What's new

US’s decade-long Pakistan strategy has failed, says Robert Blackwill

deckingraj

Reaction score
Country
India
The US’s strategy towards Pakistan over the past decade, which involves providing it economic and military help in a bid to influence its behaviour, has failed, said Robert Blackwill, a former U.S. ambassador to India, on Monday. For that reason, this is a very good time for the US to reconsider its strategy towards Pakistan, he said, during a talk titled ‘Does India have a grand strategy?’ in south Mumbai. India should evolve a sophisticated alternative for the U.S. instead of merely offering it “bumper-sticker advice” that it should just “give Pakistan an ultimatum.”

Indeed, while India had strategies to deal with most of its vital national interests, such as bringing the masses out of poverty and dealing with internal security threats, it did not have a grand strategy to “diminish the terrorist threat emanating from Pakistan," he said.

Blackwill defined a “grand strategy” as “the art of pursuing national goals in way that improves a nation’s ability to shape and cope with the conditions of an ever-changing international environment.”

“Pakistan has used terrorism as an instrument of policy against India for twenty years to try to press India into flexibility over Kashmir,” said Blackwill, a long-standing pro-India diplomat.

“An objective observer would say that this has not succeeded. Yet cross-border terrorist infiltration continues from Pakistan… It remains to be seen whether this twenty-year display of extraordinary restraint by India is going to continue.”

In contrast with its strategy towards Pakistan, India does have grand strategies towards the U.S. and China, he said. India’s decade-long, two-pronged grand strategy towards the US is to develop ever-closer ties while maintaining ITS freedom of action in the global arena.

“It’s working, despite the challenges,” he said, adding that disagreements over the future of Afghanistan, how to deal with China and outsourcing were just blips in an otherwise ever-deepening relationship. With respect to China, India tries to promote a positive, long-term relationship with Beijing, while hedging against a less than positive response, he said.

But both New Delhi and Washington are struggling over almost 18 months to develop a more aggressive set of policies in response to China’s various actions. For India, there was undoubtedly a “negative trend” in China’s treatment of border issues and Kashmir, he said.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/US-s-...ed-says-Robert-Blackwill/Article1-605474.aspx

I must say i am not sure why he was so outspoken about terrorism from Pakistan and China..... Hmmm something fishy, what say???

Last edited:
Bush wants and answer and you better have one ready NOW!!

repost111.jpg

^^^^^^^^^

Would have been better if you had shared the link as well, no???

@Mods ....

Can you please delete the thread??...I did searched however seems did not pay due diligence in checking thoroughly before posting....

Run of the mill stuff really. Lots of claims without any supporting evidence, which is really what the whole article is.

Run of the mill stuff really. Lots of claims without any supporting evidence, which is really what the whole article is.

Exactly....Though not sure why he was so outspoken....anyways it would be better to contribute in the original thread since this one will get deleted by Mods...

the guy know works for a lobbyist for india. So i am really not putting much stock in his statement for the moment if ever.

Could some one tell me where has US ever succeeded in solving a problem.

Can I just remind you all how discredited this man is?

Robert Dean Blackwill (August 8, 1939) is an American lobbyist and retired diplomat. Blackwill was the United States Ambassador to India (2001-2003), and United States National Security Council Deputy for Iraq (2003-2004), where he was a liaison between Paul Bremer

He worked for one the worse American diplomats in history, him and his boss singled handedly made Iraq the cluster f' that it is today during 2003-2004. I mean come on! Paul Bremer! Disbanding of the Iraqi army, turning loose half a million trained killers, denying there was an insurgency for 2 year!

You guys are so eager to isolate Pakistan that you're willing to use this idiot as supporting evidence?

Robert Blackwill, former U.S. ambassador to India , has now retired and just looking for publicity ..

when he was in office he never made any such comments..

when will this november come..?? i want to see new president coming in place of obama.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom