What's new

UAE, Turkey launch land transit corridor crossing Iran

If they want to go by land, can't they just go through Saudi Arabia and Iraq?

Not really seeing the point of this.
If this news is true, maybe they want an independent option. A new era of business first

It would be easier if Oman and Iran built it, since Oman owns the Peninsular tip closest to Iran. Plus Oman has a role of a neutral player in the region, so probably will face less opposition from the Saudi's.
if the decision even be made to make such corridor , that several kilometer won't make any change .

If the UAE is cleared to build a corridor like this with Iran, perhaps Iran could also be a route for Qatari natural gas to Europe and Asia. If Iran can’t supply Europe and Asia, at least it could earn from transit trade.

A Qatari pipeline could go across the shared gas field with Iran, and split with one going to Europe via Turkey and a second going to a Pakistan and then on to China. It would be a non-Russian source of natural gas and diversify energy supplies for both Europe and Asia.

If Iran sorted out its relations, and started exporting gas to either Europe and Asia, the Qatari pipeline would have set up a lot of the infrastructure for Iran to build out its own pipelines along side it.

If the UAE is cleared to build a corridor like this with Iran, perhaps Iran could also be a route for Qatari natural gas to Europe and Asia. If Iran can’t supply Europe and Asia, at least it could earn from transit trade.

A Qatari pipeline could go across the shared gas field with Iran, and split with one going to Europe via Turkey and a second going to a Pakistan and then on to China. It would be a non-Russian source of natural gas and diversify energy supplies for both Europe and Asia.

If Iran sorted out its relations, and started exporting gas to either Europe and Asia, the Qatari pipeline would have set up a lot of the infrastructure for Iran to build out its own pipelines along side it.

I think Europe would rather be reliant on Russian gas than to have any dependency on Qatar/Iran.

I think Europe would rather be reliant on Russian gas than to have any dependency on Qatar/Iran.

Then it’s Asia all the way I guess. A pipeline through Iran to Pakistan and then forking to Both China and India would be a solid long term market for the Qataris, independent of the rest of the GCC, while they could still send via ship to stay independent of the Iranians.

Then it’s Asia all the way I guess. A pipeline through Iran to Pakistan and then forking to Both China and India would be a solid long term market for the Qataris, independent of the rest of the GCC, while they could still send via ship to stay independent of the Iranians.
This will probably happen someday. Although the gas field production and distribution would likely be a jointly invested operation considering it is shared.

Back
Top Bottom