What's new

U.S. refused to sell F-16s to Bangladesh

Please do not forget indian pressure on this deal also........an other reason is that BD is friendly country with china

Then why US sells f 16 to Pakistan ? Pakistan is also very friendly to China... :disagree:

US has taken the right stand i think ... Bangladesh does not need to waste on buying non usable items

Please do not forget indian pressure on this deal also........an other reason is that BD is friendly country with china

That is a flight of fanciful imagination.

If India had any problems, it would not be BD getting F 16, and instead Pakistan getting the same.

Or do you feel BD is a stronger nation with a more efficient military than Pakistan?

It's not about affordability! It's just that the limited number of high tech latest block F-16s they manufacture now have been reserved for Pakistan to fight the low tech Taliban!! :cheesy:

The article was about 1999, it was a different situation back then (doh!)

if one door closed ALLAH will open for you 100 doors .world will never end on US fighters .important is money and economy .

if one door closed ALLAH will open for you 100 doors .world will never end on US fighters .important is money and economy .

That is not quite a solution in the real world.

If Bangladesh feels they require the aircraft, they will get it. If the US fighters are the best and BD does not get it, then it will not be cost compatible.

In the defence realm, one requires the best and not the second best.

Bangaldesh's economy can afford the best and even then, ensure that there is still money left in the kitty to carry out other nation building activities or so the Bangaldeshi posters lead us to believe.

The issue is - On what grounds did they refuse and why? Bangladesh has not shown any anti US sentiments.

That is not quite a solution in the real world.

If Bangladesh feels they require the aircraft, they will get it. If the US fighters are the best and BD does not get it, then it will not be cost compatible.

In the defence realm, one requires the best and not the second best.

Bangaldesh's economy can afford the best and even then, ensure that there is still money left in the kitty to carry out other nation building activities or so the Bangaldeshi posters lead us to believe.

The issue is - On what grounds did they refuse and why? Bangladesh has not shown any anti US sentiments.

I can only think of one thing, Fear... USA is feared what if the F16 technology is stolen by some specific country... USA has strong CIA resources in Pakistan to avoid some country to steal there technology..

Where as in Bangladesh there CIA are not that capable...In recent days we saw Some third country Engineers (Other than USA-PAK) were near to there (USA) P3C Orion... Infact CIA agents were also there to avoid the technology theft...

Fear of Technology theft is only thing what stops USA...

Thats a silly ground Bangladesh has interest to help any third country to steal us technology

Thats a silly ground Bangladesh has interest to help any third country to steal us technology

Its silly But True....

I always wanted that Bangladesh should go for F16, F16 is the only Machine which is Good value for money, Tried and Tested.. Best in Its class...
But My wish will not push Uncle SAM to change their mind... I think if Bangladesh again pitch for it, They may get this mighty machine...

But now i think F-16's charm is fading with emerges of 4++ generation fighters in coming days . it would be anice fighter if we could get it in 1999 but now when we will get this beast in our inventory most of the country will start discarding it out of inventory and star getting typhoon rafle or F-35 class fighter so at the end we will have a best fighter of old time though it will continue to serve 2030 probably but thats mean at best 20 years use time for us even if we get it in 2012/2013 .
but still I think if now they decided to sell it with large discount we can go for it

US planes are expensive. But, at $35million a piece 48 units of F-18 Hornets will cost around $1.7 billion, and not $4billion. Yet, it is a big sum of money, but today's Bangladesh can certainly afford these. Payment will not be made in one single year, I believe.

brother i think you have not read about the Australian aquisition of 24 F/A 18 E/F, that cost them more than 2 billion dollars. so sorry but one cann't get 3 sqds in 1.7b $ as you have mentioned. Even J10's 2 sqds that we will be getting cost about 1.5 b$.

US planes are expensive. But, at $35million a piece 48 units of F-18 Hornets will cost around $1.7 billion, and not $4billion. Yet, it is a big sum of money, but today's Bangladesh can certainly afford these. Payment will not be made in one single year, I believe.

Do not also get misled by our defence budget of about $1.6 billion. This is for salaries and maintenance. Weapons are purchased according to our need and availability of foreign currency. It is unrelated to the defence budget which is spent in local currency. Weapons is something like purchasing rice from abroad. Rice purchasing is not covered in the budget. We pay in dollars and rice comes in. It is same with weapons.

BAF has not yet decided which planes it will induct. I have heard that it is also considering SU-30 or something better. Note that the present govt has better relations with Russia than it has with USA. As it was before, this time also USA may refuse to sell citing a case of poor BD.

I couldn't help but laugh at this guy's posts about military procurement and warfare :rofl:

We do not need F/A-18 I don't think it would be good for the economy as well, for now Bangladesh need to concentrate on Economy and political stability if we do not accomplish the major goals of our country such as corruption how in hell are we going to afford such aircraft and maintain this we need to contribute more to manufacturing sector as well as tourism sector. Do not think about F/A-18's something that is not impossible for BD to get but is not necessary for our military. For now we must go for cheaper aircraft such as J-10B anything that will resist threats and to maintain airspace. We all know that defence is major to protect the airspace as well as the bay of bengal, but it is very unlikely that a major conflict will take place and if it does then cry me a river futhermore as talking about our Economy we need to build economy to certain point and get rid of such bull s h i t leadership. Then if we see any progress and for sure we know that political instability will not disturb our Economy, we can then start such procurements for our Armed Forces.
Anything is possible guys.

But now i think F-16's charm is fading with emerges of 4++ generation fighters in coming days . it would be anice fighter if we could get it in 1999 but now when we will get this beast in our inventory most of the country will start discarding it out of inventory and star getting typhoon rafle or F-35 class fighter so at the end we will have a best fighter of old time though it will continue to serve 2030 probably but thats mean at best 20 years use time for us even if we get it in 2012/2013 .
but still I think if now they decided to sell it with large discount we can go for it

F-16 Blk 60 is pretty good. Both the Rafale and F-16 Blk 60 are 4.5G fighters. Even if we have the money, we would have to be extremely lucky to get something like the F-35 or any fifth generation fighter for that matter.

Going to 5th Generation from 3.5th Generation would be quite tough and quite frankly nightmare for Logistics.F16 would have been of course best choice but i highly highly doubt that US would release AIM120 to Bangladesh so why go all the trouble.Just get Gripens NG from Sweden with no sanctions and no worries enjoy the toys.

Going to 5th Generation from 3.5th Generation would be quite tough and quite frankly nightmare for Logistics.F16 would have been of course best choice but i highly highly doubt that US would release AIM120 to Bangladesh so why go all the trouble.Just get Gripens NG from Sweden with no sanctions and no worries enjoy the toys.

Dont forget Gripen house many US components and most of the weapons used by Gripen are of US origin , If they cant allow there weapons like Aim-120 or other to Bangladesh so what is the surety that they will not block gripens sale to Bangladesh ? or later will not embargo it? Gripen sale is dependent of US

Back
Top Bottom