Homo Sapiens

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh

PM inaugurates construction work of underground metro​

Photo: TBS

Photo: TBS

Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina has inaugurated the construction work of the country's first underground metro rail, MRT Line 1, by the Shitalaksha River in Pitalganj village about a kilometre south of the Kanchan Bridge along the 14-lane Purbachal Expressway.

She inaugurated the MRT-1 construction at a ceremony held in Purbachal New Town Project in Rupganj, Narayanganj, on Thursday (2 February).

The joint venture of Japan's Tokyu Construction and local Max Infrastructure has assembled dozens of excavators and other equipment in the construction yard to start the development work following the inauguration.

The Executive Committee of the National Economic Council (Ecnec) approved the MRT Line 1 to develop an underground metro rail from the capital's Airport to Kamlapur with an elevated link from Natunbazar to Purbachal on 15 October 2019.

The Japan International Cooperation Agency (Jica) will provide a soft loan of Tk39450.32 crore, which is about 75% of the total project cost.

The 31.241 km rail line will have 19 stations, of which 12 are underground. A total of 25 trains, each having eight coaches, will operate on the line.

The project will be implemented in 12 packages with the construction work of package 1, which includes soil improvement and development on the 35.90-hectare land for the depot, to be inaugurated on Thursday.

The joint venture of Tokyu Construction and Max Infrastructure were awarded the package with an estimated cost of TK 607.65 crore.

Officials said 27,770 passengers will be able to ride each hour in the proposed line of the metro service and the daily number of riders will reach 1,88,7200 in 2025.

The Dhaka Mass Transit Company Limited (DMTCL) officials said that the travel time from Kolhapur to Airport will drop to 24.3 minutes from 139 minutes after the metro rail service opens, saving 85% travel time.

The line will also help save 70% travel time on the Purbachal to Natun Bazar line and 82% on Purbachal to Kamlapur line.
MAN Siddique, managing director of DMTCL, said that the proposed metro rail will reduce traffic congestion and save time for the city dwellers.

Tini feeta ketesen - shokoley hat-taali diyesey !

Hokkoley bolen Sobhanallah !!

Allahr Oli choli aichhey !!!

@bluesky bhai ki bolen?

Congrats and welcome to the club. Hope for a rapid expansion of the network.

Here's Tehran's current heavy metro (MRT) map after some 23 years of operation :

Tehran_Metro_map-geo.png

6 inner city underground lines totaling 155,8 km.

2 overland suburban commuter lines with an overall length of 97,9 km.

Number of stations: 145.

Ridership: 2,5 million per day, 820 million trips per year.

To date, approximately half the network projected in the master plan has been completed.

Population: ~9 million (city proper), ~15 million (agglomeration). Dhaka may need a system up to twice as extensive.

Last edited:
Congrats and welcome to the club. Hope for a rapid expansion of the network.

Here's Tehran's current heavy metro (MRT) map after some 23 years of operation :

Tehran_Metro_map-geo.png

6 inner city underground lines totaling 155,8 km.

2 overland suburban commuter lines with an overall length of 97,9 km.

Number of stations: 145.

Ridership: 2,5 million per day, 820 million trips per year.

Population: ~9 million (city proper), ~15 million (agglomeration).

Masha-Allah very nice brother. Iran is a much richer country than we are.

And Tehran is far better planned. Ours is a bit of a mess. Will take time to shape up.

Masha-Allah very nice brother. Iran is a much richer country than we are.

And Tehran is far better planned. Ours is a bit of a mess. Will take time to shape up.

InshAllah it will be sorted out baradar (Tehran has flaws too, mega-cities are challenging to manage). Japanese partners will surely offer a neat service. I know nothing about Bangladesh's economic ties but wouldn't Chinese firms have represented a cost-effective option (Iran partnered with them, although always gradually indigenizing as much as possible)?

Last edited:
InshAllah it will be sorted out (Tehran has its flaws too, mega-cities are challenging to manage). Japanese partners will surely offer neat a service. I know nothing about Bangladesh's economic ties but wouldn't Chinese firms have represented a cost-effective option?

