What's new

Up for wedding? Shop in Pakistan

Areesh

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Srinagar, Apr 25: Pakistan is emerging as a new shopping destination for Kashmiris as people are increasingly travelling to other side of the border to purchase wedding suits, designer shoes and electronic items at low prices.

Earlier restricted to a select few, the trend has now caught the fancy of common people too. The families with impending weddings, who wish to buy quality stuff at affordable prices, are making a beeline at Pakistan Embassy in New Delhi. At local marriages, the lehangas from Lahore and handicrafts from Rawalpindi are becoming a common fare.

“My daughter is getting married in September and when a friend advised me to go to Lahore for shopping instead of New Delhi, I was reluctant initially,” said Nazir Khan, a businessman from Srinagar. “But when I finally went there, I discovered a world class market of finest products at unbelievably low prices.”

Although garments appear to be the main shopping item, people are also returning back with bags full of electronics, handicrafts, souvenirs and even spices.

Similar culture and religion has been a major draw for Kashmiris in Pakistan.

“Even after going to New Delhi or other Indian markets, it is hard to find products of our taste due to different cultures,” said Khan. “But Pakistan is quite similar to our way of life and our womenfolk can use the clothes without alterations otherwise necessary for Indian products.”

When Khan’s daughter bought a lehanga for PKR 100,000 from Mohsin Sons Rawalpindi, she was overjoyed for having hit a jackpot as the same in India would have cost her a minimum of Rs 2 lakh.

“And forget the mind blowing craftsmanship, colour pattern, design and handwork ever getting in India,”
said Sumera Khan, his daughter. "The Indian lehangas priced at Rs one lakh, which we fancy so much are available at throwaway prices in Pakistan."

Almost every Kashmiri family visiting Pakistan comes back with at least a lehanga.

People who have shopped in both the countries are all praise for Pakistani markets for its wide range of products, quality and craftsmanship.

“Pakistanis have a great sense of shopping. Their standards have no match,” praised Sumera. “I had to buy a sandal and when I visited a shop in Lahore, the shopkeeper showed me over 100 varieties with 100 beautiful Zari designs. I ended up buying 20 but feel sad for the missed 80.”

The trip has also broken the common misconceptions against Pakistan. "Huge shops, fancy restaurants, branded stores and all are brimming with customers," said Khan. “The country is far advanced with booming markets and surprisingly peaceful too."

Khan said that Pakistani markets have everything to offer at lowest rates. "One Indian rupee gets PKR 1.6 in Pakistan. Once you add quality of products you end up doubling your money in Pakistan," he said. "Even our middle class can afford the trip and save a lot of money."
"I saved around Rs 2 lakh," beamed Khan who came back with 12 suitcases full of Pakistani products.
Ishaaq Chaudhary, who visits Pakistan every year, says the trend actually started with people visiting their relatives in Pakistan. “These people would usually come back with beautiful products impressing others," said Chaudhary. “And Pakistani channels like Hum TV have also introduced Pakistani fashion into our homes.”
Not only shopping, Kashmiris are exploring food markets of Pakistan too as they leave behind their apprehension of non-halal food.
“Trust me if you go to food market of Lahore, you will forget Wazwan,” said Sumera. “Even Chinese and other international restaurants, where a vacant table was rare, offered a variety of halal dishes blended into their unique tastes.”

The visitors also praised Pakistanis for their hospitality. “They are so nice. And whenever they heard we are from Kashmir, they would take pains to make us comfortable,” said Nazir. “Sometimes even Taxi driver refuses to take the fare, unlike in Delhi where being Kashmiri can sometimes invite trouble and touts.”
At the official level too, Kashmiris enjoy privileges.

“There are special counters for Kashmiris at Pakistan embassy and customs, and with a simple recommendation letter, visa is issued within 12 hours,” said Khan who remained in Pakistan for 16 days. “And the journey time by Delhi-Lahore bus is just 12 hours including customs.”

The low travelling cost stands at a minimal of Rs 2000-Rs 500 as Visa fee and Rs 1500 as bus fare.
Seeing the potential, some traders frequent Pakistan and bring back garments and other merchandise for sale.

Traders say there is a huge possibility of trade between Kashmir and Pakistan.

Former chairman Federation of Chamber of Industries Kashmir Shakil Qalander says that marriage market alone is very big in Kashmir. “On just marriage related clothes we spend around Rs 1000 crores annually,” said Qalander. “These bridal suits, wedding suits and other garments all come from Indian markets.”
Qalander said that if the garment sector is thrown open via trans LOC route, Kashmiris will emerge as winners with one more option to choose from.
In case hurdle-free trade and travel is allowed on Srinagar-Muzaffarabad road it will further bring down travelling time and cost for Kashmiris.
According to some estimates Pakistan-Kashmir trade can easily cross one billion dollars if trade liberalization is undertaken.

Up for wedding Shop in Pakistan Lastupdate:- Sat, 26 Apr 2014 18:30:00 GMT GreaterKashmir.com

@Armstrong
Ab to tum bhi shadi kar lo. :D

A laingaa for Rs.100,000 - I wouldn't even have anyone spend that amount on my Tomb* and they're spending that on a piece of clothing they'd never ever wear except for a few hours in their entire life-time ! :o:

* Peer Armstrong is going to be buried like the Pharaohs of Old ! :smokin:

Well to be honest is common here in Karachi at least. People spend that much money on clothes for wedding.

delhi is a rough place for outsiders, but I dont believe anybody specifically targets kashmiris.

[
“I had to buy a sandal and when I visited a shop in Lahore, the shopkeeper showed me over 100 varieties with 100 beautiful Zari designs. I ended up buying 20 but feel sad for the missed 80.”
She reminds me of my girlfriend!!!!!:rofl::rofl:
:rofl:

Sarry year ki shopping aik din main kar leti ha. And what u know she is also a Kashmiri:lol:

Well to be honest is common here in Karachi at least. People spend that much money on clothes for wedding.
Girls will be girls.:lol:

@Talon jab bhi islamabad aati ha sarri market khatam kr leti ha.

delhi is a rough place for outsiders, but I dont believe anybody specifically targets kashmiris.
Yup it is specially rapes and all.:yahoo:

@F.O.X ustad g dekha kashmir cant be broken away from us. We will still be part and parcel of their lives.

Last edited:
[

@F.O.X ustad g dekha kashmir cant be broken away from us. We still always be part and parcel of their lives.
It was never a question whether Kashmiri's want to live with Pakistan or not , as answer was very obvious that they Do .

We will always Fight for them & they will always Fight for us , this is our relationship with them , whether someone like it or not .

Last edited:
It was never a question whether Kashmiri's want to live with Pakistan or not , as answer was very obvious that they Do .

We will always Fight for them & they will always Fight for them , this is our relationship with them , whether someone like it or not .
Yup thats true and do u know im also from Azad Kashmir.

Back
Top Bottom