad -- I was a bit surprised that even I was taken aback.

Videos here

6th months is an over estimate..i think more realastic view would be couple of weeks
and the reason is "money"
if they get the money than may be a couple of years

One ANA genral said in an interview it would take the Taliban
24 hours to overun them without U.S/Nato support.

Videos here

It's an absolute disaster, but we all knew it would be, this failed state is going to be problematic for the foreseeable future, "build the wall"......Logan is a damn fine looking women.Kudos Sir

This isn't surprising at all, I'd urge all to read what happened to the Democratic Republic of Afghanistan (pro-Soviet regime) and its security forces 1989 onward after the Soviets withdrew, they already were in a fragile state and most of the country was not controlled by them. Najibullah many times tried to stop any Soviet withdrawal, but they did eventually.

Early on the DRA government had some successes in defending itself in places like Jalalabad, but their luck eventually ran out. They were summarily defeated in Khost and the Soviet backing almost ended, their army lost its will to fight and they suffered mass desertions. Even before the Soviet withdrawal the DRA's army suffered tens of thousands of desertions per year, afterwards it crumbled all together.

I don't think it will be as bad for the current Kabul regime but they know just how fragile their existence is and how unsustainable their position is. Luckily for them, the US seems happy to continue this war for the foreseeable future, and it is certainly not in as bad of a position as the Soviet Union was, it can continue to support the Kabul Regime.

One ANA genral said in an interview it would take the Taliban
24 hours to overun them without U.S/Nato support.
they havent addressed the fundamentals
1. drugs
2. corruption
3. representative govt

4. disgruntling the neighbours

You know I have to give it to the yanks, Winston Churchill once remarked that the yanks will do the right thing after exhausting every wrong option!

Something along those lines, anyway what I want to say is you see all of their security personnel who they have trained under ANA/ANP are vastly from the minority ethnic groups.

By alienating the majority Pashtuns they think they will win.

Good Luck.

P.S it's too late the Pashtuns are now kill or be killed in this war and there is no way to go back to repair the damage they done themselves. Good going.

Well the incidents and events of post 2012 were going to sink in. The Taliban resurgence and rise of ISIS has created an air of demoralization which coupled with the depressing state Afghanistan finds itself in was always going to prompt such a statement.

Leaders are reflection of society and if the people have no hope then leaders too would be hopeless.

Look at the current state. Afghanistan continuously has seen civilian and military casualties with constant desertions and selling of military equipment to insurgents. The Taliban are spreading and spreading.

Their presence in the outskirts of many districts has risen and are difficult to detach and recently in 2017 Kabul has seen daily bombings with constant attacks on sensitive areas.

On top of it all the limits of govt have come to action with noor refusing an executive order and the " general" of Kandahar backing him and on top of it all the rifts in the NUG govt are rising.

Plus the parliament is constantly berating the govt as to why fencing of Durand border is being allowed and ghani is facing foreign and internal pressure on this issue.

At this point even ghani knows that US is the only glue that is holding together Afghanistan govt and that glue is getting tired of this long conflict and the trillion dollars wasted.

I think this realism is creeping out and as days go by ghani is becoming more and more miserable and hopeless. His body language tells it.

The Afghan society is so divided on every level that its almost impossible to keep together without a strong federal power.

Although the Taliban were the only ones after king zahir shah to somehow unite majority of Afghanistan yet considering the divisions in Afghanistan I don't think the Taliban would have lasted long without massive internal divisions and civil war.

At this point a very powerful and strong center is required to control the warlords and the ethnic frictions and that is just looking impossible.

Well the incidents and events of post 2012 were going to sink in. The Taliban resurgence and rise of ISIS has created an air of demoralization which coupled with the depressing state Afghanistan finds itself in was always going to prompt such a statement.

Leaders are reflection of society and if the people have no hope then leaders too would be hopeless.

Look at the current state. Afghanistan continuously has seen civilian and military casualties with constant desertions and selling of military equipment to insurgents. The Taliban are spreading and spreading.

Their presence in the outskirts of many districts has risen and are difficult to detach and recently in 2017 Kabul has seen daily bombings with constant attacks on sensitive areas.

On top of it all the limits of govt have come to action with noor refusing an executive order and the " general" of Kandahar backing him and on top of it all the rifts in the NUG govt are rising.

Plus the parliament is constantly berating the govt as to why fencing of Durand border is being allowed and ghani is facing foreign and internal pressure on this issue.

At this point even ghani knows that US is the only glue that is holding together Afghanistan govt and that glue is getting tired of this long conflict and the trillion dollars wasted.

I think this realism is creeping out and as days go by ghani is becoming more and more miserable and hopeless. His body language tells it.

The Afghan society is so divided on every level that its almost impossible to keep together without a strong federal power.

Although the Taliban were the only ones after king zahir shah to somehow unite majority of Afghanistan yet considering the divisions in Afghanistan I don't think the Taliban would have lasted long without massive internal divisions and civil war.

At this point a very powerful and strong center is required to control the warlords and the ethnic frictions and that is just looking impossible.

Like most countries, Afghanistan was dealt a very bad set of cards -- I think the key is to understand what cards you have been dealt and how to do the best with what you have.

They have fortified Kabul into a fiefdom.
Wasn't Kabul always a fiefdom?

This isn't surprising at all, I'd urge all to read what happened to the Democratic Republic of Afghanistan (pro-Soviet regime) and its security forces 1989 onward after the Soviets withdrew, they already were in a fragile state and most of the country was not controlled by them. Najibullah many times tried to stop any Soviet withdrawal, but they did eventually.

Early on the DRA government had some successes in defending itself in places like Jalalabad, but their luck eventually ran out. They were summarily defeated in Khost and the Soviet backing almost ended, their army lost its will to fight and they suffered mass desertions. Even before the Soviet withdrawal the DRA's army suffered tens of thousands of desertions per year, afterwards it crumbled all together.

I don't think it will be as bad for the current Kabul regime but they know just how fragile their existence is and how unsustainable their position is. Luckily for them, the US seems happy to continue this war for the foreseeable future, and it is certainly not in as bad of a position as the Soviet Union was, it can continue to support the Kabul Regime.
US will only leave Afghanistan if the USA disintegrates (and that ain't gonna happen for a long time unless of course all out nuclear war happens), the Kabul regime knows this and that is why as you say they will survive and allow NATO to carry on her devilish mission in the region.

Videos here

But Ghani does say that he and his supporters have the resolve for generations to come to fight on

Back
Top Bottom