What's new

V K Singh’s ban on Suhag premeditated, illegal: Govt tells SC

Did you bother to read the article?

What the article states:
The military intelligence unit set up by former army chief General VK Singh was involved in sensitive covert operations in Pakistan and was even on the trail of 26/11 mastermind and Lashkar-e-Taiba chief Hafiz Saeed, officials associated with it have told HT.

Pursuing terrorists is not terrorism. Now provide me a source (other than that Pakistani rag) saying VKS conducted terrorism in Pak, or apologize like a decent human being.

Why do you dislike Sunderji and Vaidya?

Dislike?

Who am I to like or dislike the decisions of the greater brethren? The Lord giveth, and the Lord taketh away. Blessed be the name of the Lord.

But Sunderji was the bad counsel in the case of Sri Lanka, as well as having confused the Army out of its mind with his reorganisations. It was Sunderji who had stupidly belligerent advice to give during Blue Star.

And Vaidya actually delivered that advice.

Blaming Thapar....I dont know... I blame Nehru personally..Army can be of little effect if the civilian government is incompetent..I dont think even Manekshaw could have pulled out a victory had there not been Indira Gandhi supporting him.Your thoughts ?

He didn't stand up to Nehru. Timmy Thimmaiah resigned; why didn't Thapar?

He didn't stand up to Nehru. Timmy Thimmaiah resigned; why didn't Thapar?
Someone had to take charge after Thimmaiah, right?Thimmaiah did not run away, he had simply quit, because he was unable to do his duty.And he was right to do so.But it would had been unbecoming of a soldier if Thapar had done the same.

Now it is clear that Thimmaiah was right in his threat perception.But the people in power in the civilian govt were the same when Thapar took charge, the same politicians who had forced Thimmaiah to quit. Thapar, in my opinion, had the best intentions in his mind.But I think even he was bogged down as well, by a govt that felt more threatened by its own COAS than the real external threat.And yes, that eventually forced Thapar to quit too.

Someone had to take charge after Thimmaiah, right?Thimmaiah did not run away, he had simply quit, because he was unable to do his duty.And he was right to do so.But it would had been unbecoming of a soldier if Thapar had done the same.

Now it is clear that Thimmaiah was right in his threat perception.But the people in power in the civilian govt were the same when Thapar took charge, the same politicians who had forced Thimmaiah to quit. Thapar, in my opinion, had the best inteintions in his mind.But I think even he was bogged down as well, by a govt that felt more threatened by its own COAS than the real external threat.And yes, that eventually forced Thapar to quit too.

Thapar quit long after Nehru imposed B. M. Kaul on the Army. He should have quit when that first stupid move had been made.

VK Singh was playing to some sort of agenda, god knows what that was but let's hope this is all done and dusted now he has a ministerial position.

Thapar quit long after Nehru imposed B. M. Kaul on the Army. He should have quit when that first stupid move had been made.
Intriguing...I wish we had a better platform to talk about stuffs.

Update:

Union Defence Minister Arun Jaitley has sought an explanation from senior officials in his ministry on how passages imputing motives to former Army Chief – and now MoS for the north east, external affairs and overseas affairs – V K Singh were part of an affidavit filed in the Supreme Court on June 4, shortly after the BJP-led NDA government assumed office.

The Congress, meanwhile, seized on the embarrassing contents of the affidavit and demanded General V K Singh’s resignation from the union council of ministers, saying the NDA government's affidavit on the issue of Lt Gen Dalbir Singh Suhag's promotion to the post of Army Chief was an expression of "no confidence" in him.

``The minister cannot remain in the council of ministers,” Congress spokesperson Abhishek Singhvi told journalists, adding, “It's a matter of detail whether he is removed or he resigns.”

Indeed, the fact that the affidavit filed by the defence ministry has indicted General Singh for violating the principles of natural justice and resorting to “unjust” means to clamp a disciplinary and vigilance ban on General Suhag has come as a major embarrassment for the Modi government.

While senior BJP sources said that since General Suhag was already Army Chief-designate when the Modi government took over, it did not wish to undermine his position as that would demoralise the army, it now appears that when the affidavit was filed in response to an appeal filed in the Supreme Court by Lt. General Ravi Dastane against an order passed by the Armed Forces Tribunal on September 6, 2013, clearing General Suhag of the charges made by General V K Singh, the defence ministry had not just gone with the line of the previous UPA government, but used very harsh language against him.

The affidavit accuses General V K Singh of taking an “illegal, premeditated” course to stall the promotion of Chief-designate Lt. General Dalbir Singh Suhag, as Army Commander of Eastern Command in 2012 ( something that would put him in line for Army Chief) by citing “certain lapses in the chain of command” concerning an intelligence operation in Dimapur.

The affidavit also says that General V K Singh had directed administrative action against General Suhag even though a Court of Inquiry proceedings found no “lapse or blame” on the latter's part. The affidavit repeatedly said that General Suhag was on annual leave and not in Dimapur at the time of the incident.

The ministry highlights the fact that General Suhag was given only seven days' time to show cause against the ban imposed on May 19, 2012, shortly after the Defence Minister independently approved General Suhag's name as Army Commander and forwarded the proposal to the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet.

It was finally left to General Bikram Singh, the current army Chief, to lift the ban in June 2012, merely a week after he took over from General V.K. Singh.

Closing the inquiry on June 7, 2012, the affidavit revealed how the ban and issue of show cause notice was “without merit, illegal, pre-meditated and against the principles of natural justice, and hence closed after consideration of case by the new COAS (Chief of Army Staff), who succeeded Gen. V.K. Singh”.

When General V.K. Singh’s spokesperson was contacted, he said that that as a MoS he is “out of the picture” as far as defence matters are concerned and would prefer to talk about issues concerning only his ministry portfolios.

This development is part of an appeal filed by Lt. General Ravi Dastane against an order passed by the Armed Forces Tribunal on September 6, 2013, dismissing his claims that the Army Chief had shown “undue hurry” to close the case against General Suhag due to favouritism.

The appeal is scheduled for hearing in September later this year before the Supreme Court, posing the problem whether it would become infructuous once General Suhag takes over as Army Chief on July 31.

Jaitley seeks explanation on affidavit, Congress asks for Gen Singh's resignation - The Hindu

Thapar - He was asked do an impossible. Nehru paid the price for his one of the worst decision with his life. We can not blame Nehru for not fully able to grasp the need of a strong military. India was grappling with much bigger issues then and he was may be wrongly advised for the forward policy.

Vaidya - He was a fine officer. I do not see any blot on him.

Sundarji - IPKF might not be a grand success, but nevertheless it was an affirmation of India as a major player in our region to maintain peace and security. The USA is a super power, we can see how successful they are in Afganistan and were in Vietnama.

He is terrorist BJP should take resign from him has state minister for defense because it will create tension with new COAS....
V.K Singh also admitted he did terror operation in Pakistan.....
Choro ko saare nazar aate hain chor ;)

This man is a disgrace. I do not doubt the IE report about the possible coup planned by this man during his SELFISH fight to change his DOB. He never fought so vigorously against corruption or One Rank One Pension Policy for his Jawans!!!

janon : 5778354 said:
Did you bother to read the article?

What the article states:

Pursuing terrorists is not terrorism. Now provide me a source (other than that Pakistani rag) saying VKS conducted terrorism in Pak, or apologize like a decent human being.

Ok.... If Pakistan thinks that indian army is doing terrorism through Afghanistan does it allow us to do same with covert operation....

Choro ko saare nazar aate hain chor ;)

V.K.Singh or Fahad Bhai Bhai....:p:

This man is a disgrace. I do not doubt the IE report about the possible coup planned by this man during his SELFISH fight to change his DOB. He never fought so vigorously against corruption or One Rank One Pension Policy for his Jawans!!!

Agree

VK Singh was playing to some sort of agenda, god knows what that was but let's hope this is all done and dusted now he has a ministerial position.

the next-in-line for appointment as chief is the Southern Army Commander, Lt Gen Ashok Singh, who is related to V.K. Singh through marriage. V.K. Singh's daughter is married to Ashok Singh's son.

V.K. Singh makes final bid to derail Army succession

VK Singh's every step - be it the court case of his age or be his case against Suhag were motivated to make Ashok Singh the next army chief. That is the reason he was not made MOS in DM. Modi should immediately remove this guy from ministry. PERIOD.

Back
Top Bottom