UK fails to woo Taliban with £1.5m bribe

KashifAsrar

Reaction score
ToI feed, dated 23 July 2007.
Kashif

UK fails to woo Taliban with £1.5m bribe

Money Offered To End Afghan Strife

Christina Lamb

Britain has spent more than £1.5 million in Afghanistan this year on a controversial scheme to bribe members of the Taliban to lay down their arms, even though it has failed to persuade any significant figures to defect.
The money was allocated in January and May after the killings of two top commanders, Mullah Osmani and Mullah Dadullah, and the arrest of Mullah Obaidullah, all members of the Taliban’s ruling shura, or council.
British officials expected this would lead to a dip in Taliban morale and encourage less extremist members to cross over, fearing that they were on the losing side — the so-called “Dadullah effect”.
Instead, heavy fighting has continued in the southern province of Helmand, where British forces have suffered 23 deaths so far this year. The only Taliban who have defected have mostly been foot soldiers, of whom there seems to be an unlimited supply, both from the madrasaas in Pakistan and among disillusioned Afghans. :smitten:
“It hasn’t had the results we’d hoped,” admitted a senior Foreign Office official, “though not for want of effort on our part.” :chilli:
The news comes as David Miliband, the foreign secretary, prepares to fly to Afghanistan and Pakistan this week for his first key trip in his new post.
Afghanistan has been chosen to show the commitment of Gordon Brown’s government to what it still regards as “a winnable war”, and to try to persuade Nato allies to step up their contributions.
Britain has 7,100 troops in Afghanistan — more than in Iraq — and officials no longer talk of withdrawal dates. The British ambassador to Kabul said recently that the country may take 30 years to stabilise. Senior military figures have been warning that Afghanistan could end up worse than Iraq.
Lord Inge, former chief of the defence staff, told the House of Lords this month that it was time “to face up to the consequence of strategic failure in Afghanistan and what that would mean for Nato”.
Last week a report by the Commons defence committee painted an alarming picture of spreading insurgency, insufficient troops and helicopters and confusion over strategy.
“The idea was to shake people up,” said James Arbuthnot, the Conservative chairman of the committee. “The international community as a whole is looking at Afghanistan as if a curious mime is being carried out that has no bearing on their lives.” He added: “If Nato can’t patrol the border between Afghanistan and Pakistan ... the insurgents will come one way and drugs the other.” SUNDAY TIMES, LONDON

Body of German hostage found

The body of one of two Germans kidnapped in southern Afghanistan was found on Sunday, a provincial police chief said. Police recovered the body of the man, who was abducted on Wednesday in the Jaghato district of southern Wardak province, provincial police chief Hewas Mohammad Muslim said. Taliban militants had claimed to have shot dead both of the Germans after Kabul and Berlin failed to contact the rebels for talks. AFP

So are you happy that the brisitsh failed to bribe the talebans?

Yes im unhappy and worried.

Kidding Man. Don't take it seriousely. :smitten:
I was wondering that these NATO forces have decided to rule and capture the country through BRIBING. Do not it look HILLARIOUS !:woot:
It does look so to me. Did not they understand that theer is $ 50 million bounty on OSAMA and not a single AFGHAN has ever come to reveal about him? How insane they can go, I wonder.
Kashif

I guess, the British would go down as the most stupidest people in the 21st century, after having ruled for most of the 20th century.

Uk has become Amercian ***, getting tagged along everwhere the US plans its military endeavors. Wonder if they even have an independent foriegn policy anymore Or are they depending on BUSH. Now, thats hilarious Bush leading US and UK

If one remmembers, during the initial phase of the war most british troop were killed in friendly fire, from the US. Such a waste of life and resources!!

Kidding Man. Don't take it seriousely. :smitten:
I was wondering that these NATO forces have decided to rule and capture the country through BRIBING. Do not it look HILLARIOUS !:woot:
It does look so to me. Did not they understand that theer is $ 50 million bounty on OSAMA and not a single AFGHAN has ever come to reveal about him? How insane they can go, I wonder.
Kashif

When im opposed to taleban i doesnt mean im with the others. There are occassions where you will have to chose the lesser of 2 evils.

Its good for the world if taleban can be defeated or tackled by somebody.

They have money that they can throw, they dont want to be kill or be killed. I commend them for doing the right thing

:sniper: why r u happy?

Any England pussies should come out and kill them. They should be embarrassed about them self i mean offering bribe to terrorists?

I love it when nitwits like you who have no clue and take badly written reports as being some kind of reality. You don't know where that money is going and how it is being spent so feel free to keep your **** comments to yourself. How long did it take to resolve the las masjid situation?

Long haul fight to defeat the Taleban
By Alastair Leithead
BBC News, Afghanistan

The battles may be raging in Helmand province, the suicide and roadside bombs are killing people across the country, but the Taleban have been hit hard by Nato's spring offensive.

They admit themselves that the targeted killings of some senior commanders took the thrust out of their own planned spring attacks.

And their biggest loss was Mullah Dadullah - a ruthless military commander whose brutality repulsed even his own fellow Taleban leaders.

The British Special Boat Service (SBS) killed him in Helmand in May after a raid on a compound where his associates were meeting.

Success stories

There are many stories of betrayal, of his false leg being stolen so he couldn't get away, of his body being recovered from a river by his followers, but it seems careful intelligence-gathering and a lot of luck culminated in the removal of one of the most wanted Taleban targets.

And it came on the back of two other success stories for foreign forces.

THE MOST WANTED TALEBAN
Taleban fighters
Mullah Mohammed Omar: The spiritual leader of the Taleban - a reclusive man currently thought to be in Pakistan.
Mullah Berader: The commander who has probably taken over from captured former Taleban Defence Minister Mullah Obaidullah.
Akhtar Mohammad Mansour: A Taleban commander responsible for military operations in Kandahar, but based in Quetta.
Abdul Rahim: The Taleban's "shadow governor" in Helmand and a key figure in the insurgency.
Qari Faiz Mohammad: Chairman of the Taleban military council and a major financier with close links to Mullah Omar.
Mullah Mahmood Baluch: Active in Helmand and with links to smugglers, he may have been killed recently.
Naim Bareech: a man known to have links with Taleban command structures.
Dadullah Mansour: Mullah Dadullah's brother who is believed to be running southern military operations.

First the killing of Mullah Akhtar Mohammad Osmani, reportedly the head of Taleban operations in southern Afghanistan, in December last year in an air strike and then the arrest of Mullah Obaidullah, the former Taleban defence minister, who is now believed to be in Pakistani custody.

"I think it is a big achievement on the part of the US and its allies, because they have been able to eliminate top commanders," says Rahimullah Yusufzai, a journalist based in Pakistan who knows the Taleban well.

"The Americans, Nato and Pakistani forces will now try to get the remaining people on the Taleban council, and if that can be done then the back of Taleban resistance would be broken."

And the commander of Nato's International Security Assistance Force (Isaf), the American general Dan McNeill, certainly believes they are on the right track.

"We're having success in killing or capturing mid or lower level battle field type leaders, I think we're having pretty good success there," he said.

"It causes some disruption in their ability to prosecute action, and we think as long as we continue with that technique we will severely disrupt them."

There's been a lot of talk of a change in tactics, and there has been an increase in the number of suicide bombs this year, a recent one in Kabul being the most deadly yet.

But this is an insurgency with many layers, with different elements and opportunists using the instability for their own personal as well as ideological reasons.

There were many suicide and roadside bomb attacks last year, and their strategy is constantly being adapted in different areas.

In Helmand province, in the south, it's guerrilla war. There are front line positions which have been held for months.

Taleban fighters snipe at British positions, they return fire with overwhelming force of artillery, rockets and air power to "suppress the enemy", which does not necessarily kill that many Taleban.

Nato forces take ground but risk Taleban fighters slipping into areas behind them - opening themselves up to the roadside bombings that have been so effective in Iraq and appear to be growing in sophistication here.

But it's striking to the heart of the organisation that intelligence sources believe is the only way of defeating the insurgency.

Killing high level commanders will clearly have an impact on the Taleban's direction, tactics and morale, and the international strategy is to use this to persuade less extremist Taleban fighters to give up their guns and go over to the other side - that of the government.

But reconciliation is a slow process - even Dr Najibullah Mujadidi, the deputy director of the "Strengthening Peace" programme behind the initiative - cannot name off the top of his head any major figures who have been reconciled so far.

One he did mention was Mullah Salam Zaeef, the former Taleban ambassador to Pakistan who is back in Afghanistan.

His "cooperation" is in exchange for being freed from Guantanamo Bay and being placed under house arrest in Kabul.

'Feeling sadness'

There are few incentives to give up the insurgency and his definition of what the Taleban are makes for concerning reading for Western forces.

"The Taleban is not one, they are not two, they are not hundred, they are not thousand, they are not tens of thousands, the Taleban have millions in this country," said Mullah Zaeef.

"The foreigners want to kill them all or to vanish them, but we do not want Taleban to be killed, we are feeling sadness because they are our brothers, and this is not acceptable to us."

So much for reconciliation. This is an insurgency with a life of its own now. While targeting commanders helps, persuading the people to drive the more extremist Taleban leaders out is the only way this insurgency can be beaten.

I love it when nitwits like you who have no clue and take badly written reports as being some kind of reality. You don't know where that money is going and how it is being spent so feel free to keep your **** comments to yourself. How long did it take to resolve the las masjid situation?

Pak army didn't offered money to lal masjid fanatics because the only language they understand is this :sniper: .

Yes, they waited until it became a political embarrassment until they acted. The money is going to tribal leaders. What they are trying to do is reduce the number of people they have to fight. I f you haven't noticed they have been killing idiots left right and centre. And since most of them are hiding in NWFP what does that say?

when people so poverty stricken like the taliban refuse billions cause they love their religion and their prophet and wont change their ways i think we might be seeing the true muslims.

Well I am reminded of a line from the film "The good the bad and the ugly" where Clint Eastwood says to someone "god is not on your side because he doesn't like idiots either....." Funnily enough these hugely religious people are creating lots of drugs such as opium. So don't really need to accept money from anyone........

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/07/09/070709fa_fact_anderson

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=34814976-7f4f-40f3-870e-a25c0f427920&k=97691

http://defensenews.com/story.php?F=2656001&C=navwar

I hope your next I.P. check will register to Afghanistan......Where you are living a "true muslim" life. Not in the land of infidels like Australia. Make sure to burn your visa/passport on the way out in case temptation makes you stray from the "true" path:disagree:

Well I am reminded of a line from the film "The good the bad and the ugly" where Clint Eastwood says to someone "god is not on your side because he doesn't like idiots either....." Funnily enough these hugely religious people are creating lots of drugs such as opium. So don't really need to accept money from anyone........

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/07/09/070709fa_fact_anderson

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=34814976-7f4f-40f3-870e-a25c0f427920&k=97691

http://defensenews.com/story.php?F=2656001&C=navwar

I hope your next I.P. check will register to Afghanistan......Where you are living a "true muslim" life. Not in the land of infidels like Australia. Make sure to burn your visa/passport on the way out in case temptation makes you stray from the "true" path:disagree:

This is a good sign, you are talking like me....:azn:

Back
Top Bottom