What's new

US threatens Turkey with sanctions if they purchase Russian anti-aircraft missile systems

The SC

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Canada
s400-1.jpg

The United States has urged Turkey to abandon the purchase of the S-400 anti-aircraft missile system from Russia, warning Ankara of the consequences of its decision, Haberturk reported citing a source in Washington.

According to the Turkish newspaper, an unnamed American official expressed his concerns over Ankara’s purchase of Russian surface-to-air missile systems, explaining that they could “negatively influence the interoperability of NATO” and assuming that Washington could impose sanctions in response to the recently adopted law.

The U.S. is seeking cooperation with Turkey to boost Turkish air defense capabilities as an alternative to Ankara’s purchase of Russian S-400 surface-to-air missile batteries.

“The U.S. understands Turkey’s desire to improve its air defenses. But we are concerned and have said so publicly about potential acquisition of Russian S-400 missiles, which would have implications for NATO interoperability and which would potentially expose Turkey to sanctions due to the new sanctions law recently passed by Congress,” a U.S. administration official told the Hürriyet Daily News.

The S-400 Triumph (NATO reporting name: SA-21 Growler) is an air defence missile system developed by Almaz Central Design Bureau of Russia. The new system replaced the S-300P and S-200 air defence systems of the Russian Army.

http://uawire.org/the-united-states-promised-turkey-sanctions-if-they-purchase-s-400-s-from-russia

Russia Sanctions under CAATSA – U.S. Updates Rules and Provides Guidance on Enforcement

https://www.globaltradeandsanctions...anctions-caatsa-updates-guidance-enforcement/

If turkey so wanted russian systems then they should not have joined nato in first place.

Now under nato policy it is possible to place turkey under sanctions for buying russian system that could disturb the nato balance.

If turkey so wanted russian systems then they should not have joined nato in first place.

Now under nato policy it is possible to place turkey under sanctions for buying russian system that could disturb the nato balance.
It's not first time that A NATO country is Buying Russian weapons
Greeks had bought a bunch of Russian S-300PMU1 , APCs , ATGMs etc.
So why Turkey Can't ??????

Turkey should threaten to exit Nato .
Turkey should stay in there and bargain.

Cry a river indian.. but Turkey won't leave NATO. Turkey has a place in NATO and it would use it to its advantage not exit and be a bystander.

Last edited:
Two years back turkey had downed russian jet so are russians confident about selling this system which can be sued to target their jets?

Turkeys decision to target ruskie plane was not wrong but from past hostilities perspective i find it surprising that russains okayed the sale.

Turkey should stay in there and bargain.

Cry a river indian.. but Turkey won't leave NATO. Turkey has a place in NATO and it would use it to its advantage not exit and be a bystander.
Given its puny status i know turkey would need nato and never leave it, neither i am advocating it.
Turkey however should embrace for a shaky ride if its trying to put its another foot into russian ship.

One can have a best of US and Russia only if its a independent power, not under the umbrella of nato.

Turkey has already made the purchase. I think USA means additional purchases.

Two years back turkey had downed russian jet so are russians confident about selling this system which can be sued to target their jets?

Turkeys decision to target ruskie plane was not wrong but from past hostilities perspective i find it surprising that russains okayed the sale.
I know right? This is impossible to be understood by foreigners that doesn't know Turkish politics in last 4 decades.

As a summary; AKP and Erdoğan were puppets of religious terrorist Mullah called Fethollah Gülen, which is located in US, being funded and operated by CIA, until 15 July coup attemp by Fethollah follower terrorists which infiltrated into Army/Police/State institutions with Erdoğan's support. Basicly Erdoğan started to fight against his own master, and Putin didn't miss the chance to spread it's influince all around Turkey.

NATO don't has capable anti-Air defence system capability to sell to Turkey. If USA can offer any thing good TUrkey will buy from USA and if not Turkey will go for S-400 as sheduled in 2019 deliveries.

I know right? This is impossible to be understood by foreigners that doesn't know Turkish politics in last 4 decades.

As a summary; AKP and Erdoğan were puppets of religious terrorist Mullah called Fethollan Gülen, which is located in US, being funded and operated by CIA, until 15 July coup attemp by Fethollah follower terrorists which infiltrated into Army/Police/State institutions with Erdoğan's support. Basicly Erdoğan started to fight against his own master, and Putin didn't miss the chance to spread it's influince all around Turkey.

USA and EU countries wanted to control Turkey because they wanted a leader of their choice and want to act in Syria as they wished but the USA plan failed and there was no coup. Sanctions or not Turkey should buy S-400 because I think to Turkey the biggest threat is NATO.

Given its puny status i know turkey would need nato and never leave it, neither i am advocating it.
Turkey however should embrace for a shaky ride if its trying to put its another foot into russian ship.

Don't worry about Turks, wait let me guess another country that has one foot in US boat and the other in Russian boat... :meeting:

Don't worry about Turks, wait let me guess another country that has one foot in US boat and the other in Russian boat... :meeting:
You guessed it right, and that country is not under a nato umbrella, and historically has been a flag bearer of non alligned movement which has its own fruits.

Turkey should threaten to exit Nato .
Why threaten? Turkey should leave nato on its own because it no longer a shares the common values with NATO countries.

And if Turkey doesn’t leave on its own accord then its should be thrown out of NATO.

Back
Top Bottom