Chinese firms are involved in many other mega-projects like 7/8KM long bridges, underwater tunnels, rail projects worth hundreds of KMs, Water sanitation projects, submarine overhaul and refueling bases etc.

Here's a list - I'd say over 40% are being done by Chinese companies via Govt.-to-govt. arrangements, ask me and I will tell you who is doing what.

Chinese firms are involved in many other mega-projects like 7/8KM long bridges, underwater tunnels, rail projects worth hundreds of KMs, Water sanitation projects, submarine overhaul and refueling bases etc.

Here's a list - I'd say over 40% are being done by Chinese companies via Govt.-to-govt. arrangements, ask me and I will tell you who is doing what.

Thanks, brother. Will do after studying the list if there are questions.

I am sure they made their feasibility study on the traffic pattern and trips made (Revised strategic transport plan), but I cannot really fathom people taking the MRT-1 from the airport all the way back to Kamalapur (with all their luggage) just so they can catch a train to say Narayanganj or points beyond (Faridpur, Jessore etc.). 4 pieces of Luggage is a huge factor, this ain't happening.

People might be using the Airport station (which is being upgraded) for surface rail (not MRT-1) then for CTG or other Eastern cities like Cumilla, B-Baria or Noakhali.

So I think the main ridership for MRT-1 North South connector (blue line below) will be office worker or commuters along the busy corridor of Kamlapur, Malibagh, Rampura, Badda and Bashundhara. From Kamlapur they will be able to get an interchange to MRT-6 which is already built or other MRTs in the future.

Another boost will be affected in 2nd phase when the MRT-1 North end is extended from the Airport to Gazipur past Joydevpur, Tongi and Uttara. At that time we will get Joydevpur and Gazipur industrial workers and office commuters take MRT-1 to come in to the city for urgent commutes. 100 Taka is a little high for some people for a 24 KM trip though.

The above-ground side off-shoot of MRT-1 to Purbachal (Orange line below) will see very little ridership, though the terminal and depot will be at the end of the line there.

EhW5pA8.jpeg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0u1bsm4udyb71.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are all the MRT's and circular road/rail networks rolled in together in the ADB plan. The Red line below (and above) I believe is MRT-1.
route_permit3.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

pvpytgz74pv11.png

Please speak out if the diagrams are confusing - I have studied this quite a bit and can possibly explain why lines go to certain locations and what they connect to (Surface commuter looping local trains or long distance intercity MG/BG rail as well as Intercity Bus depots etc.).

Last edited:
I am sure they made their feasibility study on the traffic pattern and trips made (Revised strategic transport plan), but I cannot really fathom people taking the MRT-1 from the airport all the way back to Kamalapur (with all their luggage) just so they can catch a train to say Narayanganj or points beyond (Faridpur, Jessore etc.). 4 pieces of Luggage is a huge factor, this ain't happening.
From Airport, some people will be bound for Kamalapur, but intervening stops like Jamuna Future Park, Malibag, Hatirjheel, gulshan Notun Bazar, Badda, Khilkhet will get a lot of passengers. Kamalapur is going to be a multimodal hub. Many people will land in Kamalapur from trains from different districts and will use Subway to reach various destinations towards Airport.

Kamalapur will also be the terminal station of MRT-6 now operating. So anyone who want to make a trip to from Mirpur by MRT-6 to Motiheel-Kamalapur-Malibagh-Gulshan Notun Bazar will have to use this subway. So there will be no shortage of passengers in this subway.

Last edited:
Many people will land in Kamalapur from trains from different districts and will use Subway to reach various destinations towards Airport.

Most of the Eastern Zone trains pass through the airport station on the way to Kamalapur. I know Sylhet and Chittagong ones do.

I stand corrected about Purbachal too. I realized that - that area will soon become rather high density once all the subdivisions are built up. So the stations actually may need to be increased or beefed up in scale, especially the one near the planned cricket stadium.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom