What's new

US Citizens! Help Pakistan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
No point imo.

Political interaction with the US comes with a price. Best not involve oneself that deeply.

* ‘Enhanced Partnership with Pakistan Act’ to authorise $1.5bn annually in socio-economic assistance for Pakistan for 10 years​

WASHINGTON: US Senator John Kerry, who is spearheading congressional efforts for three-fold expansion in economic assistance to Pakistan, has voiced confidence for passage of the Kerry-Lugar Act “very soon”, hinting at the possibility of further increase in non-military support.

“It will be taken up very soon. I think it is very important to demonstrate to the people of Pakistan that we are very supportive of the democratic process,” he said of the Enhanced Partnership with Pakistan Act measure that would authorise $1.5 billion annually in socio-economic assistance to Pakistan for 10 years.

The measure, he said, would “at least triple non-military aid to Pakistan on annual basis” and “we are looking at the question of whether we may put additional” money, APP reported.

He said lawmakers believe “that it is important (for United States) to have a relationship with the people of Pakistan. He said it remains to be seen whether any new conditions will be attached to military assistance for the country. “The effort here is to be cooperative to create a stronger relationship. We are very supportive of President (Asif) Zardari’s efforts to try to provide good government and strong civil institutions. We applaud his commitment to democracy. And we believe he has been strong and courageous in taking on difficult choices for Pakistan,” he added.

Referring to his statement on the impact of targeting militants on the Pakistani side of the Afghan border, he said he felt the strikes “can be counterproductive”.

He opposed the use of term war on terror saying the US was conducting a global counterinsurgency that required winning the hearts and minds of the people, not pushing them away. There is no military victory in Afghanistan, he said, emphasising that counterinsurgency involves building civilian institutions, providing jobs, heathcare, education, and civil society structure.

If Pakistan can create, for itself, a vibrant democracy which protects the human rights of all of its citizens, the US will be cheering and thanking the people of Pakistan! In spite of what you may think, the US BELIEVES that constitutional (e.g., "the rule of law, not personalities") republics are what will lead to world peace. Our biggest problem is we DON'T KNOW how to best help societies to achieve this, if they haven't already. We try this and that, but we really are just guessing what might help. And too often, I guess, our efforts either don't help or make things worse.

how are you so sure this won't be another one of those cases? its easy to champion foreign aid on humanitarian grounds but i wonder if this will achieve its purpose of buttressing pakistan's civil institutions and stimulate economic growth. or will it filter through the cracks into the pockets of various cartels, smugglers, and even into the opium fields in afghanistan? someone mentioned that 10% of pakistanis pay income tax... raises the question whether we should look at grants or find a more results-based way of dishing out $1.5 billion/year instead of confining it to vague "non-military" generalities like building schools and such (i wonder what kind of education those schools will provide???).

do any of these questions matter given the us's imposition on pak people for OEF? i think not, but this issue of 10 year ongoing aid programs is more complicated than just showing good will towards foreign peoples.

Sorry people...Since our economy is not in good shape, giving foreign aid to any country is a bad idea. Our money can be better spent on our own people, and giving funds we do not have will infuriate us taxpayers even more.

I DO NOT support the bill. :coffee:

I really appreciate the efforts of the poster who started this threat, but i think its better if the Americans keep their money to themselves. If the Americans really want to help us, they could start by opening up their markets to Pakistani products. Help us in solving our energy crises, send more experts in different fields(agriculture, education, healthcare) instead of just handing us out the money. So, i dont support this bill and i hope it is defeated.

Yes. Pakistan should be getting civilian aid, common people have nothing to do with wars. Everyone knows what happened to Iraqis when restrictions on civilian aid was tightened.

Sorry people...Since our economy is not in good shape, giving foreign aid to any country is a bad idea. Our money can be better spent on our own people, and giving funds we do not have will infuriate us taxpayers even more.

I DO NOT support the bill. :coffee:

Thank you secretary of finance for your input.

You can't protect the American people from the supposed gigantic terror threats from Afghanistan and Pakistan for free. Best option in this case would be to pack it in and station the army in Texas before it breaks away.

I really appreciate the efforts of the poster who started this threat, but i think its better if the Americans keep their money to themselves. If the Americans really want to help us, they could start by opening up their markets to Pakistani products. Help us in solving our energy crises, send more experts in different fields(agriculture, education, healthcare) instead of just handing us out the money. So, i dont support this bill and i hope it is defeated.

I agree with you 100% Eagle. Opening up trade with Pakistan is a great idea along with sending experts in different fields to directly help the Pakistani people.

If we send billions to your government it is pretty obvious that the people will not see a dime of it. Good post Eagle!

i read in some other thread that the pakistani memebers wanted their govt to stop receiving us govt aid...almost everybody was posting against the aid...are you still of this opinion or are things different in reality?

we are not in favour of us.aid because it all goes in the pocket of corrupt politicians and government employs.their lives become better and our remains the same...nothing changes!if US gives aid,they should moniter it also.!:pakistan::usflag:

THANKS FOR BRIGHT THINKING FOR PAKISTAN:pakistan:

i would say that we the Pakistanis should not ask for AID

Instead Ask for TRADE

Why is it that all call centers are being handed to India on a silver platter.

why is it that India has been handed a Nuclear deal with golden glove.

Why? Why?Why?...........................

It doesn't have to be aid OR trade, it can be both. It should be both. Pakistan should get as much financial aid as possible from the US. Part of the reason for so much US commerce with India is the number of entrepreneurial Indian Americans. We need more entrepreneurial Pakistani Americans to seize the opportunity for multinational service companies located in Pakistan but servicing the English speaking world.

Truth seeker, it may be true, but i feel their is an agenda out there to undermine Muslims.

Look at north Korea, they have free hand and are not under as strict scrutiny as Muslims are.

We are making sacrifices and are blamed without any reasons, when we see thing such the one below we feel the pain.

Raw Story Report: Blackwater guard saw Iraqi killings as 9/11 revenge

It doesn't have to be aid OR trade, it can be both. It should be both. Pakistan should get as much financial aid as possible from the US. Part of the reason for so much US commerce with India is the number of entrepreneurial Indian Americans. We need more entrepreneurial Pakistani Americans to seize the opportunity for multinational service companies located in Pakistan but servicing the English speaking world.

I don't think expat Pakistanis lack entrepreneurship, but it is very hard for a Pakistani-American to get a contract from a Western client if the work will be done in Pakistan because of the bad image (terrorism, unstability, etc.). There was a story on this forum the other day about a Pakistani-American who is running an outsourcing company from India.

The Pakistani government has to clean up internal problems and show stability before Western clients will feel comfortable outsourcing to Pakistan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom