What's new

US sailors will die unless coronavirus-hit aircraft carrier evacuated, captain warns

https://www.postguam.com/news/local/navy-to-quarantine-sailors-in-hotels/article_5d51c176-73e6-11ea-a4d0-7bf7c1c2d16c.html

Navy to quarantine sailors in hotels

Some of the USS Theodore Roosevelt's sailors who will test clear of COVID-19 will be quarantined in unnamed Guam hotels as military officials work to decontaminate the aircraft carrier and separate them from sailors who have fallen ill from the rapidly spreading virus.

During a press conference Wednesday morning, Gov. Lou Leon Guerrero confirmed she agreed, under certain restrictions, to allow sailors off the aircraft carrier and into strictly guarded and monitored hotels off the Navy base because it's the humane thing to do.

“Throughout our response to COVID-19, I promised each of you that I would undertake any action necessary to keep the people of Guam safe. For this reason, I have agreed to allow the restricted housing of sailors who have tested negative for COVID-19,” she said. “In partnership with the Guam Hotel and Restaurant Association, public health officials and representatives of the Navy, only sailors testing negative for COVID-19 will be housed in vacant Guam hotels ... subject to a 14-day quarantine period enforceable under the Uniform Code of Military Justice.”

Adm. John Aquilino, commander of the U.S. Pacific Fleet, spoke with international media during a conference call Wednesday morning prior to the governor’s 1 p.m. press conference.

Aquilino declined to provide an update on the number of sailors who have tested positive. Certain national media outlets have reported there were at least 100 sailors infected with the new coronavirus. The Navy has stopped confirming the breakdown of military personnel with COVID-19 to Guam media since a recent Pentagon memo forbade the release of information that could compromise operational security.

“Thanks for accepting the 'no numbers,' but what I will tell you is I have no sailors in the hospital. I have no sailors on ventilators. I have no sailors in critical condition – no sailors in an (intensive care unit) status on the Theodore Roosevelt,” Aquilino said.

The governor noted that strict quarantine protocols must be met, including daily medical checkups, military security on every floor and at all points of entry and beaches being kept off-limits to those in quarantine. Hotel workers will be provided with personal protection gear from the military.

“We have an interest in protecting our community and stopping the spread of COVID-19 just as much as the military has an obligation to return the USS Roosevelt to the open ocean to protect Guam and the region,” the governor said.

Leon Guerrero noted there will be people who oppose her decision, but she warned that this isn’t the time for an “us vs. them” mentality and that some of those sailors are sons and daughters of Guam.

“They sat at King’s with friends on a Friday night. They graduated from places like Simon Sanchez and (George Washington High schools). They are our nieces, our nephews, our sons and our daughters. And we can protect Guam while being humane to them. That is the Guam I know, and we will not abandon who we are out of fear,” she said.

Speaker Tina Muña Barnes, in a statement supporting the governor’s decision, said 20 of Guam's sons and daughters are assigned to the aircraft carrier. Barnes said in her discussions with the military's Joint Region Marianas she was assured that military facilities, including bachelor quarters and recreation centers, would be utilized before sailors are moved to local facilities.

Us vs. them

Sen. Sabina Perez said she was “troubled” that the military wanted to utilize local facilities to house sailors who may have been exposed to the virus that causes COVID-19. She offered proposals that “protect the health and safety for both the crew and our island community.”

She recommended the military mobilize medical resources and that the president utilize the Defense Production Act to spur the manufacturing of needed medical supplies.

She also urged the Navy to “evacuate nonessential staff from the USS Roosevelt in order to decontaminate the ship,” and for local military leaders to create quarantine areas on Naval Base Guam, which is 38,000 square acres. She said such facilities would eliminate exposure to the base and civilian community.

The local group I Hagan Famalåo’an Guåhan also voiced concern at the governor’s decision, saying even with the safety precautions in place, there’s still a danger to the local community.

“While only those who test negative will be moved to Tumon, it is still risky considering how contagious the virus is. Being negative today doesn’t mean that they won’t be in a week or so,” the organization said. “The decision to house them in the middle of our community is playing a game of chance with the health of our people. We urge Gov. Leon Guerrero to reconsider her decision, as the people of Guåhan should be her first priority. Our health care systems are already strained and we need to protect them.”

Ready to respond

Rear Adm. John Menoni, commander of Joint Region Marianas, said the military is developing a plan as to how many sailors will be brought to Tumon hotels.

"The plan is to remove as many people off the Theodore Roosevelt as we can, understanding that we have to leave a certain amount of folks on board to do the normal standing watch duties to keep the ship running," he said.

Navy Has Taken 1,000 Sailors Off USS Roosevelt, Modly Says

I bet you wouldn't even accept any cruise ships asking for help.
Shall we will accept help. Provided country of that ship need to apologise over any insult or or information against China. Best will be the president kneel and ask for forgiveness from China. :enjoy:

https://www.postguam.com/news/local/navy-to-quarantine-sailors-in-hotels/article_5d51c176-73e6-11ea-a4d0-7bf7c1c2d16c.html

Navy to quarantine sailors in hotels

Some of the USS Theodore Roosevelt's sailors who will test clear of COVID-19 will be quarantined in unnamed Guam hotels as military officials work to decontaminate the aircraft carrier and separate them from sailors who have fallen ill from the rapidly spreading virus.

During a press conference Wednesday morning, Gov. Lou Leon Guerrero confirmed she agreed, under certain restrictions, to allow sailors off the aircraft carrier and into strictly guarded and monitored hotels off the Navy base because it's the humane thing to do.

“Throughout our response to COVID-19, I promised each of you that I would undertake any action necessary to keep the people of Guam safe. For this reason, I have agreed to allow the restricted housing of sailors who have tested negative for COVID-19,” she said. “In partnership with the Guam Hotel and Restaurant Association, public health officials and representatives of the Navy, only sailors testing negative for COVID-19 will be housed in vacant Guam hotels ... subject to a 14-day quarantine period enforceable under the Uniform Code of Military Justice.”

Adm. John Aquilino, commander of the U.S. Pacific Fleet, spoke with international media during a conference call Wednesday morning prior to the governor’s 1 p.m. press conference.

Aquilino declined to provide an update on the number of sailors who have tested positive. Certain national media outlets have reported there were at least 100 sailors infected with the new coronavirus. The Navy has stopped confirming the breakdown of military personnel with COVID-19 to Guam media since a recent Pentagon memo forbade the release of information that could compromise operational security.

“Thanks for accepting the 'no numbers,' but what I will tell you is I have no sailors in the hospital. I have no sailors on ventilators. I have no sailors in critical condition – no sailors in an (intensive care unit) status on the Theodore Roosevelt,” Aquilino said.

The governor noted that strict quarantine protocols must be met, including daily medical checkups, military security on every floor and at all points of entry and beaches being kept off-limits to those in quarantine. Hotel workers will be provided with personal protection gear from the military.

“We have an interest in protecting our community and stopping the spread of COVID-19 just as much as the military has an obligation to return the USS Roosevelt to the open ocean to protect Guam and the region,” the governor said.

Leon Guerrero noted there will be people who oppose her decision, but she warned that this isn’t the time for an “us vs. them” mentality and that some of those sailors are sons and daughters of Guam.

“They sat at King’s with friends on a Friday night. They graduated from places like Simon Sanchez and (George Washington High schools). They are our nieces, our nephews, our sons and our daughters. And we can protect Guam while being humane to them. That is the Guam I know, and we will not abandon who we are out of fear,” she said.

Speaker Tina Muña Barnes, in a statement supporting the governor’s decision, said 20 of Guam's sons and daughters are assigned to the aircraft carrier. Barnes said in her discussions with the military's Joint Region Marianas she was assured that military facilities, including bachelor quarters and recreation centers, would be utilized before sailors are moved to local facilities.

Us vs. them

Sen. Sabina Perez said she was “troubled” that the military wanted to utilize local facilities to house sailors who may have been exposed to the virus that causes COVID-19. She offered proposals that “protect the health and safety for both the crew and our island community.”

She recommended the military mobilize medical resources and that the president utilize the Defense Production Act to spur the manufacturing of needed medical supplies.

She also urged the Navy to “evacuate nonessential staff from the USS Roosevelt in order to decontaminate the ship,” and for local military leaders to create quarantine areas on Naval Base Guam, which is 38,000 square acres. She said such facilities would eliminate exposure to the base and civilian community.

The local group I Hagan Famalåo’an Guåhan also voiced concern at the governor’s decision, saying even with the safety precautions in place, there’s still a danger to the local community.

“While only those who test negative will be moved to Tumon, it is still risky considering how contagious the virus is. Being negative today doesn’t mean that they won’t be in a week or so,” the organization said. “The decision to house them in the middle of our community is playing a game of chance with the health of our people. We urge Gov. Leon Guerrero to reconsider her decision, as the people of Guåhan should be her first priority. Our health care systems are already strained and we need to protect them.”

Ready to respond

Rear Adm. John Menoni, commander of Joint Region Marianas, said the military is developing a plan as to how many sailors will be brought to Tumon hotels.

"The plan is to remove as many people off the Theodore Roosevelt as we can, understanding that we have to leave a certain amount of folks on board to do the normal standing watch duties to keep the ship running," he said.

Navy Has Taken 1,000 Sailors Off USS Roosevelt, Modly Says
Does that mean this ship has lost combat readiness and cannot conduct freedom of navigation?

Shall we will accept help. Provided country of that ship need to apologise over any insult or or information against China. Best will be the president kneel and ask for forgiveness from China. :enjoy:

Does that mean this ship has lost combat readiness and cannot conduct freedom of navigation?

Death before surrender to dictators and oppressors...

Death before surrender to dictators and oppressors...
Indeed, ordinary American now shall realise the US imperialism and dictator of US elite ruling party cover in sheep skin crying in the name of freedom and human right, asking ordinary American to do their dirty job. :enjoy:

US Navy removes commander of coronavirus-hit aircraft carrier Theodore Roosevelt after scathing letter leaks
  • Captain Brett Crozier wrote four-page letter describing bleak conditions on aircraft carrier and asking for stronger measures to control outbreak
  • More than 100 crew members have tested positive so far
Reuters
Published: 6:27am, 3 Apr, 2020
0edbd66c-7530-11ea-ab8f-988daf8efd6f_image_hires_064956.jpg

Captain Brett Crozier addresses the crew for the first time as commanding officer of the aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt in November. Photo: US Navy via AFP

The US Navy on Thursday relieved the commander of the aircraft carrier Theodore Roosevelt, who wrote a scathing letter that leaked to the public asking the Navy for stronger measures to control a coronavirus outbreak on board the ship.

The removal of Captain Brett Crozier from the command of the 5,000-person vessel was announced by acting US Navy Secretary Thomas Modly, who said the commander exercised poor judgment.

Modly said the letter was sent through the chain of command but Crozier did not safeguard it from being released outside the chain.

“It raised alarm bells unnecessarily,” Modly said.

Over 100 personnel on the ship have tested positive for the coronavirus so far.

In the four-page letter, Crozier described a bleak situation aboard the nuclear-powered carrier as more sailors tested positive for the highly contagious respiratory virus.

He called for “decisive action”: removing over 4,000 sailors from the ship and isolating them. He said that unless the Navy acted immediately, it would be failing to properly safeguard “our most trusted asset – our sailors”.

The letter put the Pentagon on the defensive about whether it was doing enough to keep the warship’s crew members safe, and alarmed the families of those aboard the vessel, whose home port is in San Diego.

The carrier was in the Pacific when the Navy reported its first coronavirus case a week ago. It has since
docked at US Naval Base Guam
on the southern end of the American island territory in the western Pacific.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom