What's new

US Outraged With China’s Runaway Construction in South China Sea

What you say could be true, but that's reality. I mean, China is just a LOT bigger economically, a LOT more advanced tech wise etc etc. So what would you want China to do? NOT invest in your economy? NOT build your infrastructure? Who else will do it? Europe? Africa? It is YOUR job, as Vietnam, to make the most of it. To push China to do good things in your country, and to transfer technology, EXACTLY like China has done during the last 30 years Nobody gives out freebies. Vietnam has a hard working population, is low cost and has a totalitarian government. Meaning you have all the ingredients to become a mini-China (mini as in 100 million people, you'd still be the biggest European country by far). Vietnam can grow rapidly and become a high-middle income country in 15 years. It's YOU who has to do it. Aside from silly fears of 'artillery coordinates' and eavesdropping on a local police station. Why the hell would China go to war with Vietnam? Even for those silly islands, they won't do it.

What did I tell you about Viets being delusional?

Capitalism requires a period of building up resources. Europe earned theirs from Africa. US conquered the Indian to rise to power. Where do you think a capitalist China get their money from? The West? No, while US and the West were busying playing cold games with Soviet, China had been silently got there web of profit around the world. NK, Pakistan, Egypt, Argentina, VN... have traded with China for a long time. We gain and lose things in trade, that's natural. But when we lose things outside of trade, then naturally that itself will affect trade. The thing is China steps out of the line and uses trade as a tool to threat our security. That's why we becomes hostile with Chinese business.

My fear is not silly, because that was what happened in 1979. You called it a local police station, while it actually the building of Ministry of Public Security. Last time, all China needed was to give VN a lesson and tens of thousands people died. What can stops them from giving a second lesson when VN is repeating the same step, leaning to another power but not China?

You could be right. Although China's trade before their opening up to the west was extremely little. And about the China-Vietnam conflict, that killed a couple of thousand on both sides, you seem to forget the one a few years earlier, which killed four MILLION Vietnamese...

You could be right. Although China's trade before their opening up to the west was extremely little. And about the China-Vietnam conflict, that killed a couple of thousand on both sides, you seem to forget the one a few years earlier, which killed four MILLION Vietnamese...

That, they tend to ignore.

That, they tend to ignore.
No I don't. However, it is easier to remember those who hit and ran, rather than those who fought and lost.
Are human lives comparable to you? Are they just numbers? Five millions VNese, both soldiers and civilians, lost their lives willingly or just victims of the cross fire so that VN could be whole against. Then a few years latter, thoudsands more died for what? To protect the newly gained united nation from Khmer Rogue. And China attacked us when we retaliated against Cambodia invasion. If China had overstayed their welcome, we would have been gladly gave up another 5 millions VNese to show China and the world that VN is not afraid of any invaders, whether it is the world strongest, or the once brother.

No I don't. However, it is easier to remember those who hit and ran, rather than those who fought and lost.

Are human lives comparable to you? Are they just numbers? Five millions VNese, both soldiers and civilians, lost their lives willingly or just victims of the cross fire so that VN could be whole against. Then a few years latter, thoudsands more died for what? To protect the newly gained united nation from Khmer Rogue. And China attacked us when we retaliated against Cambodia invasion. If China had overstayed their welcome, we would have been gladly gave up another 5 millions VNese to show China and the world that VN is not afraid of any invaders, whether it is the world strongest, or the once brother.

Well if you want to show the world, it's easy. Just try to take back the Paracel islands. :P

You'll need a much bigger Navy budget though.

Well if you want to show the world, it's easy. Just try to take back the Paracel islands. :P

You'll need a much bigger Navy budget though.
Have we even stopped for one second? Not only military acts can be counted to our effort to take back the island, you know.

The thing is China steps out of the line and uses trade as a tool to threat our security. That's why we becomes hostile with Chinese business.

Has China ever threatened you with economic sanctions over some disagreement -- as opposed to regular behavior of a certain great power that you are now readying to sign a very comprehensive trade agreement?

How many times has the US resorted to economic sanctions?

And how many times has China?

Has China ever threatened you with economic sanctions over some disagreement -- as opposed to regular behavior of a certain great power that you are now readying to sign a very comprehensive trade agreement?

How many times has the US resorted to economic sanctions?

And how many times has China?
I believe sanction is but one of many way to start a "business war". Creating false market movements, smuggling, tax evading, etc can also destroy an economy. Thanks to US sanctions our economy has been dependent on China for a long time, to the point that China does not need sanction to mess it up badly.

I believe sanction is but one of many way to start a "business war". Creating false market movements, smuggling, tax evading, etc can also destroy an economy. Thanks to US sanctions our economy has been dependent on China for a long time, to the point that China does not need sanction to mess it up badly.

But how might China get involved in those, especially tax evading and market manipulations? These are your domestic affairs. China, basically, can only threaten with economic sanctions. But it has no such history. The US, on the other hand, is known as an oft-user of economic punitive action and you just want to further embed the fundamentals of your economy to that economic black-mailer.

But when Gwadar going to launch in full pace, then the value of Karachi will going to go down on very rapid scale. So will give chance to West to come and invest here. So, when Gwadar is going to launch?

Can you share any infrastructure development related to Real Estate and Industries there in....

Have we even stopped for one second? Not only military acts can be counted to our effort to take back the island, you know.

Yeah, go cry at the UN or some courts. China's punishment will be VERY severe. They might single handedly send you back to the 90's. I don't get why Vietnam is acting against it's own interest so much. Wait, I do.

chinese are becoming arrogant as they are getting powerful. chinese are showing their expansionist mentality. chinese are spreading instability in region. chinese need to respect sovereignty of other nations.
it seems impossible but i just hope one day chinese will understand meaning of peaceful coexistence.

Yeah, India doesn't get it. They're not being surrounded by fake 'allies' of the enemy. If the US were putting missile on the Maldives, getting Bangladesh and Sri Lanka to 'reclaim land' on reefs in the INDIAN ocean, then you might understand. Look at history, the long one, when India and China were the undisputed champions. Not just at the last few years. If you aren't objective enough to see that a peacefully rising country is being CORDONED off and contained, you're blind or uninformed. I know, their military parades might seem 'frightening', but that doesn't make them a hostile nation. Or expansionist.

Hey honestly, I agree with Vietnam kicking CRACK POT's arse. Heroic act. But China had it's fears/interests back then, so they needed that murderous crack Pol Pot. I'm not saying it's right, but they perceived it to be their interest. But the question remains, which one of the two nations (CN/US) harmed your sovereign nation MORE? Which one deserves your fear and anger MORE anno 2015?

Yeah, India doesn't get it. They're not being surrounded by fake 'allies' of the enemy. If the US were putting missile on the Maldives, getting Bangladesh and Sri Lanka to 'reclaim land' on reefs in the INDIAN ocean, then you might understand. Look at history, the long one, when India and China were the undisputed champions. Not just at the last few years. If you aren't objective enough to see that a peacefully rising country is being CORDONED off and contained, you're blind or uninformed. I know, their military parades might seem 'frightening', but that doesn't make them a hostile nation. Or expansionist.

I guess that's too much of an understanding we anticipate from a group of people that suffer from a China fixation. And this is at the cost of historical truth which teaches that China is in fact a late-comer in island reclamation and development.

Anyways, time for trying to reason with these people is up; now China walks and the rest talks.

As China takes new initiatives, the discourse changes. What is "big news" today becomes insignificant tomorrow not because the reality on the ground changes, but, China feeds them new talking points.

It is a discourse management in a sense.

Back
Top Bottom