What's new

US defence secretary Panetta pledges steps to allow India access to dual us

Adnan Faruqi

BANNED
Reaction score
US defence secretary Panetta pledges steps to allow India access to dual use tech

The US on Wednesday promised to initiate measures to provide access to dual use technology to India which has been contending that American norms were leading to denial of export of such sophisticated items.

This assurance was given by US defence secretary Leon Panetta to defence minister AK Antony during hour-long discussions in which they reviewed the security situation in South Asia and the Af Pak region.

Panetta gave an assurance to Antony that the US would initiate measures to provide access to technology, defence ministry officials said.

The denial of dual-use items by the US to various laboratories under the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) was a key issue for discussion between the two sides.

DRDO chief VK Saraswat had recently said that US President Barack Obama's assurance on removal of DRDO from the entities list and easing exports of dual use items had remained on paper.

In the backdrop of China asserting its naval presence in the South China Sea, Antony told Panetta that India favoured unhindered freedom of navigation in international waters for all.

His remarks come in the wake US announcement of moving six aircraft carriers in the Asia Pacific region.

Antony also told Panetta that in case of bilateral issues between countries, it was desirable that parties concerned should settle their contentious matters in accordance with international law.

Sources said that Panetta did not bring up the contentious Logistics Support Agreement, Communication Interoperability and Security Memorandum of Agreement (CISMOA) or the Basic Exchange and Cooperation Agreement for Geo-spatial Cooperation (BECA) during his discussions with Antony.

Panetta pledges steps to allow India access to dual use tech - Hindustan Times

Great news and about time the USA does this, India and USA could be a unstoppable force in so many fields, I know NASA and ISRO have a great relationship as well, now sit back and watch as the scientist and researchers in India come into their own, congrats India, like I have said India has many friends around the world now watch the Pakistani's and Chinese start their usual crying and warning. :)

Was at IDSA today, Panetta just left. Panetta said the full sale of Javelins is on in response to Ajai Shukla. There are problems with CISMOA etc. but they are being sorted out. Plus there are no plans for a base in Bangladesh as US has enough bases in the region. Many controversial questions were put forth about China and Pakistan, but Panetta was almost arfully super-evasive.

Great news and about time the USA does this, India and USA could be a unstoppable force in so many fields, I know NASA and ISRO have a great relationship as well, now sit back and watch as the scientist and researchers in India come into their own, congrats India, like I have said India has many friends around the world now watch the Pakistani's and Chinese start their usual crying and warning. :)

At least Pakistanis and Chinese aren't pretending to be French.:rofl:

What does "access to dual use technology to India" means?

US is trying to harmonise Dual use items and US munitions list. India is eligible for STA licence exception and is benefitted. Items are also being moved from USML to Commerce control list under "600 series".

There are many technologies that have civilian as well as military uses.
For example cryogenic engine can be used in rocket and in ICBM.

As i understood
If India don't have "access to dual use technology to India"
Means India can't buy something that can be used for military purpose, she can only buy hardware for civilian use.
once India have "access to dual use technology to India"
mean it can buy militarily an civilian hardware without going through Foreign military sale process.

Am i right?

another question does Israel has access to dual use technology, or what India is planning to get?

Back
Top Bottom