What's new

US says making progress in aircraft carrier collaboration with India

Tipu7

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

India and the United States are making progress in talks on the joint development of an aircraft carrier for India, the top US navy admiral said on Wednesday, potentially the biggest military collaboration between them.

The two countries agreed to work together on aircraft carrier technology as well as jet engines during US President Barack Obama’s visit to India last year in a strengthening of ties to balance China’s expanding military power in the region.

The visiting chief of US Naval Operations, John Richardson, said the two sides had held talks on a range of issues relating to the next generation Indian carrier from its design to construction.

A high-level US-India joint working group is due to meet in New Delhi later this month, part of a series of meetings aimed at establishing broader cooperation on the design, development and production of the proposed Indian carrier.

“We are making very good progress, I am very pleased with the progress to date and optimistic we can do more in the future. That’s on a very solid track,” Richardson told reporters in New Delhi.

India inducted an old aircraft carrier from Russia in 2014 while an ageing British vessel is set to retire this year. It is building an indigenous carrier that is expected to enter service in 2018-2019.

But the navy also plans a third, its biggest carrier yet, for which it has sought US assistance, especially state-of-the-art technology to launch aircraft.

Richardson said the electromagnetic launch technology that enabled a navy to fly heavier planes from a carrier was part of the discussions with India.

“All of those things are on the table, there are possibilities, its a matter of pacing, it’s very new technology for us,” he said.

China has one aircraft carrier and announced last month it is building another. The Pentagon said in a report last year that China could build multiple aircraft carriers over the next 15 years.

India’s navy, which has long considered the Indian Ocean its area of influence, has been unnerved by Chinese naval forays in the region and its efforts to build port infrastructure in countries stretching from Pakistan to Djibouti on the African coast.

After years of neglect, the Indian government has approved the navy’s plans for a dozen new submarines, six of them nuclear-powered. More than 40 warships are under construction.

http://www.defencenews.in/article/U...ircraft-carrier-collaboration-with-India-2577

USA is not trusted ally, they are mastered in honey trap in case of any future issue with India simply they left them in the middle of no ware and put sanction on them. Big example is Pakistan and the curious case of F-16.
India policy makers are quite seasoned and i believe they never go for that trap.

USA is not trusted ally, they are mastered in honey trap in case of any future issue with India simply they left them in the middle of no ware and put sanction on them. Big example is Pakistan and the curious case of F-16.
India policy makers are quite seasoned and i believe they never go for that trap.

OK thats why India rejected F-16 blk 60 and F-18 sh. Now cool down, take deep breath and chill.

But the navy also plans a third, its biggest carrier yet, for which it has sought US assistance, especially state-of-the-art technology to launch aircraft.

Richardson said the electromagnetic launch technology that enabled a navy to fly heavier planes from a carrier was part of the discussions with India.

@PARIKRAMA Bro I know you have good attraction toward Rafale-M, but I think I will agree with the @MilSpec that F-18/A- Sh would have been better than Rafale because for EMAL India would have too put something on the table.

OK thats why India rejected F-16 blk 60 and F-18 sh. Now cool down, take deep breath and chill.

@PARIKRAMA Bro I know you have good attraction toward Rafale-M, but I think I will agree with the @MilSpec that F-18/A- Sh would have been better than Rafale because for EMAL India would have too put something on the table.
Hi,
I have no love for the F/A 18 SH, as a package I think it's potent, but as a platform I think Rafale M is better. At the end Navy needs to evaluate both platforms, as it's application is different from the IAF. About the F/A18 SH, I have maintained we haven't seen the last of them, Boeing has many tricks in their hat, and they will use all of em. emals, stealth gondola, next gen ashm, all of them are part of there system offers.
Irrespective of that, I would like to see Indian Naval Aviation wing as the second strongest airforce in the Indian Subcontinent.

Think about it, F18s in 2028?
Well if it was 2018.... well and good. 2028?

Hi,
I have no love for the F/A 18 SH, as a package I think it's potent, but as a platform I think Rafale M is better. At the end Navy needs to evaluate both platforms, as it's application is different from the IAF. About the F/A18 SH, I have maintained we haven't seen the last of them, Boeing has many tricks in their hat, and they will use all of em. emals, stealth gondola, next gen ashm, all of them are part of there system offers.
Irrespective of that, I would like to see Indian Naval Aviation wing as the second strongest airforce in the Indian Subcontinent.

Well I am concerned with the EMAL Tech. which would be needed.

Think about it, F18s in 2028?
Well if it was 2018.... well and good. 2028?

Anything what Rafale can provide, F-18 can also give, provided

1. It should be more cheaper
2. Gives strategic ties with US, and India could ask EMAL
3. Comonality of the Engine F-414
4. F-18 Growler, which is developed specifically against S-300.
5. We could learn more about the US weapons properly by becoming user.

1. Don't put the term " INDIA US STRATEGIC TIES". Till now they haven't done anything which proves this usage.
While we haggle with them for 145 M777, they ship hundreds of 155mm SPHs, tracked ones ,towed ones, big amounts of Small weapons, night vision systems , communication systems, bullet proof vests, MRAPs, Missiles, Radars, gunships, fighter jets , naval vessels, Anti Tank missiles, vehicles , all for free. .... till 2015, last year to our neighbour.
Name " one " offensive weapon which they have shipped to India while talking about STRATEGIC ties?
Its like we are paying for pakistani acquisitions indirectly. Also note it down, before we receive our first apache, pakis will be receiving their first super cobra.
So much for a strategic relationship.

2.Commonality of F414? Common buddy.... then going for Rafale will mean commanility too.

3. Cheaper? You are saying an American jet will be cheaper? Buddy, just be sure , it will cost us similar or more than buying Rafales as a package with even less freedom on its usage.

4. Learning US weapons?

I firmly believe it's either or scenario here...
So its either Rafale + Rafale M for both forces or F18 variants most probably ASH over SH I think...

But the bigger issue is if I remember for 18s line or say a mix of 16s+18s (bcz Boeing has always pushed for 16s as a platform superior to our own tejas similar to Gripen but disguising it as alternative to Rafale), Boeing chief talked about a order of around 200 for practical feasibility.

Now true as I said IN has a requirement but having a line for IN for 200 is on a higher side when its standalone for IN only but if its IAF +IN then it works out fine..

I do agree with @MilSpec IN needs to become second strongest AF in South East Asia so whatever they decide I would support.

But I have my own doubts if India, IAF or IN may field front line fighters as of USA now. The EMALs actually is a good way of testing how much willing USA is in reality to share tech without additional stuff and any bindings.. If it works out as per India's wishes then yes in future we will opt for USA stuff in front line roles really....

EMAL definitely will be given to India with fighter or other sale. offcourse, USAN will add SH with deal. But point is how far we can alter this, or how much USAN can relax the deal. Basically, we have to see what kind of inferior product USA will sale to us because EMAL is nowhere in world in operating condition. I said this because IN would hardly compromise on fighers!
We can buy small transport aircraft for carrier use or may be purchase new Stalin heavy duty helicoters, which are under development, or may be both. Or may be we are forced to go with F35!
The game is on. Let us see how far both countries can take prospect.

I firmly believe it's either or scenario here...
So its either Rafale + Rafale M for both forces or F18 variants most probably ASH over SH I think...

But the bigger issue is if I remember for 18s line or say a mix of 16s+18s (bcz Boeing has always pushed for 16s as a platform superior to our own tejas similar to Gripen but disguising it as alternative to Rafale), Boeing chief talked about a order of around 200 for practical feasibility.

Now true as I said IN has a requirement but having a line for IN for 200 is on a higher side when its standalone for IN only but if its IAF +IN then it works out fine..

I do agree with @MilSpec IN needs to become second strongest AF in South East Asia so whatever they decide I would support.

But I have my own doubts if India, IAF or IN may field front line fighters as of USA now. The EMALs actually is a good way of testing how much willing USA is in reality to share tech without additional stuff and any bindings.. If it works out as per India's wishes then yes in future we will opt for USA stuff in front line roles really....

I am not too worried about IN's procurement. Unlike IAF, we are in very competent hands when it comes to the Navy. They have a solid proactive strategic roadmap, whereas IAF doesn't have a dictionary to look up the meaning of those words.

It comes down to cost to benefit ratio. Sure I wan't all the gizmos in the world, but at what cost? I am ok with operating two carriers per CBG if total cost is lower than operating one super carrier. For heavier take off's I don't see anything wrong with Rato/Jato bottles either.

Growler,us army night vision gadgets & b2 spirit all these things are not for sale.

U noe y we r called yindoo Baniyas ! Lol , ek ek paise ka hisaab hoga !

1. Don't put the term " INDIA US STRATEGIC TIES". Till now they haven't done anything which proves this usage.
While we haggle with them for 145 M777, they ship hundreds of 155mm SPHs, tracked ones ,towed ones, big amounts of Small weapons, night vision systems , communication systems, bullet proof vests, MRAPs, Missiles, Radars, gunships, fighter jets , naval vessels, Anti Tank missiles, vehicles , all for free. .... till 2015, last year to our neighbour.
Name " one " offensive weapon which they have shipped to India while talking about STRATEGIC ties?
Its like we are paying for pakistani acquisitions indirectly. Also note it down, before we receive our first apache, pakis will be receiving their first super cobra.
So much for a strategic relationship.

2.Commonality of F414? Common buddy.... then going for Rafale will mean commanility too.

3. Cheaper? You are saying an American jet will be cheaper? Buddy, just be sure , it will cost us similar or more than buying Rafales as a package with even less freedom on its usage.

4. Learning US weapons?
Correct ankit !
We pay billions of $, while out neighbour gets em for free ! Dese damn Americans really noe how to play on paranoia.....
We should stay away from em !

Every Indian is not baniya, even it is a derogatory term.
Who told u its a derogatory term ?
The most intelligent n money wise people r baniyas !

As long as India can rip many benefits Collaboration with usa is not a bad thing.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom