What's new

UN report- Kerala is the only state in India remaining in the very high HDI

Shabz Nist

Reaction score
Country
India
Kerala example draws U.N. praise

Kerala provides an empirical example to show how it is possible to achieve both growth and improved income distribution through human development, a United Nations working paper has said.

The document also estimates substantial losses in human development due to inequality in different dimensions across Indian States.

Among three dimensions – education, health and income – the potential lost due to inequalities is the highest in education, while the extent of inequality is staggering in health.

The loss due to inequality is the highest with respect to education (43 per cent), followed by health (34 per cent), and income (16 per cent). In other words, the potential lost due to inequality is the highest in the education sector. The rank correlation with human development index (HDI) across States is the highest for income, followed by education and health.

The average loss due to inequality in India is 32 per cent at the all-India level. It is the highest for Madhya Pradesh (36 per cent) and Chhattisgarh (35 per cent) and the lowest for Kerala (17 per cent).

The loss due to inequality is higher than the national average in Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan, Jharkhand, Orissa, Uttarakhand, and Arunachal Pradesh. These are the States which need serious attention in promoting access to education and health facilities to reduce inequalities in these dimensions and reduce the loss in human development, the paper suggests.

Kerala is the only State in the country which remains in the ‘very high human development index (HDI)’ with respect to all the three dimensions, both with and without adjustment for inequality. In addition, Nagaland, Mizoram, and Punjab fare well by most of the indicators, with and without the adjustment for inequality.

The document – Human Development in India: Costs of Inequality, a working paper brought out for the International Policy Centre for Inclusive Growth of the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) – seeks to quantify the loss in human development due to inequalities in these three dimensions across States in India.

This is done using the methodology to estimate a new index called the Inequality-adjusted Human Development Index (IHDI), proposed by the UNDP. An estimate of the loss has been expressed as a percentage of HDI. The document is authored by M.H. Suryanarayan of the Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, and Ankush Agrawal of the Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi.

.Unlike an income redistribution strategy for a given income level, which would involve net transfers between two segments of the population through instruments such as taxes and subsidies, the option to reduce inequality in health and education would not involve any transfer or redistribution. Instead, it would call for an improvement in the health and education status of the deprived sections of the population.

The average loss because of inequality in income is 16 per cent at the all-India level. It is the highest for Maharashtra (19 per cent), followed by Tamil Nadu (17 per cent), and the lowest for Manipur (4 per cent). Maharashtra, which ranks eighth in the country based on the income dimension index, ranks 17th after the adjustment for income inequality.

All the States except the economically poorer such as Bihar, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Orissa, and Uttar Pradesh (including the newly carved States of Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, and Uttarakhand) and Assam and Arunachal Pradesh fare as well as or better than the nation as a whole in terms of sub-index for the education dimension.

The loss in the education component on account of inequality at the all-India level is 43 per cent. The loss is the highest in Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan, and Jharkhand (46 per cent) and the lowest in Mizoram (17 per cent) and Kerala (23 per cent). The education index is the highest for Kerala (0.915), followed by Nagaland (0.905), and Himachal Pradesh (0.790), and the lowest for Orissa (0.281), and Madhya Pradesh (0.337).

The loss due to inequality is more than that at the national level in Karnataka, Haryana, Chhattisgarh, Uttarakhand, Arunachal Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir, Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Madhya Pradesh, Jharkhand, Rajasthan, and Uttar Pradesh.

The average loss due to inequality in health is 34 per cent. It is the highest in Chhattisgarh and Madhya Pradesh (43 per cent) and the lowest in Kerala (11 per cent). As far as ranking is concerned, Kerala (0.854) ranks first, followed by Punjab (0.782) and the seven north-eastern States (0.768 each). Madhya Pradesh (0.601) and Assam (0.616) are last in terms of the sub-index for health

Nagaland (0.987) ranks first in terms of income index, followed by Kerala (0.953) and Punjab (0.915). The lowest ranked are Bihar (0.498) and Orissa (0.504). The loss due to inequality is 16 per cent at the national level.

Indian achievement in terms of the normalised HDI with reference to the international yardstick is 0.504 ranking in the category of ‘medium human development’ countries. It falls short of the world average, which is 0.624.

Kerala example draws U.N. praise | The Hindu

@hinduguy that the story everywhere not only in kerala
@Shabz Nist nice..but ths shows there is a long way to go for India in human development

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess we need to do a lot more..... Especially in tribal belts. Wynad, Attappadi etc etc..... But I am sure the way NGO's and media highlighting the issue government had to work on that too....

But we need to appreciate the effort put in by PHC's and their workers..... You should see the way they work in Villages (i dono if we can call them villages anymore).... They are the backbone of this achievement.....

We are not printing it nor they give it for free ...

You are right some guys think we pring riyals and dinars in kerala :P

Its about the time we declare Kerala to be an Independent nation,from the evil Indian rule! Azad Kerala zindabad!:lol:

I read somewhere else, 25 Lakh(2.5 million) labours mostly from W.Bengal,Orissa,Bihar,Assam etc living in Kerala and in horrible condition. why no statistics talks about them? they live in absolutely horrible condition.
isn't 25 lakh people a substantial amount for a state with 3.25 crore population?

Kerala is the only state in India "remaining" in the very high-

There was no other state which had a high living standard!

Anyways, congrats to Kerala!

A high education level, good health care and a decent GDP per capita (PPP).... AND NO, its NOT Arabian money.... just google the definition of GDP and see yourself....

We need to achieve more ,Mainly in Tribal areas .....

We are not printing it nor they give it for free ...

I didn't mean that.. I know Indian work hard to earn money in Arab. I know how Arabs Humiliate Indian, Pakistani and BDi workers. My Kerlite brothers work hard to earn that money..

All I am saying that Kerla state have not done anything significant to improve HDI. Kerla is developed by will of Kerlites, They invested there money in education and tourism.

I didn't mean that.. I know Indian work hard to earn money in Arab. I know how Arabs Humiliate Indian, Pakistani and BDi workers. My Kerlite brothers work hard to earn that money..

All I am saying that Kerla state have not done anything to improve HDI..

I don't quite agree. There are so many case studies by international agencies examine how their state achieved very high HDI. Particularly cited, were the consistent government efforts (princely government and the state government) to push for greater education and social reforms. There is also the heavy missionary influence.

All I am saying that Kerla state have not done anything significant to improve HDI. Kerla is developed by will of Kerlites, They invested there money in education and tourism.

State done lot of things in the early stages ,Free education ,Free lunch in school (many sent their children to school due to that) ,Land reforms which gave agricultural land to farmers ..etc

Its about the time we declare Kerala to be an Independent nation,from the evil Indian rule! Azad Kerala zindabad!:lol:

bro, don't say that we all are indians. once Bombay, Delhi, kolkatta were high in human development index if they demanded separate state, India will not achieve this growth. Kerala is a state where no corrupted politicians from central shown interest. and we rise by our own.

With more and more foreign labours being removed from Gulf countries, Kerala will face huge problem.

Back
Top Bottom