Not open for further replies.

Spring Onion

PDF VETERAN
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
US diplomat in row over 'skin dirty & dark like Tamilians' remark
PTI | Aug 13, 2011, 02.34PM IST

CHENNAI: A US diplomat was caught in a row after her remarks of "dirty and dark" Tamilians, prompting the American Consulate here to term them as "inappropriate".

"I was on a 24-hour train trip from Delhi to Orissa. But, after 72 hours, the train still did not reach the destination... and my skin became dirty and dark like the Tamilians," US Vice-Consul Maureen Chao said, going down memory lane two decades ago when she was a student.

In a speech at the SRM University, Chao also said, "Some 20 years ago, I was a student like you and had an opportunity to do a semester abroad. I chose to come to India, fascinated by the culture and religion. I travelled across villages to understand the culture better. I was amazed at the graciousness and friendliness of the people."

Going into a damage-control mode following her controversial remarks, the US Consulate here said, "During the speech Ms. Chao made an inappropriate comment. Ms. Chao deeply regrets if her unfortunate remarks offended anyone, as that was certainly not her intent".

The consulate said in a release that the diplomat was describing "positive memories from her own study abroad experiences in India 23 years ago".

As US Secretary Hillary Clinton recently noted, the US-India partnership was based on shared values of democracy, liberty and respect for religious and cultural diversity, the Consulate release said.

"The US Consulate in Chennai and the US Mission in India are committed to upholding these shared values", it said.

US diplomat in row over 'skin dirty & dark like Tamilians' remark - The Times of India

who is ambassador to india from US??
i think tim roemer resigned..

if someone issues statements regarding Sri Lanka, then some indians will jump in, now where are those guys?

if someone issues statements regarding Sri Lanka, then some indians will jump in, now where are those guys?

i only disagree wrt the "dirty" part and regarding to dark..many indians are dark either north or from south..
and 15% americans are also dark..

It seems she knows nothing about Martin Luther king Jr. and yet she is US diplomat..

I think dirty and dark means dirty and ugly... No ?

wasn't there a another thread on this with much more subtle title ....??

Pathetic. Stupid loser calling dark complexioned as dirty, when dark is the new white of this generation. Dusky and darker skinned celebrities are preferred today. Wonder where this stupid racist छिली हुई आलू was hibernating to sleep through such a sweeping change in people's mentality.

I think dirty and dark means dirty and ugly... No ?

beauty is in the eye of the beholder. but when you are blinded by hatred its so obvious that everything you see about us is dirty and ugly.
ps. i would not mind looking dark and ugly, but would feel guilt being called a terrorist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom