What's new

US: China Stealth fighters will lag US for years

rockstarIN

Reaction score
Country
India
WASHINGTON (AP): The United States will retain a far bigger fleet of top-end fighter planes than China for years to come despite Beijing's early test of a Stealth jet that has stoked concern over its military buildup, the US defense chief said.

Defense Secretary Robert Gates told lawmakers that China faces a "long road" before deploying its J-20 Stealth fighter in any numbers, and predicted a continuing "huge disparity" compared with America's fleet of low-observable aircraft.

The chief of the Pacific Command, however, acknowledged that China also has a "formidable" ballistic missile capability that has grown for two decades.

Adm. Robert Willard said the United States was watching "very carefully," and it was important for China to be open and hold a dialogue with the US and other countries in the region about its intentions.

"If the two militaries are coming into contact with each other at the rate they are, then it's important that my commanders on the high seas or my mission commanders in the air have enough familiarity with that counterpart military not to misjudge, miscommunicate or misunderstand," he told journalists, alluding to concerns that a chance confrontation could spark conflict.

China's military buildup has caused unease among its neighbours in the Asia-Pacific, with whom it has territorial disputes. China's buildup also has raised questions about how long the United States can retain its military predominance in the region, which Washington views as vital for stability and policing sea lanes that keep for international trade moving.

China's arsenal of ballistic and cruise missiles, including one designed to target an aircraft carrier, and its growing surface and submarine fleet, could potentially constrain US operations in waters of the Western Pacific, although Willard maintained that China's capabilities had not necessitated a rethink of America's military strategy for the region.

The US Pacific Fleet alone includes five aircraft carrier strike groups, approximately 180 ships, 1,500 aircraft and 100,000 personnel.

China maintains that it has no offensive intentions, and sees its military capabilities as in keeping with its rising economic and diplomatic influence.

In a move seen by some as flagging the communist nation's clout, however, China staged a test flight of its Stealth jet during a visit by Gates to Beijing in January aimed at rekindling military ties

US: China Stealth fighters will lag US for years - Brahmand.com

J-20 will be deployed against F-22 by 2015. F-35 is not ready. The US is panicking.

I don't get the US media. We're either the bogeyman or the pushover. Are we dangerous or not?

The difference between US and China is far smaller than that between China and India. If I totally accept this article is true, then Indians must accept that China can crush India like a bug, and stop taking pride in the strength of others as a refuge for their own pathetic poverty and weakness.

Just dont forget there are still one more 5th gen will be out from SAC lol.Awaiting!:coffee:

I don't get the US media. We're either the bogeyman or the pushover. Are we dangerous or not?

well, it depends on the agenda.

we usually turn up the fear-mongering when asking for more defense spending.

well, it depends on the agenda.

we usually turn up the fear-mongering when asking for more defense spending.

But the rest of the time you need reassurances that China is harmless and inept. Right?

But the rest of the time you need reassurances that China is harmless and inept. Right?

china is harmless after they got your budget. the new weapons developed is not that great. but since the china is so harmless, it's good enough.

i hope you understand. it's all about money.

Simple, you're different things to different people. The US media is not a monolith, and freedom of speech means people are allowed to voice different views.

As for the military, it seems to reflect the attitude of the military as it has been. China's stealth plane is not a capability threat, but Ballistic missile capability is something that is being watched.

Simple, you're different things to different people. The US media is not a monolith, and freedom of speech means people are allowed to voice different views.

As for the military, it seems to reflect the attitude of the military as it has been. China's stealth plane is not a capability threat, but Ballistic missile capability is something that is being watched.

Oh bugger off, I live in Canada and we have freedom of speech same as you do. I asked the question because I wanted to point out the contradictory nature of the news reporting. I know news outlets have different political leaning. Stop being a patronizing prig.

You'd think you'd be smart enough recognize a rhetorical devices when you saw one.

We should keep the hardwork, why bother with the bull$hit from the US media?

If they prefer to look down on us, then let them be.

J-20 will be deployed against F-22 by 2015. F-35 is not ready. The US is panicking.

It'll be quite immature of you to think that US don't have any match-winner up their sleeve. China is still thirty years behind US in stealth technology. Their Black budget is $50 billion, so obviously they've spent quite a large fortune on their defense development.
And they successfully kept hidden F-117 for 10 years, and it was revealed for the first time in gulf war. So unless there is a war, they ain't gonna show their new fancy weapons.

Then they have no reason to call us a "threat".

Simple.

Back
Top Bottom