What's new

US troops may stay in Afghanistan until 2024

And also China? Looking at the present situation and Afghaniztan's geographical location, Pakistan and even China can also be closely monitored from Afghanistan.

Pakistan is still technically a US ally, albeit a troubled one!

As far as terrorists go, the Americans can just go in, and wipe them out. It'd be like morning coffee for those guys.

Afghanistan has many cultural and historical links with Iran. It's Iranian influence in the region that the Americans are afraid of. Iranian influence in Afghanistan would jeopardize US interests in Asia, even though Iran is a staunch opponent of the Taliban.

And, there is also the drug trade. Ironically, Afghanistan happens to be the world's largest exporter of heroin. I believe the key to addressing this problem is enabling Afghans to grow substitute crops both for themselves, the population and the world. There are many NGOs out there to help. That's how the Thais did it. Thailand was once a big exporter of heroin. Now, they are the world's largest exporter of rice :tup:

Sadly, I am not seeing the commitment there, even with the Americans being around. I sense something fishy about the whole occupation business.

And of-course, Afghanistan is rich in minerals. Blood for Blackberries! :D

---------- Post added at 12:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 AM ----------

Don't worry about US getting Bankrupt....They are not fools...There are billions worth of minerals in Afghanistan but the people there doesn't have the tech nor investment to dig it out.... US can import minerals from there or do wat they want...
So forget bankruptancy

Do you seriously think that's gonna make any difference as far as addressing America's debt problem goes?

It means northern alliance will rule Afghanistan for another 10years and indans will continue getting construction contracts of construction contracts worth billions but nothing on ground.

Most of above.. Pakistan will continue to face the menace of TTP for all those years.

Try to read a bit before opening your mouth, the so called NA which basically dont exist anymore are not ruling the country, they are in oppostion. And do you know that the NA and TTP are each others' worst enemy? before 2001, the TTP used to send hundreds and even thousands of fighters to fight in Afghanistan, hundreds of them were killed nad captured.

What I'm surprised about (actually I'm not) is that only British & other media outlets are reporting this, but none of the mainstream US ones... surprise surprise!

Afghanistan is a gold mine for the US and don't expect them to let go of it anytime soon. Afghanistan gives them direct access to all the important players in Southeast Asia - China, Pakistan, India. And ofcourse, they get to camp right beside Iran. They can easily threaten the major players at will or offer carrots if need be.

They would rather die in droves but won't give up Afghanistan.

Afghanistan is a gold mine for the US and don't expect them to let go of it anytime soon. Afghanistan gives them direct access to all the important players in Southeast Asia - China, Pakistan, India. And ofcourse, they get to camp right beside Iran. They can easily threaten the major players at will or offer carrots if need be.

They would rather die in droves but won't give up Afghanistan.

Can't have been that important as the Americans left after the 1st war and never returned till after 9/11 or did they just come to realise how important afganistan is?

no surprise,everyone knows, they haven't invested 100's billions of dollars.They keep there presence as they have in Middle East

Can't have been that important as the Americans left after the 1st war and never returned till after 9/11 or did they just come to realise how important afganistan is?

The first war? :confused: The first time Americans went into Afghanistan in force with the aim of occupation was After 9/11. Before that was indirect aid to the Mujhaheedin against the soviets. What are you talking about mate?

The first war? :confused: The first time Americans went into Afghanistan in force with the aim of occupation was After 9/11. Before that was indirect aid to the Mujhaheedin against the soviets. What are you talking about mate?

What are you talking about? im speaking about the 1st afghan conflict where America supplied stinger missiles to the Mujhaheedin with funds and once their mission was complete they abandoned Afganistan with poor Pakistan picking up the pieces with millions of refugees and now a militant jihadi mentality at it's doorstep.

I suggest you read or watch Charlie Wilson's war to see how America left Afghanistan when they knew the fundies were going to take over but they could not care less because Afghanistan never mattered it was not part of US interest to stay and spend $$ on it.

Only after 9/11 America launched the war on terror and step foot in Afganistan otherwise they never would have and still Kabul would be under the Taliban.

What are you talking about? im speaking about the 1st afghan conflict where America supplied stinger missiles to the Mujhaheedin with funds and once their mission was complete they abandoned Afganistan with poor Pakistan picking up the pieces with millions of refugees and now a militant jihadi mentality at it's doorstep.

I suggest you read or watch Charlie Wilson's war to see how America left Afghanistan when they knew the fundies were going to take over but they could not care less because Afghanistan never mattered it was not part of US interest to stay and spend $$ on it.

Only after 9/11 America launched the war on terror and step foot in Afganistan otherwise they never would have and still Kabul would be under the Taliban.

The first time Americans went into Afghanistan in force with the aim of occupation was After 9/11. Before that was indirect aid to the Mujhaheedin against the soviets.

Please read what I wrote. Its funny you are even comparing US aid to the Mujahadeen with a full blown occupation. How many thousand troops did America have in Afghanistan back then? How many tanks and planes?
More importantly, did Pakistan have nukes back then? Did India? Was China as powerful then as it is now? Was Iran (supposedly) developing nukes and threatening the destruction of the whole wide world?

It amazes me how you fail to comprehend how much things can change (and has) in international politics in a span of twenty years and you go about comparing two utterly different scenarios.

Many analysts also believe the American military would like to retain a presence close to Pakistan, Iran and China.
Exactly! That's precisely America's ballgame! Military presence = area domination.

All this talk of the need to be there for the purpose of training the Afghan army/police is a smokescreen. Do we have to suffer another decade of American boots on Afghan soil? And that means more drone strikes in Pakistan with the resultant collateral damage - more innocent men, women, and children in the line of fire! Damn! :tdown:

The first time Americans went into Afghanistan in force with the aim of occupation was After 9/11. Before that was indirect aid to the Mujhaheedin against the soviets.

Please read what I wrote. Its funny you are even comparing US aid to the Mujahadeen with a full blown occupation. How many thousand troops did America have in Afghanistan back then? How many tanks and planes?
More importantly, did Pakistan have nukes back then? Did India? Was China as powerful then as it is now? Was Iran (supposedly) developing nukes and threatening the destruction of the whole wide world?

It amazes me how you fail to comprehend how much things can change (and has) in international politics in a span of twenty years and you go about comparing two utterly different scenarios.

America abandoned Afghanistan after the soviet war it was not important to them and only became so after 9/11 thats the point im making and not what you said earlier.

BTW you have distorted views, America never went into Afghanistan to occupy it but to fight the war on terror and al qaeda who were being shelterd by the barbaric Taliban.

Aren't americans are allready in hell of trouble why the hell they want to increase it.
anyways 2024 or 2050 don't matter to me untill India stays away from this drama.

Aren't americans are allready in hell of trouble why the hell they want to increase it.
anyways 2024 or 2050 don't matter to me untill India stays away from this drama.
Forget it! As long as the Americans are there, the Indians will be there! And that means till the cows come home, which translates to 'never'!

Cheers! :smokin:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom