What's new

U.S. warns allies of sanctions risk

Haris Ali2140

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
U.S. warns allies of sanctions risk

India agreed to purchase the surface-to-air missile system from Russia in 2018 for about $5.2 billion.

JAISHANKAR

On a day when External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar had said that he was “reasonably convinced” of persuading the U.S. to accept India’s decision on the purchase of the Russian S-400 missile defence system, U.S. officials warned that any such purchases may risk sanctions.

“We urge all of our allies and partners to forgo transactions with Russia that risk triggering sanctions under the Countering America’s Adversaries Through Sanctions Act (CAATSA),” a State Department spokesperson told The Hindu via email hours after Mr Jaishankar’s comments on Tuesday.

India agreed to purchase the surface-to-air missile system from Russia in 2018 for about $5.2 billion, risking sanctions under the 2017 U.S. CAATSA law. Sanctions could kick in when the first payment for the equipment is made, unless the U.S. President grants a waiver. U.S. government officials have repeatedly said, in the Indian context, that countries should not assume that waivers are automatic.

Mr. Jaishankar, who is on a visit to Washington, following the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) high-level week in New York, has held or will hold meetings with U.S. government officials, including Secretary of State Michael Pompeo and Secretary of Defense Mark Esper.

The State Department however said that Mr Pompeo had not made any decisions regarding India’s transactions when asked about possible CAATSA sanctions.

“The Secretary has not made any determination regarding the significance of any transaction involving India. We cannot prejudge whether a specific transaction would result in sanctions,” a spokesperson told The Hindu.

https://www.thehindu.com/news/inter...ance-he-can-persuade-them/article29575340.ece

We will see if India gets sanctioned !!!

• India Boycotted 1984 US Olympics
  • India openly bought Oil from Iran Good 10 years with no repercussions
  • India invested in Iranian Oil port a precursor to Chinese Investment in Iran
  • India later Imprisoned 12 million Kashmiri Citizens in their own land/home
  • India made a mockery of UN security council decided to hold a referendum in Kashmir
  • Now openly investing in S-300/S-400 Tech

Last edited:
A country as large and wealthy (on a GDP PPP basis at least) as India has to get permission from the USA to make transactions with other countries, what a world we live in.
U.S is still the world's sole superpower, so i suppose India has to think twice if they are ready to face sanctions which will hurt their economy and military just because of an air defense system(Many other countries usually have to follow US sanctions since they have far more interests in the US than anywhere else).
However, i don't think it will come to that, i believe it will be solve diplomatically behind close doors and some sort of 'deal' will be arranged and compromises made. Just like the US did with Turkey, they still haven't sanctioned Turkey(still an ally) like they said, they have only temporarily suspended the country from F-35 program but not permanently. They are still negotiating about an eventual outcome and how much compromises should be made. So it will be a situation of give and take. I suppose it will be the same in this situation.

On contrary we look at Pakistan

• We participated in the Cold war, with the USA (perhaps we should have been neutral like Sweeden)
  • We attended the 1984 Olympics in Los Angeles
  • We took a Hit with Afghan refugees, 15 million - 20 Million refugees, we got no monetary help
  • We housed their Generation (Afghan) over 40 years
  • Our F16 Got sanctioned post-1999 while India continued to get Russian Jets
  • Post-2001, we again helped USA, We lost 70,000 Pakistani citizens over 10 year period
  • Afghan militants attacked Musharaf, and they killed our ex-PM, Benazir Bhutto
  • Yet we got blamed in end, to do More
  • The promised OHP, Super Cobra, F16 C/D models never got delivered between 2010-2015
  • To Top it off, we got our Coalition support reimbursement stuck in queue
  • Present age, now we see Indian soldiers abusing rights of Kashmiri by locking them up in their own homes for 50+ days and still no Sanctions on India

Last edited:
U.S is still the world's sole superpower, so i suppose India has to think twice if they are ready to face sanctions which will hurt their economy and military just because of an air defense system(Many other countries usually have to follow US sanctions since they have far more interests in the US than anywhere else).
However, i don't think it will come to that, i believe it will be solve diplomatically behind close doors and some sort of 'deal' will be arranged and compromises made. Just like the US did with Turkey, they still haven't sanctioned Turkey(still an ally) like they said, they have only temporarily suspended the country from F-35 program but not permanently.
That is a 'sanction'.

The US being the world's sole superpower means it must be a global imperial dictator?

However, i don't think it will come to that, i believe it will be solve diplomatically behind close doors and some sort of 'deal' will be arranged and compromises made. Just like the US did with Turkey, they still haven't sanctioned Turkey(still an ally) like they said, they have only temporarily suspended the country from F-35 program but not permanently. They are still negotiating about an eventual outcome and how much compromises should be made. So it will be a situation of give and take. I suppose it will be the same in this situation.

I Don't Know If Your Following The Indian Economy These Days It's Pretty Much In The Garbage Dump

On contrary we look at Pakistan

• We participated in the Cold war, with the USA (perhaps we should have been neutral like Sweeden)
  • We attended the 1984 Olympics in Los Angeles
  • We took a Hit with Afghan refugees, 15 million - 20 Million refugees, we got no monetary help
  • We housed their Generation (Afghan) over 40 years
  • Our F16 Got sanctioned post-1999 while India continued to get Russian Jets
  • Post-2001, we again helped USA, We lost 70,000 Pakistani citizens over 10 year period
  • Afghan militants attacked Musharaf, and they killed our ex-PM, Benazir Bhutto
  • Yet we got blamed in end, to do More
  • The promised OHP, Super Cobra, F16 C/D models never got delivered between 2010-2015
  • To Top it off, we got our Coalition support reimbursement stuck in queue
  • Present age, now we see Indian soldiers abusing rights of Kashmiri by locking them up in their own homes for 50+ days and still no Sanctions on India
It shows you, if you are a puppy you will always be treated as one.

I wonder if they`ll threaten the saudis too if they seriously decide to start looking at russian air defences in light of the recent failure of the western systems....

We will see if India gets sanctioned !!!

• India Boycotted 1984 US Olympics
  • India openly bought Oil from Iran Good 10 years with no repercussions
  • India invested in Iranian Oil port a precursor to Chinese Investment in Iran
  • India later Imprisoned 12 million Kashmiri Citizens in their own land/home
  • India made a mockery of UN security council decided to hold a referendum in Kashmir
  • Now openly investing in S-300/S-400 Tech
i think you're right the US isnt likely to sanction India. Even if US does, thy wont be serious. Why? US plans to contain China automatically fail without support from India. simple. US wont "irritate" India enough to make India build real animosity against US..

The US does not want the F35 to fly anywhere near the S400 in peacetime, so Turkey's F35 program is dead.

India will also not be offered the F35. Those are the non negotiables for the US.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom