What's new

US Judge:“The government made them terrorists. .. I am not proud of my gov"

Martian

Reaction score
‘Terms of entrapment’: US judge assails her govt’s anti-terror tactics

NEW YORK, Sept 8: The last of four men convicted in an FBI sting operation was sentenced on Wednesday to 25 years in prison by a judge who said she was not proud of her government for its role in nurturing the plot to bomb synagogues and shoot down military planes with missiles.

US District Judge Colleen McMahon took another swipe at the US government’s handling of the case as she gave Laguerre Payen the same mandatory minimum prison term that she handed down in June to his three co-defendants: James Cromitie, David Williams and Onta Williams. She singled out Cromitie as the group’s leader.

“The essence of what occurred here was that a government, understandably zealous to protect its citizens, created acts of terrorism out of the fantasies and the bravado and the bigotry of one man in particular and four men generally and then made these fantasies come true,” she said. “The government made them terrorists. ... I am not proud of my government for what it did in this case.” McMahon spoke after Payen, in an unusual courtroom twist, took his opportunity to speak at sentencing to ask the judge in a soft and hushed tone, “Am I a terrorist?” The 29-year-old said the conviction didn’t make sense to him. “Am I what they say, an extremist? Am I guilty?” The judge said the word “terrorist” had been stretched beyond her understanding of it over the last decade.

“I can tell you this.You were prepared to do a terrible thing and you tried to do a terrible thing and you tried to do it for a terrible reason,” she said. “Maybe it doesn’t make you a terrorist, but it makes you a criminal. It makes you guilty of a hideous crime.” Later, she added: “If terrorism is a crime of ideology, then you are no terrorist, but for money.” Payen then gave a rambling, stammering statement filled with long pauses in which he said he felt railroaded.“I’m not guilty,” he said. “I wasn’t going to do nothing. I wasn’t going to do that stuff or nothing like that. But, you know, this case like a big theatre. “They don’t show everything. They destroy evidence and everything. And, you know, stuff that should be on camera isn’t there.” The four men were convicted in October 2009 of conspiracy to use weapons of mass destruction and other charges, including a count of attempting to acquire or use antiaircraft missiles that carried the mandatory minimum of 25 years in prison.

The sting began in 2008 after an FBI informant was assigned to infiltrate a mosque in Newburgh, about 113km north of New York City. Prosecutors said the informant was approached by Cromitie, who explained that his parents had lived in Afghanistan and he was upset about the war there.

The government said Cromitie expressed an interest in returning to Afghanistan and said that if he were to die a martyr, he would go to paradise. It said he also expressed interest in doing “something in America.

The trial featured two weeks of testimony by the informant, Pakistani immigrant Shahed Hussain. After meeting Cromitie at the mosque, Hussain told him he was a representative of a Pakistani terrorist organisation that was eager to finance a holy war on US soil.

Prosecutors alleged that in meetings with Hussain, Cromitie hatched the scheme to blow up the synagogues in the Bronx with remote-controlled bombs and to shoot down cargo planes at the Air National Guard base in Newburgh with heat-seeking missiles. They said he also recruited the other men to be lookouts with promises of money. Onta and David Williams are not related.

The informant provided the men with fake bombs and an inert shoulder missile launcher. Agents arrested the four in 2009 after they planted the fake bombs in the Riverdale section of the Bronx while under heavy surveillance.

In one of several videos played at the trial, the men were seen inspecting the missile launcher in a bugged warehouse in Connecticut two weeks before the planned attack. At the end of the tape, Cromitie, two of his cohorts and the informant bow their heads in prayer.

Jurors also heard tapes of Cromitie ranting against Jews and US military aggression in the Middle East.

In a release, US Attorney Preet Bharara said Payen’s punishment was deserved. “Although these weapons were fake, the defendant believed they were real, and today’s sentence underscores the gravity of these crimes.” Payen is illegally in the US from Haiti. McMahon said he likely would be deported after he completed his sentence in conditions that were likely to be harsh.

During the two-month trial, Payen spent part of the time chained to a wheelchair with handcuffs and shackles after the judge concluded he was faking mental ill ness with claims he was seeing “fogs, lights, the Virgin Mary, ghosts, dead people, bugs crawling on him and people demanding to play chess”.

Still, McMahon ordered that he continue to be evaluated for mental disorders, which would determine where he should serve his sentence. She said her finding that he sometimes fakes mental illness does not mean he has no mental health issues.

At one point on Wednesday, Payen defended his actions in the case, saying: “I was just selling a dream. ... They told me to sell them a dream.” He reflected on the trial as well, speculating that efforts to determine his sanity might have been misdirected. “The whole time, I’m like floating in the air. I’m like on Cloud 9, just watching it all. And I’m like, ‘This is crazy’,” he recalled.—AP

http://epaper.dawn.com/ArticleText.aspx?article=09_09_2011_014_011

Yea its very sad it seems these people have been victims of entrapment. I was watching a documentary last night and there were comments from people who knew or are related to the people who have been entrapped and have got long prison sentances. The picture that they were drawing was not of terrorsit but at worst misguided stupid people with low IQs who were probably more interested in making a quick buck than killing. It appears the judge presiding over the trial stated that he had some reservations about these cases. Hopefully these cases will be reviewed by the supreme court

Extremism in the US
By Mehdi Hasan

A DECADE after 9/11, the US presents a pathetic spectacle. Extremism is on the rise but the extremists have no answer to the country’s problems. Neither, many suspect, has President Barack Obama.

According to a Washington Post-ABC News poll, more than 60 per cent of those surveyed say that they are disappointed at the way he is handling the economy.

