What's new

US not interested in FTA with India: Biden

What about Bangladesh signing FTA with India?
BD industries are same. Dont want competion. BD could learn from vietnam not to be afraid but i dont think they will.

good luck with signing free trade with EU. The europeans are even more conservative when it comes to free trade. Unless they see massive benefit they wont go for it not to mention even 1 european country veto it wont pass out of 26.

Canada took 6 years to sign free trade with EU. and it was a nightmare to make each of the member states happy. and thats for a coutry like canada one of the richest.
Negotiations will be done anyhow.

Deep within policy circles conversations about India's capacity to balance PRC started couple of years back, I know Pakistani friends would love to relate it with 27th of feb, but I would not go there. Loss of Kabul will accelerate this condition. US need to find alternatives of India for its Pivot to the Asia or change the plan drastically.

GOI is sincere this time around. They will clinch deals as fast as they can. They have set target of a trillion dollars in merchandise exports by 2027-28. They will need FTA's. Agricultural reforms were initiated for these FTA's to go through as most countries wanted India to open up for agri products previously.

Piyush goyal is very dedicated and India sure to experience huge improvements in the exports sector. Look at what he had done with Indian railways.

US will not make any more Free Trade Agreements with any country which have a trade volume greater than $150 billion.
That has always been Democrat's trade policy.

Big Boys in trade like India do not get FTAs fron US.
Only countries with small trade volumes do.

Not really.

India wants a FTA with US, but still wants exclusions to protect certain domestic industries.

This latest news indicates that those talks were going nowhere.

Deep within policy circles conversations about India's capacity to balance PRC started couple of years back, I know Pakistani friends would love to relate it with 27th of feb, but I would not go there. Loss of Kabul will accelerate this condition. US need to find alternatives of India for its Pivot to the Asia or change the plan drastically.
I don't think they got your memo.

US greets India on Independence Day, says ties 'more important than ever'

Read more at:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst

You bring in a new perspective into the discussion which might derail this thread. Would you please open a new thread on it so people can discuss about it? Thanks

US will not make any more Free Trade Agreements with any country which have a trade volume greater than $150 billion.
That has always been Democrat's trade policy.

Big Boys in trade like India do not get FTAs fron US.
Only countries with small trade volumes do.
More like the US no longer needs India post Afghan withdrawal.

The cheap US-India freindship was only there to keep pressure on Pakistan that it's military does not confront NATO in Afghanistan or pull out of providing logistical support to NATO forces.

Welcome to the new reality. Now watch how the US treats India if it refuses to fight China militarily.

The cheap US-India freindship was only there to keep pressure on Pakistan that it's military does not confront NATO in Afghanistan or pull out of providing logistical support to NATO forces.

Welcome to the new reality. Now watch how the US treats India if it refuses to fight China militarily.
It’s not that, I’m following this Indo-FTA news since last year, USA had said it is not interested in the bigger FTA, but wanted to secure a mini trade deal, it was not going great since the beginning.
It has nothing to do with Afghanistan, I mean what does trade have to do with Afghanistan?

TPP might re surface in coming days. TPP include asian countries. It was design to counter china's influence.

These is no free lunch.

Don't confuse deep policy with surface level statements.
And you know this deep policy? haha. I mean we all know you are a Pakistani who is pretending to know the inner workings of US (even as present administration littered with Indian Americans). Don't worry about me though. Carry on.

... It has nothing to do with Afghanistan, I mean what does trade have to do with Afghanistan? ...

Free Trade Agreement with India was just another carrot that the US used to keep India on it's side (emboldened India to keep Pakistan under pressure) just like the Nuclear Supplier Group and permanent UN Security Council biscuits that Barrak Obama used to sway India away from China.

Also, the UK and Australia normally tow the US line in these sorts of matters.

Free Trade Agreement with India was just another carrot that the US used to keep India on it's side (emboldened India to keep Pakistan under pressure) just like the Nuclear Supplier Group and permanent UN Security Council biscuits that Barrak Obama used to sway India away from China.

Also, the UK and Australia normally tow the US line in these sorts of matters.
We’ll see, can’t predict what’s going to happen.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom