What's new

Underground Metro: First one by 2026

That's why they should have built the metro back in 80's or 90's.

When will elevated expressway be completed?

You didnt have the money back in 80s and 90s...you barely have much right now. This is about the earliest you could start...maybe 5 years ago if you are gonna push it.

Yes, it is a good question. Is that Ital-Thai thief company is continuing with this project? It is already half a decade we are hearing about this project. Maybe another full decade will be needed. By the way, @TopCat was telling of hundred of SEZ/EPZ, but only last week some Chinese company was awarded the contract to construct Mirsharai. How about the progress of other ninety nine?

I always said, dont read half of the story.

So, tell us the whole story instead of making a short story that is defined as, "Shesh hoiyao hoilona shesh".

If you read half the story, one would think Aladdin never got to marry the princess...

If you read half the story, one would think the Mongols conquered the whole world.

So let us see what "Aladdin skyscraper = 100% done, just needs to get started" as said many times by Biman Babu Khan the great of the shonar horde....has to say to complete the story!

@Mage

So, tell us the whole story instead of making a short story that is defined as, "Shesh hoiyao hoilona shesh".
The Chinese company got the work order from Bshundara to develop Bashundara group's part of SEZ who got allottment in Morsararai. Its a private company to company deal.

Soil testing work for MRT-1 (Subway) started. After completion of soil testing, construction work will begin.

any plans from not getting it flooded as bd is underwater ..........

I always said, dont read half of the story.

I swear half (or more) of our time is spent responding to inane questions from these idiot false-flaggers, attention-seeking trolls and desi information-whores who are too lazy to use Google. I have completed 'ignoring' all of them by now, and don't waste my time in this manner. Who owes answers to these morons??

any plans from not getting it flooded as bd is underwater ..........

Not all of Bangladesh soil condition is a wet droopy mess you know. :-)

Northern part of Dhaka (Savar, Tangail) is actually pretty old red soil structure and not even alluvial soil. In any case, runoff water management and waterproofing in wet season is part of the project scope.

My guess is that the construction will be 'cut and cover' instead of 'tunnel boring'.

iu

One line by 2020 and two lines by 2026....Don't like the pace at all. And they plan on finishing all the lines by 2030.

Well don't be so quick to diss the pace in Bangladesh, bad mouthing our own. Some Indian projects like for example, MMRCA (underground) in Mumbai started in 2013 and will be completed in 2021 (eight years planned, may possibly be delayed further). Similar paces like eight to ten years for underground metro projects around the world are normal.

Now a warning to trolls, false-flaggers and Sanghis, don't start off-topic posts discussing MMRCA and how great it is - this is not the thread, nor the subforum for it. I will promptly report your off topic posts and a ban will be forthcoming from the mods.

A link to a separate thread for MMRCA is fine.

MMRCA was just an on-hand example I used - like dozens around the world just to show the average gestation period of these projects.

Last edited:
If you read half the story, one would think Aladdin never got to marry the princess...

If you read half the story, one would think the Mongols conquered the whole world.

So let us see what "Aladdin skyscraper = 100% done, just needs to get started" as said many times by Biman Babu Khan the great of the shonar horde....has to say to complete the story!

@Mage
Aladin sky scrapper may remain a fiction but Mongol power was not. When I read the history centered on China I find the word Mongol was first used by Chengiz Khan for the entire nation he was leading. By physical features Mongols, Tatar, Turkic (not Turkey of today), Ruran and nearby some others were interchangeable. They were called in different names at different times.

Mongols controlled entire central Asia, the southern part of Russia, Hungary, China as well as the Muslim Caliphate at the time of Halaku Khan. Halaku killed Caliph Mustakim Billa under hooves of the horse. Finally, the same people started to be called by different names.

Last edited:
It will be tunnel boring... There is no point in underground tunnel if you have to move the existing surface infrastructure.

Well might be a combination of both. Not all places are heavily built up, and of course cut-n-cover has cost advantages. You use expensive tunnel boring in two places, where there are existing buildings (like in Motijheel downtown area for example) or where there is mountains and hills (like in Chittagong).

Where cut-n-cover is practical, it is used because of lower cost. I can guarantee it will be used in North Dhaka where there are lots of open areas.

Well might be a combination of both. Not all places are heavily built up, and of course cut-n-cover has cost advantages. You use expensive tunnel boring in two places, where there are existing buildings (like in Motijheel downtown area for example) or where there is mountains and hills (like in Chittagong).

Where cut-n-cover is practical, it is used because of lower cost. I can guarantee it will be used in North Dhaka where there are lots of open areas.
Cut & cover might be possible in Hemayetpur- Amin Bazar (Savar) section. Lots of land open both side of the roads, so they won't have to dig up the roads or utilities.

But it's impossible inside Metropolitan Dhaka. It will only bring harsh public suffering.

Seems like they are going with overhead line where there are no surface structure.

Cut & cover might be possible in Hemayetpur- Amin Bazar (Savar) section. Lots of land open both side of the roads, so they won't have to dig up the roads or utilities.

But it's impossible inside Metropolitan Dhaka. It will only bring harsh public suffering.

They used cut and cover in the 70's in Kolkata, when it was already densely populated. Question of planning comes in to minimize suffering of course, but sometimes buildings have to go and utilities have to be re-routed.

Look at the Turag river bank demolishing situation now and the BGMEA bldg. in Hatirjheel which is going to go - which wasn't in the way of anything. Rangs Bhaban in previous decades had to go because they had to build a highway overpass connector....

Seems like they are going with overhead line where there are no surface structure.

Who knows why, maybe cost is a reason. These are the next two routes to be built - I don't know what the number of the new one to Purbachal is. Notice below how one is underground (Line 1) and the other is not (I believe some idiot switched the legend for the station colors/types).

Badda, Rampura, Malibagh and Kamalapur are all unplanned growth areas with no zoning so underground construction is a must. Dhaka is a highly f*cked up city as far as zoning, with no zoning enforcement, people encroaching into main and side roads etc. Horrible.

I am guessing soil strength could also be a factor in what mode is chosen.

iu

Back
Top Bottom