What's new

US drones and national interest

Neo

RETIRED

New Recruit

Reaction score

EDITORIAL (July 09 2009): The drone attack on Baitullah Mehsud's stronghold on Tuesday that reportedly killed 16 militants, including three Uzbeks, was not very different from the previous strikes, except for a significant perceptional nuance: both Pakistan and United States have now come to concur that there is no such thing as 'good Taliban' and 'bad Taliban'.

Baitullah is as bad a Taliban as other Taliban leaders in North Waziristan or elsewhere. Up till now, he had been spared the CIA-operated drone strikes for the purported reason that he had no liaison with the Afghan Taliban - unlike the Taliban leaders of North Waziristan, who were targeted a number of times.

In fact, Pakistan's deep concern that Baitullah had ganged up some 43 Pakistan-based militant outfits to forge the Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan, as a move to buttress Fazlullah in Swat and had dispatched suicide-bombers all over Pakistan, received scant attention in Washington. But that seems to be changing as the Pakistan and US militaries move closer in identifying their common enemy.

An equally important change of heart, if you please, amongst the Pakistani military leadership is believed to be the realisation that since use of conventional air power, like fighter-bomber jets and gunship helicopters, creates excessive scare and triggers unwanted civilian population dislocations, deploying target-specific drones would be a better option.

Some 45,000 IDPs have already poured out from the war zones of South Waziristan and its adjoining areas, and that even before the full-throttled operation gets underway. Then there are reports of the two sides, Pakistan and US military authorities, agreeing to share the intelligence required to plan the drone strikes. According to media reports, Baitullah Mehsud is in their sight and if he had narrowly escaped the Tuesday attack, tomorrow or the day after he may not be that lucky.

To the extent possible, the high command would like to decapitate the Taliban network by eliminating Baitullah Mehsud and his deputies before going for a major assault in South Waziristan. There is a feeling that, but for such a plan, the Swat operation has lasted longer than expected and also triggered unexpectedly larger dislocations of civilian population.

But even when the victories attributed to the use of drones are spectacular and more foreign militants have been killed by the drones than in other operations, the question remains how to condone the violation of Pakistan airspace and infringement of the country's sovereignty. There is deep resentment over this, vociferously expressed by the man in the street and the political leadership, in and out of parliament.

But the US government has not responded in a way that would sooth frayed nerves in Pakistan. So, having failed to convince the Americans to give Pakistan the drone technology, the government is now asking them to fly the Pakistani flag on these war machines when they enter Pakistani air space. What happened to this request we do not know. But we do feel that the issue of drones needs to be settled once and for all, keeping in view the effectiveness of this weapon as compared to the conventional air power now available with Pakistan.

One has to look at this imbroglio dispassionately. The question is, if American military supplies can be transported to Afghanistan through Pakistan; if its air bases can be used by Americans to support their invasion of Afghanistan, and if many other countries - in much less dangerous situations than Pakistan - host American bases and troops on their soil; we need to look at this issue realistically through the prism of pragmatism.

Failure against Baitullah Mehsud and his ilk of murderous criminals is just no option. The Pakistan military simply cannot afford to lose this campaign against him and his gang. Pakistan must win this war at all costs - including the deployment of American drones within a mutually agreed framework.

Neo

In a piece posred by Rabzon, Sen Carl Levin complains that "The believed the Pakistani leadership lacked “political steel in their backbone”- ant

Essentially this is the problem - the lack of confidence to not only do the right thing but the inablity to argue forcefully to swing public opinion -- The pro-militant people will bad mouth the drone attacks and say it killed "innocents" but rarely will we hear from them about the "innocents" killed in Suicide attacks or the murder of pro-govt maleks and elders.

Well said Sir, I couldn't agree more.

I was trying to find the artile regarding the local support for US' drone attacks but kind find it. It was a really an eyeopener how the locals see and support US' drive to kill Talibans and to see their lives back to normal. Like many of them I too don't really care how the GoP lacks backbone, as long as these talibunnies are killed US has my support.

I am all for Drone attacks as long as the Intel given to the US is legitimate. I am more than 100% sure that many of these drone attacks are done under the watchful eye of the ISI anyways. The sovereignty issue is just willy nilly after all the Pakistani's would rather bring up the sovereignty issue than be blamed for working directly with the US by the pro militant people

Last edited:
The way around the issue is demonstrate conviction and courage to mould public opinion - voice of the people voice of god stuff is all good and fine but nothing will sustitute LEADERSHIP

cia israeel and india **** u

surely that was the most intelligent thing you could come up with right? But getting back on the topic.. there are some uncertainity's that are still not clear and are a bit disturbing.

As of april this year, 60 cross border drones had killed 14 alqaeda members and 690 pakistani's, needless to say such drones results as breading grounds for terrorist organisations. I do not condone or condemn drone attacks but no way the government of Pakistan can openly endorse American drones, when it results is so many uncalled for deaths. Ofcourse had Pakistan themselves carried out such drone attacks, then they could possibly swing the public opinion in there favour just like they did with swat, bajaur, etc.

Back
Top Bottom