What's new

Unesco: Bangladesh literacy rate reaches all-time high of 72.76% in 2016

India's data is from 2011 & Bangladesh's data is from 2016... :no:
Bangladesh 2011 literacy from same source - 47.08

How could Indian _not_ be more literate than Bangladesh??

They are world champions in spouting BS anyhow.... :-)

This is an interesting thread. But again we've spoiled it by unnecessarily dragging india into the discussion. Why r we so obsessed with india. Really sad. :lol:

As SJC said in his article, don't get blinded by anti India hysteria. If we wanna be respected as a nation, we have to respect others too. :smitten:

Bhai you yourself are free to love :smitten:Endeya.

Just let us decide for ourselves who we love.....:-)

India had 69.3% in 2011 and 86.14% literacy rate for 15-24 years old in 2011 . Any ways well done BD

dude from where are you doing these "observations" ? india's literacy for instance was 40% in 1981 and was 69.3 in 2011 . So ~30% increase in 3 decades . That's what the goal is really to increase 10% per decade and pulling off extra ordinary rise like BD is impossible for india . But we are steady

What about this source?

https://countryeconomy.com/demography/literacy-rate

? did i say anything wrong ? i don't get you

They are world champions in spouting BS anyhow....
stop jumping around india is ahead of bangladesh . We must have added 5% points from 2011 to 2016 . Just that the next survey will be only in 2021 (?) . Till then you can enjoy comparing to India's 2011 literacy rate

stop jumping around india is ahead of bangladesh . We must have added 5% points from 2011 to 2016 . Just that the next survey will be only in 2021 (?) . Till then you can enjoy comparing to India's 2011 literacy rate
At the rate Bangladesh went up in literacy rate in the last 5 years, wouldn't it lead to more embarrassment for India in 2021 when Bangladesh gets a lot ahead? It's not like Bangladesh is currently stagnant irt 2011 and 2016 data.

By 2021, BD will leave India in the dust. BD government almost doubled education expenditure from 4.3 billion in 2016 to 7.8 billion in the 2017-2018 budget (as reported in the article). Building schools in the lesser reached districts. This budget is set to increase a lot more it seems as government is really focusing on education in recent years.

I can see why literacy rate jumped so high. As around 2011, the government added the free books up to 10th grade students (both Bangalis and books in different languages for minorities) and a lot of subsidies and free schools in a lot of places. Since the budget just now almost doubled in 2 years, it should keep maybe not nearly as high but decent pace increasing literacy rate.

Unless India takes some drastic approach to education like the current government of BD has been taking, do you really think India would have any chance of being ahead of BD in 2021 irt to literacy rate?

Last edited:

Ask UIS themselves !! We did 69.3% 5 years ago in 2011. In 2006 it was 63%.

http://data.uis.unesco.org/Index.aspx?queryid=166

You are too good at extrapolating, why don't you try with this one ?

world champions in spouting BS

That would be BAL BS aka BBS...:lol:

At the rate Bangladesh went up in literacy rate in the last 5 years, wouldn't it lead to more embarrassment for India in 2021 when Bangladesh gets a lot ahead? It's not like Bangladesh is currently stagnant irt 2011 and 2016 data.

Aha, more projections....:lol: The 2011 data for Bangladesh is UIS estimation & cannot be used for a direct comparison (check the table in the link)

By 2021, BD will leave India in the dust. BD government almost doubled education expenditure from 4.3 billion in 2016 to almost 7.8 billion in the 2017-2018 budget

Here, help yourself !! It is still way too small as a percentage of GDP.

http://data.uis.unesco.org/index.aspx?queryid=181

Last edited:
Just achieving literacy rate for the sake of it is nothing. A person is deemed literate if he manages basic minimum criteria like writing his own name or reading a sentence and such. Its the higher education and the research that adds value to education. Let others decide how well BD's cope in that area.

Aha, more projections....:lol: The 2011 data for Bangladesh is UIS estimation & cannot be used for comparison (check the table in the link)
Regardless, It's not like literally doubling education spending won't have an effect.

For one, hardly matters when comparing to India in such cases. We are much more efficient as we are almost 3 times denser country. Just look at the health expenditure, we spend less than 1/3rd as much per capita and yet our life expectancy is much higher then India.

And two, 7.8 billion in 2017-2018 financial year budget is over 3% of the GDP. Government is currently focusing much more on education than before, which is clear to see.

Just achieving literacy rate for the sake of it is nothing. A person is deemed literate if he manages basic minimum criteria like writing his own name or reading a sentence and such. Its the higher education and the research that adds value to education. Let others decide how well BD's cope in that area.
It matters. And I don't think countries with lower literacy rates produces more highly educated citizens anyway. You build from ground up. Why give certain children an edge while completely neglect other children in the same country by not even caring about their literacy as long as there are more 'highly educated citizens'? Not a fan of a society where inequality in basic education is seen as acceptable if there are more people highly educated in numbers compared to other countries.

And what makes you think that result would be immediate ?

It has nothing to do with density.
2021 isn't immediate.

Density isn't everything but it's one aspect. Easier to build, manage and assign teachers in one school in a village with 1000 child than to build 3 in 3 villages with 333 child each. Doesn't work on expensive cities but does work on lesser known districts which is what matters. Since more known places already have more opportunities and children there are likely to be literate anyway.

It matters. And I don't think countries with lower literacy rates produces more highly educated citizens anyway. You build from ground up. Why give certain children an edge while completely neglect other children in the same country by not even caring about their literacy as long as there are more 'highly educated citizens'? Not a fan of a society where inequality in basic education is seen as acceptable if there are more people highly educated in numbers compared to other countries.

I said it because it is easy to manipulate literacy rate given it doesn't take much to declare a person literate. And we all know how BBS is adept at that.

But the correct measure to identify a country's educational prowess is to look at its research output because its really hard to fake it. I'll allow you look into your country's research output over the past few years and tell me if the increased education budget is making any difference.

It's 3 years away.
Well, it will have effect later on then. I guess you need 5 years to a decade to get the result of investments in such sectors. Either way, BD will easily get ahead in the foreseeable long run.

I said it because it is easy to manipulate literacy rate given it doesn't take much to declare a person literate. And we all know how BBS is adept at that.

But the correct measure to identify a country's educational prowess is to look at its research output because its really hard to fake it. I'll allow you look into your country's research output over the past few years and tell me if the increased education budget is making any difference.
You can do that in a country where literacy is at 99 to 100%. Countries like ours can and do have more schools near the number of what's needed than universities. Higher education output hardly tells the story of BIMARU states.

We have national exams at 5th grade, 8th, 10th and 12th grade. Government has records of them. That's how they know how many percentage of people are literate. It's not a 'BBS' estimation data.

If anything positive or anything that shows us ahead is considered fake, then why are you here arguing? Everything is fake and India is a superpower. Move on if you have nothing to add to the discussion other than calling everything positive in every thread ''fake''.

Well, it will have effect later on then. I guess you need 5 years to a decade to get the result of investments in such sectors. Either way, BD will easily get ahead in the foreseeable long run.

You can do that in a country where literacy is at 99 to 100%. Countries like ours can and do have more schools near the number of what's needed than universities. Higher education output hardly tells the story of BIMARU states.

We have national exams at 5th grade, 8th, 10th and 12th grade. Government has records of them. That's how they know how many percentage of people are literate. It's not a 'BBS' estimation data.

If anything positive or anything that shows us ahead is considered fake, then why are you here arguing? Everything is fake and India is a superpower. Move on if you have nothing to add to the discussion other than calling everything positive in every thread ''fake''.

Firstly, literacy rate is for entire populace not just school going kids. Your supposed assumption tells me how much you understand about literacy. Now don't tell me BBS has a school record of a 60 year old in your country. My advise, please stop making fool of yourself.

Regarding research output, given your claim that you have exceeded India's literacy rate, can you please compare your research output to ours? I'll give you a hint, We are at least 100 times better.

And I am least bothered about Bangladesh just don't quote India in your threads, then we don't have to come here to show you a mirror.

Last edited:
I can see why literacy rate jumped so high. As around 2011, the government added the free books up to 10th grade students (both Bangalis and books in different languages for minorities)

I am very happy about this part, even knowing how small the minority population is.

Inclusive development is the name of the game, we are way ahead of other countries in the Subcontinent in this regard.

Indigenous kids get books in mother language

indigenous_kids_get_books.jpg

Indigenous children pose for photograph after receiving free textbooks written in their mother languages on the New Year in Rangamati yesterday. Photo: Star

A Correspondent, Rangamati

As many as 12,381 pre-primary students from Chakma, Marma and Tripura communities in the hill district got free textbooks written in their mother languages on the New Year yesterday, thanks to the first ever step by the authorities.

Earlier National Curriculum and Textbook Board took the initiative to publish textbooks in indigenous languages, following a government decision to facilitate learning of ethnic minority children in their own languages.

"This year, 12,381 books have been distributed among the learners of Chakma, Marma and Tripura communities in the district. Gradually all the indigenous students will get mother tongue-based schooling," said Mofizul Islam, assistant education officer, Rangamati.

Appreciating the government initiative, Suman Chakma, a guardian, said, "Schooling with own alphabet and language will help our kids to learn with ease."

“We hope that all the indigenous learners will get textbooks in their own language from next year," said Brisho Ketu Chakma, chairman of Rangamati hill district council.

Back
Top Bottom