What's new

US-China ties not at India's expense, says Washington

Srinivas

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India

WASHINGTON: Key American officials went into damage control mode on Wednesday after New Delhi reacted sharply to Washington's endorsement of a

Chinese role in South Asia, saying US relationship with China would not be at India's expense.

"Of course, the United States is interested in pursuing the best and healthiest possible partnership with China; but that does not come at the expense of other increasingly important partnership, particularly our relationship with India," Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs Williams Burns said in response to a question during a preview of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's visit here next week.

Burns, the No.3 official in the State Department said the reference in the joint US-China statement with regard to common international concerns, collective concerns about Afghanistan in particular, "is a very straight forward expression of that we look to China, we look to India, as many other countries in the world, to contribute to stability in Afghanistan."

Burns' remarks were echoed by Robert Blake, the Assistant Secretary of State for South Asia, who also suggested that the US-China joint statement related more to concerns about the ****** region.

Current and former officials suggested the mention of India and Pakistan did not mean the US believed China has any locus standi as an interlocutor and Washington was as keen to discuss regional issues with India as much as with China.

"I believe this (joint statement) was aimed at ****** and could prove to be very helpful, if not now then down the road," former Assistant Secretary of State Karl Rick Inderfurth said. "I do not believe this statement was aimed at India-Pakistan issues (nor should it be) and, thus, one should certainly not read too much into it."

US-China ties not at India's expense, says Washington - US - World - The Times of India

If you want me to chose one out of China and US as a friend, I'll choose China.

Friendship with:usflag: comes with * (term and conditions apply) sign. They heavily interfere in the foreign policies and keep twisting your arm.

Further, they will leave you at ground zero if it is going to benefit :usflag:

WASHINGTON: Key American officials went into damage control mode on Wednesday after New Delhi reacted sharply to Washington's endorsement of a

Chinese role in South Asia, saying US relationship with China would not be at India's expense.

"Of course, the United States is interested in pursuing the best and healthiest possible partnership with China; but that does not come at the expense of other increasingly important partnership, particularly our relationship with India," Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs Williams Burns said in response to a question during a preview of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's visit here next week.

Burns, the No.3 official in the State Department said the reference in the joint US-China statement with regard to common international concerns, collective concerns about Afghanistan in particular, "is a very straight forward expression of that we look to China, we look to India, as many other countries in the world, to contribute to stability in Afghanistan."

Burns' remarks were echoed by Robert Blake, the Assistant Secretary of State for South Asia, who also suggested that the US-China joint statement related more to concerns about the ****** region.

Current and former officials suggested the mention of India and Pakistan did not mean the US believed China has any locus standi as an interlocutor and Washington was as keen to discuss regional issues with India as much as with China.

"I believe this (joint statement) was aimed at ****** and could prove to be very helpful, if not now then down the road," former Assistant Secretary of State Karl Rick Inderfurth said. "I do not believe this statement was aimed at India-Pakistan issues (nor should it be) and, thus, one should certainly not read too much into it."

US-China ties not at India's expense, says Washington - US - World - The Times of India

India is only concerned about
On Tuesday, Obama and Chinese counterpart Hu Jintao announced plans to work together on a range of international issues. But the statement had an unexpected line: that the two sides “support the improvement and growth of relations between India and Pakistan.”

and its not about ****** relationship. They have not given any explantaion for this particular statement rather those dumb wits are straying on something else. I just wonder what if US-India joint statement next week mentions about China-Taiwan relationship and India'a role in resolving it???Would china take it lightly?? BTW i'm happy to see here India have atleast guts to slam US and China for such misadventures.

Considering the fact how disrespectfully they treat Canadian soldier's in AF war, this joint statement is nothing but another example of bad foreign policy. Neither US friendship is good for us nor enmity, its better to keep our distance - A fact MEA understands very well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom