What's new

US warship in Goa for strategies & fun

RPK

Reaction score
Country
India
US warship in Goa for strategies & fun - The Times of India

MORMUGAO: Close to 800 personnel from the US armed forces are looking forward to a week of sun, surf and sand with a touch of Goan hospitality, as US navy ship, the USS Harpers Ferry has dropped anchor at the Mormugao Port Trust (MPT) on a 'friendship visit' to India.

The US officers will join their Indian counterparts in a four-day 'tabletop' training exercise to be held onboard the warship, where they will exchange expertise and discuss tactics to manage fictional scenarios, mostly involving amphibious operations. But it will not be all work; the marines are also raring to play some cricket and football with their colleagues from the Indian Navy. The massive 609ft-long vessel is docked at MPT's breakwater berth, built especially for yachts and cruises. The ship can accommodate 504 troops apart from a crew of nearly 400, and is carrying dozens of US army tanks, trucks, bulldozers and heavy-duty weaponry.

Addressing the press on Monday, Christine Lawson, information commissioner at the US consulate, Mumbai, said the relationship between USA and India was going from strength to strength, a fact reiterated by US President Barack Obama and Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's recent meeting in Washington.

The ship's captain, Commander Stephen Ilteris said, "We are excited about linking up with the Indian armed forces. We will be taking them on a tour of the ship and showing off our capability. During the training exercise, we will take up various fictitious scenarios that the armed forces could face, and discuss strategies and on-field tactics that will empower decision-making and promote best practices."

Taking a walk through the cavernous insides of the warship, the officers proudly displayed their big guns-literally. An assortment of chunky weapons, sophisticated surveillance robots, a fleet of amphibious tanks, an innocuous-looking machine that "shoots out shells as big as footballs, wreaking some serious damage in a 300m-radius"-the words of the young marine manning the weapon... the vessel looked fully equipped to go to war, rather than the peaceful training and tourism exercises that it will embark upon across the world over the next seven months.

The warship also boasts of a swanky medical unit, fitted out with all essential diagnostic and surgical equipment to perform minor operations and dental work. "This is the first international port of call since we started out from San Diego in August. Most of our marines have never been to India, and are thrilled to have an opportunity to soak in some Indian food and culture," said Lt Col George Markert, the highly-decorated commanding officer of the battalion of marines on board. Unlike Indian naval ships, the USS Harpers Ferry is fully integrated, with 30% of the deployed sailors and officers women.

Port calls sure are fun. :) I love how navy personnel get to see the whole world (almost), and that too with friendly protocol.

What I am stating is fact. India has abandoned old allies for new ,but unreliable one like USA.

What I am stating is also a fact, Its just a training exercise; such sorts of joint exercises are common for both the sides, its is not the first time that India is hosting such joint exercises with the US.... So does the logic here says that holding joint exercises with other nations of the world and that too a friendly one means "abandoning" the old allies?????

India has been conducting such exercises with many nations in the past and will continue to do so in the future may it be INDRA or the Yudha Abhyas....

I heard some wild stories when USS Nimitz docked in chennai........ But this time they gonna love it.... Its Goa.....

Since we are going to procure 4 LPDs in near future,navy should look at wht kind of equiments we needed!

It will give us good opportunity for navy officers to introduce new amphibious capability with modern equi...

I guess then that Indian ships visiting Chinese ports is equivalent to India siding with China and backstabbing its new found (albeit allegedly unreliable) "ally", right? :ashamed: Poor me, my intellect can barely grapple with such intricacies.:cry: So, how many backsides have we kissed so far?:hang2:

India is already an slave to USA and wahabbis. Thats clear from its behavior .

India sides with Wahabbis and decides to protect them via defence pact :

Aren't the wahabbis the reason muslims are rioting in india? Wahabbis are sponsoring terror in Kashmir. So why India is protecting wahabbis?

There is no independent foreign policy of India. India is just a stooge of USA and Wahabbis now. Remove congress by any means or mark my words,India is in for trouble.

So,Anyone not consigning to your Russo-centric world order is a slave. Care elaborate on this point so that it could be countered as blanket statements are difficult to counter.

And let me make some points clear

First your blaming of wahabbis for terrorism is misplaced and guided by a sense to re-categorize yourself as different from muslims is general .This is a commonly observed phenomenon of social categorization. Social Identity Theory - Simply Psychology

TO burst your bubble of Sufis being superior to so called wahabis, let me point out that most of chechen terrorists are sufis + Muslim brotherhood was formed by Sufi's Sufism Spawned The Muslim Brotherhood - WikiIslam.

Second: It is Qatar which has asked for protection from India, not other way round. India would provide that protection, if it is in our interest to do that. Their being wahabbi or kabbabi does not matter. Last thing i want is India embarking on some kind of civilizational mission in middle east.Get this thing drilled in your mind.

You are supporting Russia because you have an agenda.

Ah ha, that explains your obsession with mass extermination.......:)

Me has edited me post, went overboard and made silly error. :ashamed:

Yes! I is going to exterminate all, start with the lungis, deal with the Brahmins and end with the Scientologists!:chilli:

Yes! I is going to exterminate all, start with the lungis, deal with the Brahmins and end with the Scientologists!:chilli:

please start with mafia family,since u r from delhi! :angry:
~
Common guys move on.
~
Did anyone bother abt 30% women US naval crews? :lol:
I hope they bring suncream. Hot here! :lol:

Well done India... I sincerely hopr ur co-operation grows further and deeper... afterall someone has to pay for R&D of USA weapons development..... Best of luck

Lots of engagements with US in defense areas is good for Indian forces

Back
Top Bottom