Unemployment rate is stuck at 9.1 per cent. There was zero net job creation last month. Projections are that the rate of unemployment would remain high next year when Obama is up for re-election. Facing him is a battery of three Republican hopefuls with no idea as to how to fix the economy.
They are united by two ideas; namely deny Obama a second term and ride to power on the wave of extremism which is assuming frightening proportions with its blend of chauvinism, evangelism and a bizarre outlook. All three woo the Tea Party.

Congresswoman Michele Bachmann of Minnesota astonished everyone by winning the pre-caucus straw poll in Iowa on Aug 13. She supports the Dominionism sect which says that Christians should rule the world. She proclaims her opposition to extending unemployment insurance for the unemployed and advocated repeal of Obama’s health plan and the financial reform law.

About 50 million Americans have no healthcare. Mitt Romney, former governor of Massachusetts, is a former head of a private equity firm Bain Capital. This multimillionaire had no qualms about joking with unemployed people that he too was currently unemployed.

Rick Perry, who has served as governor of Texas for 11 years, wants to amend the constitution to take away rights from pregnant women and to eliminate direct elections to the Senate, which the 17th Amendment requires. He also wants to repeal the 16th Amendment thereby eliminating the income tax which accounts for 80 per cent of government revenue.

Not since Barry Goldwater in 1964 has any Republican candidate for the president’s office been so wildly unrealistic. It is part of a pattern. A conservative ran for local office in eastern Washington state on a platform of shooting illegal immigrants on
sight. A Republican candidate for a Senate seat from Nebraska compared the poor to scavenging raccoons. Rick Perry decries everything from evolution to the global consensus on climate change.

The three hopefuls would not have gone so far were it not for their perception that these cries are what the country wants to hear. Keith T. Poole of the University of California, San Diego holds that the ideological divide in Congress was the highest in 120 years. The polity is split, not least in the Supreme Court, and politics have become polarised. The main cause of this rift is that the Republicans have begun to move to the right.

A marked rightist tendency always existed in the US. It acquired an edge during the Cold War. The congressional election of 1994 was an earthquake. The Democrats lost their majority in the house. Its speaker Newt Gingrich had no use for bipartisanship; his dislike for President Bill Clinton was deep and intense. Gingrich forced a shutdown of government in 2005.

Many an American consulate was closed, however briefly. The spirit of bipartisanship became weaker. it faces extinction today.

Jane Harman was first elected to the house in 1992. She resigned her seat this year and became president and CEO of the Woodrow Wilson International Centre for Scholars. A confirmed advocate of bipartisanship, she wrote last month on the play of partisanship by the Republicans in the recent debt-ceiling crisis. “Giving President Obama credit for working out a compromise could help him get re-elected — and that is simply unacceptable to some Republicans, who would rather take him
down even if our country’s economy and standing in the world are collateral damage. Governing effectively and solving problems used to be rewarded. Now what’s rewarded is defeating the other party. And sadly, no one seems to find political
value in bipartisanship.
”

It matters not that, in the process, the country’s interests suffer. For the gains of political success, which compromise entails, strengthen the party in power. This is a global phenomenon.

In the US it has assumed a virulent form as The Economist noted last month. “As for ideological differences, the gap between America’s parties is growing. The most conservative Democrat on Capitol Hill is to the left of the most liberal Republican, and vice versa. The Democrats have become the defenders of social-transfer payments, the Republicans zealous champions of small government and low taxation.

“Many of the 87 freshmen Republicans entering the house in November do not believe that they were sent there to conduct business as usual or — witness their willingness to risk default by refusing to raise the federal debt ceiling — observe the customary rules of the game…. The addition of inexperienced legislators, burning with missionary zeal, to an already complex system of divided government and separated powers has cast even veteran observers of Congress into a despond. Next year’s
elections, it is said, are sure to produce very close margins in both houses, and even more polarisation as redistricting enhances the role of primaries on the Republican side, pulling candidates further to the right.”

This political surge of the American right is coupled with the growth of evangelism. The word ‘fundamentalism’ is of American provenance. From 1910 onwards, a series of 12 volumes was published entitled The Fundamentals. It contained 90 articles by various Protestant theologians who were opposed to any compromise with modernism. It was reissued with a new introduction in 1988. Fundamentalists held that the Great Depression in the 1930s was “a sign of God’s vindictive punishment on an apostate America”. The Cold War helped them.

It is on this tradition that the Republicans are drawing with increasing zeal. And 9/11 made matters worse still. Prof Paul Kennedy, author of the famous work The Rise and Fall of the Great Powers, points out that America’s reaction to that terrorist outrage eroded its strength, as did its aggression on Iraq.

Judging by the trends the situation is likely to get worse. For the one man who can and should check the trends refuses to lead.

President Obama prefers to deliver brilliant speeches and play the part of a chairman who struggles to achieve a consensus — and ends up by incurring censure from all

The writer is an author and a lawyer.

This wasn't just idol fantasy brought to life, the accused went as far as to actually plant the dummy bombs on the targeted bridge. I couldn't possibly see a return from the point of actually planting the stuff. If they weren't serious they could have walked away at anytime.

That said, the 'lookouts' were promised money to keep watch, what I'd like to know is if they were told of why they would be keeping watch before the day the bombs were planted. That would make alot of the difference. If they did know and still kept watch their sentence is justified to an extent.

The statement of the judge is true about his govt. He is speaking the truth.

The morality of Normal US citizens is not same as Morality of Government and officials or policy groups

Normally the US citizens do not necessarily effect the decision making as its always influenced by policy groups (lobbies) who manipulate selected officials.

Back
Top Bottom