What's new

Unmanned version of Dhruv helicopter scrapped

Indo-guy

Reaction score
Country
India
http://www.defencenews.in/defence-news-internal.aspx?id=obGOV4m7XPA=

The operational need is there and the technologies are at hand – and yet the plan to develop a system that will take the pilot out of helicopters is still moving ahead very slowly. Many companies in the world are making developmental efforts, but none can offer a commercial solution at this point or any point in the near future.
1_img11614104234.jpg

The operational need is there and the technologies are at hand – and yet the plan to develop a system that will take the pilot out of helicopters is still moving ahead very slowly. Many companies in the world are making developmental efforts, but none can offer a commercial solution at this point or any point in the near future.

Israel aerospace industries (IAI), a world leader in unmanned systems, is continuing its efforts to develop an unmanned version of a manned helicopter. The company has been involved in the effort for years and has made impressive progress, but there are still some hurdles to overcome.

Two years after a joint venture between IAI and Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) aimed at developing an unmanned version of the Dhruv helicopter was abandoned, the Israeli company is now moving ahead alone.A source says that this time the plan is to use a more advanced helicopter of the Eurocopter EC-145, which has a fly-by-wire flight control system.

The source adds that the unmanned helicopter will be designed to meet Missile Technology Control Regime (MTCR) regulations, which are aimed at limiting the range and carrying capability of unmanned systems. Israel has not signed the MTCR treaty but follows its limitations.

IAI has identified a need for an unmanned helicopter for military use, especially on navy ships. Other potential customers include emergency services that have to operate in danger zones.As I said: the need exists and various technologies are available – but what is needed is a dedicated customer, willing to invest money, to get the remaining work done.

The feeling is that while many countries understand the operational need, they think this kind of system is of the “nice to have” type, and therefore postpone the crucial decision.Israeli sources say that the solution fits any type of helicopter, from the smallest to the CH-53 category. They also say that the operational advantages are huge – but while they are enthusiastic, an enthusiastic customer is still to be found.

At least they were realistic. When are we getting the LCH?

If I'm not wrong,it was not about "Unmanned Dhruv" but "Unmanned Chetak" for IN.then they shifted their focus..

IAI-HAL NRUAV - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

IAI to help India develop unmanned Dhruv - 1/6/2011 - Flight Global

both scraped probably due to not economically feasible.

The Chetak was the initial base platform, but later the Dhruv was considered, which would had been a agreat platform, but the lack of real interest in our or the Israeli forces made that development difficult, as sad as it is. Consider the Rudra in a naval / unmanned form, with much longer range and endurance for anti piracy / coastal defence or surveillance roles.

The Chetak was the initial base platform, but later the Dhruv was considered, which would had been a agreat platform, but the lack of real interest in our or the Israeli forces made that development difficult, as sad as it is. Consider the Rudra in a naval / unmanned form, with much longer range and endurance for anti piracy / coastal defence or surveillance roles.
@sancho my opinion that it is more useful to start off these rotary wing UAVs from the ground up as dedicated rotary wing UAVs rather than try to retrospectively convert manned helos into this role- what do you think?

I mean manned helos are designed to a specification to support x number of air crew and x number of troops/cargo with certain ergonomic and practical considerations having to be taken as a result. If you have a helo designed up to be unmanned you have much greater freedom to do as you please.

When I heard that the HAL-IAI joint team where switching from the Chetak to the Dhruv I was skeptical this would ever work to be honest. I'm sure a Dhruv can be configured in a UAV role but whether it has the same utility as a similarly powered/weight rotary wing UAV that was meant to be such from the ground up I had my reservations. I mean are any existing successful fixed wing UAVs based on manned a/c designs? The MQ-9? The Global Hawk? The IAI Heron? Nope.

Yes there is the ULB (unmanned AH-6/little bird) but then there is the FireScout which is an altogether more successful product and something the IN itself has shown interest in.

@sancho my opinion that it is more useful to start off these rotary wing UAVs from the ground up as dedicated rotary wing UAVs rather than try to retrospectively convert manned helos into this role- what do you think?

Actually it's easier to do it this way, since the helicopter is developed and tested for the most parts, in the case of Dhruv / Rudra even the surveillance systems are available and integrated, so all that is missing is the remote control capability. Designing an aircraft from the start for a certain purpose of course is easier in general, but the development and testing of all areas is more difficult and longer. The US already us the Firescout, the unmanned K-Max and soon also Bell 407 versions. Airbus has own developments in that regard too, using existing helicopters as the base, so for us using Dhruv would had been a good choice too, but maybe they aim on HAL's LUH for such unmanned use in future, lets see.

Back
Top Bottom