What's new

Uttar Pradesh cancels Eid Milad-un-Nabi, Jummat-ul-Wida holidays, along with 15 others

HAIDER

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
The Indian state of Uttar Pradesh's (UP) Bharatiya Janta Party (BJP) led government has announced an end to holidays for Eid Milad-un-Nabi, Jummat-ul-Wida, and 15 other public holidays, BBC Urdu reported.

The announcement was made on Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath's Twitter account on Tuesday.

Besides the aforementioned holidays, days off to celebrate the birth of Khwaja Moinuddin Chishti, Chandar Shekhar, and Chaudhry Charan Singh have also been ended.

"On the birthdays of great personalities, educational institutes should organize assemblies of at least an hour long informing students of their personality, achievements and motivational teachings," the Chief Minister's office declared in a series of tweets.

It is important to note that CM Yogi Adityanath had previously hinted at abolishing holidays for celebrating the birthdays of personalities.

"If the purpose of these holidays is to remember the great personalities and to motivate people, then why don't we open schools for two hours on such occasions and inform the kids who these great people are?", he questioned an audience while speaking at an event to celebrate the birthday of the Indian constitution's architect.

A great majority of the holidays canceled by Yogi Adityanath's government were implemented by the former Akhilesh Yadav government.

Currently, there are 42 public holidays in UP, out of which 17 celebrate the birthdays of notable personalities.

Public holidays should be bare minimum, only national days should be public holiday all other religious holidays of any religion must be curtailed to bare minimum in whole of India

One thing I do know is that they have to stop declaring dry day at teh drop of a hat. Makes life difficult for everyone!:lol:

Many states now are after whiskey timings. i heard in Uttrakhand they will sell wine only from 3pm to 6 pm

Good,compared to other countries we have too many holidays

Many states now are after whiskey timings. i heard in Uttrakhand they will sell wine only from 3pm to 6 pm

Yeh sab karke inko kya milta hai? If you want to declare dry state that is another thing altogether. But allowing sale, making people invest in businesses and employ people, and then restrict so severely violates right to livelihood.

They can mount a successful challenge in Supreme Court, provided they don't hire Kapil Sibal and hire Ram Jethmalani instead!

Yeh sab karke inko kya milta hai? If you want to declare dry state that is another thing altogether. But allowing sale, making people invest in businesses and employ people, and then restrict so severely violates right to livelihood.

They can mount a successful challenge in Supreme Court, provided they don't hire Kapil Sibal and hire Ram Jethmalani instead!

yes lots of intruding in personal life of people is happening

There was some news recently of amending the laws in Delhi so there are fewer "dry days", it's absolutely ridiculous, give people the day off, and they can't drink.

Election polling and around result days, special rules like shops close at 5 in the evening the days preceding them etc, crazy. Thank god for Gurugram :rolleyes: for dilli walas.

Yeah I don't know what to do with my life on holidays. Alcohol gives it meaning and purpose.

But seriously it is a shame that Delhiites have to go all the way to Gurgaon. There should be a special law protecting our right to drink.

Back
Top Bottom