What's new

U.S. AID efforts towards education and energy in Pakistan

CENTCOM

PROFESSIONAL
Reaction score
Country
United States
Among other things, Today, Pakistan is challenged by lack of energy and education for all. The two sectors the United States is working directly to benefit the Pakistani public. We have been contributing heavily towards energy projects. Out of the 800 megawatts that U.S.-funded projects have brought for Pakistani businesses and families, approximately 700 megawatts were added through renovation of the Tarbela Dam in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, the Jamshoro Thermal Power Plant in Sindh, and the Muzaffargharh Thermal Power Plant in Punjab as well as construction of the Satpara Dam in Gilgit-Baltistan. The Satpara Dam that the United States is helping to complete is already producing 13.8 megawatts of power. Once fully operational, the dam will generate 17.6 megawatts, mitigate flooding, store water for irrigation, and provide 3.1 million gallons of water per day for homes throughout the Skardu Valley. At the Muzaffargharh Thermal Power Plant, the U.S.-financed rehabilitation has restored 480 megawatts in production capacity that had been lost over the years due to the aging of the equipment. USAID has helped to repair and replace worn-out equipment, modernize technologies, and conduct maintenance to minimize break downs and restore lost productivity. With U.S. funding, Pakistan has also restored 150 megawatts in production capacity at Jamshoro and 128 megawatts at Tarbela. The United States and Pakistan are also cooperating on the completion of the Gomal Zam Dam in South Waziristan and renovation of the Guddu Thermal Power Plant in Sindh. Gomal Zam will add 17.4 megawatts in power production, while Guddu – 75 megawatts. These are on-going projects and it is estimated that by next year, The U.S. funded projects will provide electricity to three million households in Pakistan.

On the creation of Pakistan, the Quaid-e-Azam had said to the youngest of Pakistanis: “You must concentrate on gaining knowledge and education. It is your foremost responsibility. Political awareness of the era is also part of your education. You must be aware of international events and environment. Education is a matter of life and death for our country.” The United States through US AID has been instrumental in the field of education. One of our other major focuses in Pakistan has been education. We have invested in educational infrastructure as well as training of teachers, and we continue to do so. We understand that education is the only way a young country like Pakistan can compete and succeed in this challenging world.

The United States realizes the challenges Pakistan faces toady, and we have been spending millions of dollars to help a common man who wants to have light in his house and wants to send his children to school. We will continue to work with the nation of Pakistan and help their dreams come true.

Ali Khan
DET, United States Central Command

We appreciate any help that comes to Pakistan. After all, it is the US taxpayers money. However, USAID must work in the USA as well to tell Americans that these projects are actually bringing benefits to Pakistan, and that Pakistani nation is committed to working with USA and improving ties.

While i highly appreciate the help of the American people in the area of energy. I would like to see focus shift towards 'higher education' as there is no American university campus in Pakistan. If US wants to end terrorism, it will be ended through education.

While i highly appreciate the help of the American people in the area of energy. I would like to see focus shift towards 'higher education' as there is no American university campus in Pakistan. If US wants to end terrorism, it will be ended through education.

If I am not mistaken there was a collaboration in a university project called MEDIA Uni in Islamabad.

If I am not mistaken there was a collaboration in a university project called MEDIA Uni in Islamabad.

One is not enough we need atleast 12 state of the art university across the Pakistan and we should asked advance countries to help us out

One is not enough we need atleast 12 state of the art university across the Pakistan and we should asked advance countries to help us out

Education is a business in advance countries, not a service. I think you should say lets talk business.. if we can give them the benefit they are looking for, why not, but this hurts their own business at home countries so, probably wont be interested much.

I hope our sold-out-leaders have the spine to respectfully decline any further Aid for they come with too many strings attached to them !

@CENTCOM and @Armstrong

I know I may get pounded by the so-called Pakistani nationalists. But please hear me out.

The term AID or more specifically US AID for Pakistan reminds me of the hilarious movie "Lost in translation" (Lost in Translation (2003)/IMDB where the hero Bill Murray is stuck in a place where most people do not understand him.

Americans in general and defense department in particular loves 3 or 4 letter terms to speed up yet simplify communication. Hence the coining of term “US AID” or American Assistance for International Development.

So

American perspective the way I understand is:

US AID - is meant to say "American Assistance ...." for Pakistan in response to "Pakistani Assistance ...." for the US.

But in Pakistani street lingo

US AID is in fact US "aid" means a dole out (or worse Baksheesh - Wiki for a beggar) from US to poor pathetic country.

Unfortunately this "lost in translation" feeds into paranoia and national pride of Pakistanis as per some of the most vocal groups.

The money flow from US to Pakistan since 1947 was never meant to be Baksheesh for a beggar.

It has always been a US assistance, in response to the assistance from Pakistan.

This "assistance" from Pakistan has mostly been related to military, and thus money flow from US has been channeled to Pakitani military .

However it will be travesty to say that All of the US assisstance has been for Pakistani military.

Why?

Because this thread shows, the hard currency aka dollars are used to build infrastructure AND pay for the education as well.

In the 70s and 80s US assisstance helped great deal with the expansion of electricity grid (WB and ADB chipped in too) and reclamation of water logged agricultural lands.

In the 90s US assisstance helped 100s of Pakistani students to study for MS and PhD in the US schools with per student costs ranging from $100,000 to $300,000 fees + living expenses for the length of the degree program.

Therefore I respectfully suggest that both Americans and Pakistanis must use a different term for the moneys sent to Pakistan under US Assisstance programs.

Perhaps call it

--- Payment for geo assistance
--- Payment for strategic assistance

Or just be honest and call the spade a spade, and say

--- Payment to Pakistan for military Services to the US

That way ,

the money will not be considered Baksheesh and instead be treated like payment for services in a relatively similar fashion such as:

Chinese companies get payment from US companies for manufacturing services
or

Indian companies get payment from US companies for call centers etc.

In all these cases

US hard currency aka Dollars are transfered from the US to the Chinese or Pakistani or Indian governments’ piggy bank.

And

All these governments use this hard currency to pay for oil, chemical or food imports AND military equipment development/purchase.

I urge you all not to to dismiss this post as some sort of word smithing.

because

an update in the terminologies is the need of the hour for long term healthy relationship between the US and Pakistan.

Thank you.

p.s.

1.When India buys latest weapons from Russia/France/EU, guess how does it pay billions for the purchase? With Dollars earned from providing services to USA

2. When China builds station in space, guess how does it pay billions for its components? With dollars earned from providing services to US and EU

3. When Pakistani military gets US F-16s and Chinese JF-17, guess how does it pay billions for the purchase? with dollars earned from providing services to US and EU

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom