What's new

USA is finally out of Afghanistan

"...particularly dangerous phase". You can sense something bad that might happen, such as one of these last flights out gets shot down. ISIS seems hellbent to do inflict damage on Americans as the window of opportunity is shrinking.
I certainly hope there is a peaceful exit. The Taliban have put in enormous effort in last some months to minimize harms to the departing Americans and now only hours remain to wrap it up. A catastrophe at this stage might just make the American public opinion to never entertain any involvements in Afghanistan going forward except to bomb from a distance!

A catastrophe at this stage might just make the American public opinion to never entertain any involvements in Afghanistan going forward except to bomb from a distance!

A catastrophe is not needed for that policy, which is likely anyway already.

The Pentagon briefing has now finished. Spokesman John Kirby fielded several questions on the timings for ending evacuations, but often refused to comment.

He would not say when exactly on 31 August airlifts would end - or if the US would co-ordinate with Taliban about future drone strikes against Islamic State.

"The president has made it very clear that we will maintain robust over-the-horizon counter-terrorism capabilities - the kind of capabilities you have seen us use over the last 24, 36 hours," said Kirby.

"I don't think it's helpful for us to talk about what over-the-horizon counter-terrorism capabilities will look like going forward, and how we're going to execute it," he added.

Kirby said the US was speaking with Taliban leaders to "deconflict" and prevent misunderstandings during current operations.

In a statement released by the US State Department, the group said: "We will draw on all elements of national power — military, intelligence, diplomatic, economic, law enforcement — to ensure the defeat of this brutal terrorist organization", adding that it would also "identify and bring their members to justice".

IS-K said it was behind an attempted rocket attack on Kabul airport on Monday, which America's anti-missile system intercepted.

The US military has said it is investigating reports that its drone strike on Sunday - which it says targeted a vehicle carrying at least one person associated with IS-K - killed civilians.

The civilians who were killed were 10 members of one family including six children, surviving relatives have told

A catastrophe is not needed for that policy, which is likely anyway already.

So you are of the opinion that Americans wont even bother with working with regional players to keep Afghanistan from going out of hand?

Speaking of regional players, since Feb. 2020, when Trump brought the Taliban to the negotiating table without first involving the Ghani govt, it had become clear that the Forever War was indeed ending as far as American physical presence was and so the regional players have been discussing various strategies, in various meetings, and through various teams. It will be interesting to see what they came up with, as it will be interesting to see what Americans are actually going to do once the evacuation is done. Just a few more days left to see the broad contours of those strategies!

So you are of the opinion that Americans wont even bother with working with regional players to keep Afghanistan from going out of hand?

I think that there will be varying levels of engagement with regional players as needed by whatever continues to evolve in the region.

What would "going out of hand" look like given what we are already seeing?

After 20 years, USA, UK, NATO faced huge humiliating defeat at the hands of Muslims as it should be remembered. Will be remembered forever...for sure.
When it suits you guys, you call the Afghandoos and how they should leave Pakistan. But when it suits you then you call them 'Muslims'?

Wtf?

This shooo thingy you did is EPIC at so many levels BTW if he is a gora and NOT desi he will not get the “true meaning” of it … :D
Thank you. I am almost complete with my B.A. Honours Political Science Degree. It complements my Legal Secretary Diploma.

I changed my Majors twice so I am a little older than most students.

Soon I will work for a fee for a lawyer. Political Science complements Legal studies.

Probably gambit is a gora.

Correct.
$85 were spent on 'security' related matters: Training, equipment, contractor fees over TWENTY years. Some of which got destroyed in the conflict. Or had expired. Or gone bad. Also, a bulk was NOT on purchasing equipment bur for services. These wars are a big business in America!! BIG BUSINESS! Various security companies provide 'services' and 'personnel' at exorbitantly high prices and the money mostly ends back in America either to the weapon manuf. or to the security companies. Eventually into the politicians. It's 'jobs' and 'economic activity' in different Congressmen/Senators constituencies. I live in the American South and I kid you not it seems like every 3 or 4 household has a 'veteran' living off taxpayers money without ever even been remotely near the 'combat'. I knew a very close friend in US Navy. Never ever remotely saw any conflict or saw any 'danger'. Was deployed all over the world in cushy office jobs. And retired as a 'veteran' with a chunk of 'benefits'. She is still a very dear friend to me. One day, on my deathbed, I may narrate her story keeping her anonymity. Just follow the money and you will arrive at the right place. But I digress!

So... as for the equipment the Taliban have. I don't think even $10 billion at max. A lot of valuables were already taken out or destroyed when Americans started to leave. Then a chunk ended up in Uzbekistan when the northern front melted away. Per my understanding, Americans didn't trust the Afghan National Army much and so not a lot was left with them as Americans were leaving. Contrast to that, the Soviets left behind tanks, heavy artillery, substantial air assets---and that's partly why Najibullah govt last 3 years after the Soviet withdrawal.
Great post.

Pakistan Strategic Forum
@ForumStrategic

·
30m

Update on Kabul International Airport US will completely withdraw from Kabul International Airport tonight. IEA forces are now entering KIA to take charge. End of US occupation is on its way....
FB_IMG_1630260973767.jpg
since no one has shared this here.....
United States Marine Corps evaluating Shehzore Dala for possible induction at Islamabad airport

I think that there will be varying levels of engagement with regional players as needed by whatever continues to evolve in the region.

What would "going out of hand" look like given what we are already seeing?

I tend to think there will be largely non-conflicting, if not cooperative, involvements by regional players. This time it is really in everyone's interests to have some quiet in Afghanistan. We will see on that soon!

The situation has been bad in Afghanistan but there have some been functioning places, at least in the cities, and some semblance of 'normal life', thanks to whatever little bit trickled down to the Afghans. If the 90s warlordism comes back, if the regional players prop up their militias then people might wish for the American occupation again!

But I don't think Taliban would tolerate ISIS-K in Afghanistan, which is a great thing.

PS. This thread is about the final days of NATO in Afghanistan. Would be great to keep getting updates on that!

So, the arrogant Superpower has been defeated.
Ha, We all lived long enough to see this.

It will be good to see peace and prosperity in Muslim lands. I think we deserve it now.
Peace and Prosperity in Afghanistan.. we will see that also in next decade...

Blinken at 2:30 PM ET coming up. Lets see who is going to confirm when the final flight has left: Blinken, Biden, or Kirby. I have a feeling the final flight would leave in darkness so maybe tonight? Tomorrow night would be beyond the 31 Aug. date. Kirby said in the video I shared above that 'assets' are already in place to try to neutralize rockets on planes.

AfghanEye streaming at 3:00 PM ET coming up.

Back
Top Bottom