UAE announces $9.75bn Greek investment project

al-Hasani

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Saudi Arabia
By Andy Sambidge Tuesday, 6 May 2014 6:23 PM

Sheikh Abdullah Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, UAE foreign minister
The UAE on Tuesday announced the launch of a $9.75 billion investment project in Greece which will include the redevelopment of a former Athens airport.

Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan, the UAE's Foreign Minister, said in comments published by news agency WAM that Abu Dhabi-based Al Maabar International Investment will execute the multi-phase project.

Sheikh Abdullah said the project is expected, when complete, to generate more than 50,000 job opportunities.

The 6.2 million sq m site will be developed over a number of years, with work expecting to begin in 2016.

Its built up area of approximately 3 million sq m will include retail, residential, leisure, hotels and office space. The development offers 3.5km of coastline and a 2 million sq m metropolitan park, which will be one of the world's largest.

Sheikh Abdullah also announced that Abu Dhabi Investment Council had made a bid for acquiring the luxury Astir Palace Resort, Athens, and that Abu Dhabi National Energy Company and Greece's Terna Energy would sign a framework agreement for exploring potential investment opportunities in the energy sector in Greece.

The minister announced the multi-billion dollar developments during his opening remarks at the second meeting of the UAE-Greece Joint Ministerial Committee in Athens, which he co-chaired with Greek Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister, Evangelos Venizelo.

In his speech, Sheikh Abdullah emphasised that the UAE was eager to boost its economic, investment and trade relations with Greece.

"Greece is one of the key partners for the UAE, and I would like to confirm that the second meeting of the joint committee provides a precious opportunity to strengthen and leverage bilateral ties and to present practical ideas and solutions that could help in removing any obstacles hindering progress of these ties," he said.

UAE announces $9.75bn Greek investment project - Banking & Finance - ArabianBusiness.com

Sheikh Abdullah said the project is expected, when complete, to generate more than 50,000 job opportunities.

They are investing in a sinking ship.

Actually,with investements like this,Greece will pick up.....on top of these think of the indirect jobs...huge revenue.Greece scored with this one.

Actually,with investements like this,Greece will pick up.....on top of these think of the indirect jobs...huge revenue.Greece scored with this one.

Previous investments by other Nations had disappointing results, I doubt it would work on a long term basis.

They are investing in a sinking ship.

You are underestimating geography here. Greece is basically a neighbor of the Arab world. It is one of the routes that connects the Arab world/ME/North Africa with Europe.

Greece is always bound to have tourists. Plenty of them. UAE is rarely doing bad business. They have a very impressive track record.

Previous investments by other Nations had disappointing results, I doubt it would work on a long term basis.

Not saying Ney or Yey here...just that this particular investment it's a huge boost for them ...after all it's some 10 billion $ with 50.000 jobs generating revenues and more jobs on the horizontal job ladder....it's huge,let's be honest.I can only dream for such an investment in my country,10 billion on a whim :yes4:

Not saying Ney or Yey here...just that this particular investment it's a huge boost for them ...after all it's some 10 billion $ with 50.000 jobs generating revenues and more jobs on the horizontal job ladder....it's huge,let's be honest.I can only dream for such an investment in my country,10 billion on a whim :yes4:

The UAE on Tuesday announced the launch of a $9.75 billion investment project in Greece which will include the redevelopment of a former Athens airport.

The 6.2 million sq m site will be developed over a number of years, with work expecting to begin in 2016.
Its built up area of approximately 3 million sq m will include retail, residential, leisure, hotels and office space. The development offers 3.5km of coastline and a 2 million sq m metropolitan park, which will be one of the world's largest.

Sheikh Abdullah also announced that Abu Dhabi Investment Council had made a bid for acquiring the luxury Astir Palace Resort, Athens, and that Abu Dhabi National Energy Company and Greece's Terna Energy would sign a framework agreement for exploring potential investment opportunities in the energy sector in Greece.

It's basically a long-term multi-phase project. Not just a few fancy hotel/residential projects.

You are underestimating geography here. Greece is basically a neighbor of the Arab world. It is one of the routes that connects the Arab world/ME/North Africa with Europe.

Greece is always bound to have tourists. Plenty of them. UAE is rarely doing bad business. They have a very impressive track record.

I've no problem with U.A.E investing in Greece but the problem is they country has shown many a times it goes bankrupt/defaults every time WB/IMF and other tries to bail them out, so concern is that $10B might not produce results in long term and just dissolves.

How is a investment of 10 billion going to create 50k jobs, especially since it is construction work.
Even if it will create that many jobs, they would probably be short term jobs anyway.

By Andy Sambidge Tuesday, 6 May 2014 6:23 PM

Sheikh Abdullah Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, UAE foreign minister

Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan, the UAE's Foreign Minister, said in comments published by news agency WAM that Abu Dhabi-based Al Maabar International Investment will execute the multi-phase project.

The minister announced the multi-billion dollar developments during his opening remarks at the second meeting of the UAE-Greece Joint Ministerial Committee in Athens, which he co-chaired with Greek Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister, Evangelos Venizelo.

In his speech, Sheikh Abdullah emphasised that the UAE was eager to boost its economic, investment and trade relations with Greece.

"Greece is one of the key partners for the UAE, and I would like to confirm that the second meeting of the joint committee provides a precious opportunity to strengthen and leverage bilateral ties and to present practical ideas and solutions that could help in removing any obstacles hindering progress of these ties," he said.

UAE announces $9.75bn Greek investment project - Banking & Finance - ArabianBusiness.com

They are deadly against our Brother Country Turkey and we should not help our brother country enemy to develop and troubling our bother

How is a investment of 10 billion going to create 50k jobs, especially since it is construction work.
Even if it will create that many jobs, they would probably be short term jobs anyway.

It's both long and short term employment, i would guess 40,000 includes the construction phase including the sub-contractors and 5000-10000 employed in the long term directly or indirectly after the project is complete.

Back
Top Bottom